• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top DG/Brewery Destination ?

Most people haven't gotten to try what I would call our best brewery, the Redwood Curtain Brewery, named after the course. They have some of my favorite beers.

I got to try it!:hfive: We got us a growler when we were there.;)
On a side note, that whole area out in NorCal is REALLY big on the IPA's. I like a good IPA but it was almost overwhelming after 7 brewery stops.:sick: My appetite is more suited to midwest breweries TBO.:)

The Northeast coast isn't a bad brewery/disc golf trip. Start in Boston with the Sam Adams brewery. Heading north on 95 you can then play Pye Brook and Amesbury before crossing into NH. In NH you've got the Red Hook Brewery and Bellamy Park for disc golf. Continue north to Portland ME with a bounty of courses and the Shipyard brewery.

Two subjects near and dear to my heart. For the suburban philadelphia crowd Victory brewpub is in Downingtown PA. It has a wide array of beers and great food. It's a little under a half hour from both French Creek and Camp Sankanac

While I'd love to rep my home town, the best brewery/dg combos I've found have been in Cali. Anderson Valley is awesome, with DG and Beer on the same property.

I agree with DSKJNKY that the Moylan's/Stafford Lake combo is the champ. I love Moylan's beer (sadly the bombers that make it to Chicago are far from fresh). Stafford Lake is one of two 5's that I've given out of 80some courses played.

Pagosa Springs, Colorado is home to a great disc golf course Reservoir Hill. Good beer can be found at Pagosa Brewing Co. It has the German beer garden setup, good food, a play area for the kids and is dog friendly.

The local DG club is working on getting a second course in the ground and I belive a 9 holer was recently put in farther outside of town in the Aspen Springs Metro area.

...but I don't know about it being a "top destination"

FWIW, the local microbrew situation in central texas is improving. It still doesn't compete with some of the other places, but the beer is solid and the golf is top notch. We'd probably make a top25 list if someone were putting one together.

Southern Star Brewery in Conroe, TX has Shawshank a few minutes up the road... Then if you want the hour+ drive downtown, there's St. Arnold Brewery, but unfortunately, there are no "destination" courses close to that one. The dudes at Southern Star all play DG too and sponsor many tournaments in the area. Good folks, and their Bombshell Blonde is in my top 5.

and ya, I grew up in vista, my family still lives there. I actually talked to you about brengle terrace in PMs a month or 2 ago...my dad helped with some of the work crews. (I'm sure he was the oldest guy there hah!)

That's right! You make a good point, there is a good bit of travel required between some of the breweries here. If you get out to Vista again soon, Mother Earth opened a tap house downtown, about a mile or two from the new course. It makes for a good day.

As a SE Pennsylvanian, I see that the victory/sankanac/french creek combo stands, the iron hill/iron hill and the long trout trip.

For me though, it's great to get out to Rowland Park in Akron, PA and then hit up the Stoudt's brewery that is only 10 minutes away. Also great during Octoberfest.

Elk Mountain in Plumtree, NC -- two 18-hole courses, and The Blind Squirrel Brewery & Pro Shop.

First off, the disc golf is high caliber. I'll stop there, check the course info/reviews, premium private mountain disc golf.

You can also take a brewing class from the brewmeisters, or shop for all your home brew needs. They grow a few diferent varieties of hops on-site, and you can buy yeast strains, various grains, tubing, tanks, all the stuff you need to brew for yew.

Agreeing with BennettUA

Elk Mountain has two courses, a long and a short. Both beautiful. The facilities are inviting, to say the least. Good courses and good beer. Also nearby is Dry County Brewing (and pizza). Also good beer (and good pizza).

Only about 15 minutes away (Dukes of Hazzard style mountain shortcuts) is Sugaree, which is just awesome. A few months ago I did Sugaree>Blind Squirrel beers>Elk Mtn shorts>Dry County beers and pizza. Pretty good day.

It shocks me that - most of the folks I talk to who live and play in Charlotte - have never made it to these courses (or breweries).
Although - there are a few other hidden mtn courses (and breweries) up there that I've yet to explore myself. All the more reason to call in sick tomorrow...

Take a couple day vacation and drive around Wisconsin. Great DG and plenty of breweries. Best combo state in general.:thmbup:

:clap::clap::clap:

Steven's Point has Point Brewery. Small. Delicious. Great story.

It also has Standing Rocks, Yulga and Big Eau Plein within 20 minutes of the brewery. If camping is your thing there are three county parks that run you 20 a night that include electric. Quiet. Gorgeous.

Yea, the consensus #1...but where do you go from here ?

Austin, TX has a TON of DG and breweries, getting new ones all the time.

Best Courses
Circle C
Roy Guerrero
Austin Ridge
East Metro
Searight
Wilco

Best Breweries
(512)
Jester King
Live Oak
Austin Beerworks
Hops & Grains
Independence
Uncle Billy's
Thirsty Planet

It's getting up there with Portland, although our terrain is not nearly as beautiful. We are like cosmic twin cities in many ways, just one is on the West Coast and one is on the Third Coast!

Unfortunately nobody has combined the idea of a destination golf course with a brewery onsite yet...

Last edited:
To add to that, the local club has been doing a great job of turning Stub Stewart (just west of Horning's) into a gem of a woods course, we just opened a new championship course in Blue Lake Park this summer, Milo McIver is just east of town, and Trojan is a little ways out of town, but an amazing water course.

As for the beer scene, there are new breweries and brew pubs popping up all the time. It's almost getting to be like the reaction you get from seeing a Starbucks on every block (that may be just a NW thing.) For example, Cascade Brewing is directly across the street from another great brewery, The Green Dragon. We even have a Rogue Brew Pub on campus at Portland State.

If you're into wine, the best Pinot Noirs in America (arguably the world) are grown 30 minutes SW of Portland in the Dundee Hills. There are a few fun disc golf courses out that way, but nothing world class. Also, Stoller Vineyards has 5-6 baskets that they have out in their fields seasonally.

Basically, you should all come visit Portland and watch worlds in 2014. All of you.

Yes.

there are three breweries around steven's point. Central waters in Amherst, Oso's in plover and then Point.; Central waters is about 5 miles from standing rocks

Portland is the obvious choice.

However, it blows my mind that no one has even mentioned Minneapolis yet. As far as breweries go, Surly and Minneapolis Town Hall are top tier breweries in the United States. Surly may not count yet because they don't have a pub to sit in, but they are currently working on building a destination brewery that might be one of the best in the United States.

As far as the disc golf goes, 10 courses with 4 disc ratings including the #3 ranked on DGCR.

I would say Minneapolis could easily be considered #2 once Surly has their brewpub built.

http://mnbeer.com/breweries/ --there is no other state with as many disc golf courses surrounding any of the MN breweries and like quoted many good ratings. Craft beers and brewpubs are blowing up in this area as well as disc golf courses. The twin cities alone has enough courses and breweries to keep you busy for a week easy and not have to drive 1000000 miles. Twin Cities baby!

Latest posts