• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top 5 necessaries in every serious disc golfers bag... Ready go!

With Hockey pucks coming in at a heavty 6 ounces, a lacrosse ball at 5 ounces is a superior choice.

I have used a rubber hardball for years. It has sat in the bottom of my tall drink holder on my bag for ever. Even doubles as a beer can spacer in the drink pocket...making it far more accessible.

I just seem to be able to throw a hardball more accurately than a hockey puck. I do not know the weight though. I think it is lighter than a lacrosse ball, which may mean you can throw it further and harder, but it is less effective in knocking a stubborn disc loose.

Water bottle,
towel,
minis (I have multiple minis so I can hand them out to players who don't have one),
retriever of some kind (pole, slingshot, hockey puck, stone, whatever),
marker (for marking your name/number/etc on a disc or hopefully, getting your group to sign an Ace disc).

-Disc retriever of some kind (though I rarely play near water)
-Towel
-Minis (double as can holders in the bottom of my bag's side pockets
-Marker
-Tick Key (I rarely have to use it)

There's probably several other things in there though.

Hydration. Pencils. Sharpie. Mini. A pocket large enough to hold articles of clothing.

That last one - seriously. I love my Lat64 E3 because I can throw a hoodie, long sleeve tee, and three pairs of extra socks in there. Worth it completely to have a bag with that space.

With Hockey pucks coming in at a heavty 6 ounces, a lacrosse ball at 5 ounces is a superior choice.

I have tried golf ball, baseball … lots of balls. But the combination of spin and mass make the hockey puck the best tree extraction tool I've come across to date. I had to paint it yellow as it's too easy to lose :)

Ibuprofen
Burts bees lip balm
Birdie bag(South texas)
Zip ties
Hydrolyte in hydroflask

Mosquito repellant
Alcohol to remove poison ivy oils
Water
Toilet Paper
Self Defense Item

h20 bottle
towel
deet
*hand sanitizer
drying powder

*replaced poison ivy removal cream in the bag during covid

After cutting my foot the other day feeling around in a muddy creek for an FD I didn't want to lose, I'm considering adding some of those slip on beach shoes.

Water Bottle
Self Defense
Bug Spray
Sun Block
Disc Retriever

and I've got Toilet Paper as the Sixth Man!

Water
Nail clippers
Slingshot (Kwik-Stik stays in the car if I need it)
Towel
Resistance Band (old man's gotta stretch)

So confused about the need for toilet paper. I don't even carry it on long hikes, and have never needed it. And couldn't you just leave it in the car?

It pretty interesting to see what different players feel they must have in their bag.

Other than discs, here are the things that pretty much are always in my bag, every round:

1) Water
2) Towel
3) Retriever
4) Insect repellent
5) Mini

I keep a nail clipper, sun screen, and extra socks in my car.

There's always a sharpie in my bag, but I don't really need it/hardly use it. Handi pack of Kleenex, too, but I can live without it.

There's an empty side pocket that's just barely large enough to fit an XL hoodie when I need to shed it.

Last edited:
1. Water
2. Towel
3. Gum- keeps me focused and relaxed.
4. Insect repellent
5. Camera- when not taking course photos, taking photos of critters.

I carry so much stuff in my bag it's insane. I bought a Zuca Ranger Backpack cart because I could no longer carry all that weight on my shoulders.

Here are 5 categories of things I always carry: (besides my discs and mini)

1. Retrievers (Kwik Stik and a Golden Retriever)

2. First Aid (Band Aids, Goody Powders, Bug Spray, Neosporin)

3. Hardware (Rangefinder, Pliers, Backup Wheel Lug, Umbrella Holder, Rainfly, Whisk Broom, Pocket Knife)

4. Towels (disc towel, face towel, new unused towel)

5. Miscellaneous (Pens, Pencils, Sharpie, Paper Scorecards for all local courses, Carbineers, Lighter, Rosin Bag)

I could live without all but the towels, retrievers and rosin bag, if I was forced to, at gun point.

Latest posts