• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top of Intermediate or Bottom of Advanced?

Treeplant

Bogey Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Curious as to how people feel about the jump from intermediate to advanced.

I've only played 3 official tournaments, where I've placed 1st, 3rd, 4th in pools of 15-20 players in my division. I've played pretty average rounds doing that, I don't think I played too far above or below my skill level. The 3rd and 4th placings I was only a couple of strokes off the winning score.

I drive 300' backhand with pretty decent consistency, 275' forehand with better consistency, and have 225' thumbers and tomahawks that aren't bad. My upshot game within 200' is pretty good both forehand and backhand, I've just never taken the time to learn putting and shoot under 50% outside of 10 feet (which is something I'm going to seriously work on this winter).

It seems clear that I have the choice of being the top of intermediate or the bottom of advanced. I was planning on moving up to advanced, but someone recently told me that the advanced guys (especially the better guys) are annoyed at bottom-feeders who they get paired with on the first round of tournaments.

I wouldn't have thought this was a thing, but I thought I'd ask the question on here. Even though my PDGA rating isn't even close to 925 or 950 or whatever it is (I don't have an official rating yet as I only registered for a PDGA membership over the weekend), is it okay to move up to advanced and get my ass kicked? From my vantage point I'm just swelling the swag prize pool for the top advanced players, who cares? I'd rather get better by being exposed to better players than try to collect more swag by placing high in Intermediate, plus I think it's comical how serious some of the intermediate guys take it and I don't like playing the top card with guys who think we're playing for the Superbowl or something. It's always nice to win of course, but I really don't care much if I win in intermediate or not (advanced would feel different I think.)

So, again, I ask is it okay to jump up to advanced even though I know I have no shot at being competitive? Or should I stay in Intermediate until I can at least be mildly competitive? This feels like one of those "do whatever you want" things, but I've recently moved to a new city and I want to fit in comfortably with the disc golf crowd. If it seems like the advanced guys are going to resent having someone they don't feel belongs playing up with them I'd probably just stick with intermediate. I kind of feel like once I go up to advanced it's wrong to drop back down to intermediate (regardless of PDGA rating), which is why I'm giving this some thought.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I say it's your entry fee and you do what you want with it. Try advanced, and if you find the experience overwhelming, move back down.

I always liked to 'play up' in chess, because playing the better competition made me a better chessplayer, and my rating would rise faster. It's a different story in Disc Golf, though... will 'playing up' make you a better player?

So my $0.02 advice is to play Intermediate until you're winning tournaments with some regularity, and then make the jump. Of course, entry fees and other considerations will apply...

As ever, JMHO, YMMV.

Play up. Anyone that has a little brain will realize another player in theiron pool is a good thing. Anyone that wants to butch about it, just assume they are the kind of people that are way to competitive at slow pitch softball.

I'm currently a 900-rated player and I play both divisions depending on a few factors. Typically I play INT. Until my rating goes up to the 930 range, I plan on playing most events...especially A & B Tier events. If it's the tourney has a small division size, is a C-Tier event, or is held at a local course that I'm familiar with, I might bump up to ADV and get a beat-down to humble myself.

The best part about moving up is the chance to play with better golfers. I learn more playing ADV and typically have good card mates that are passionate about the game. If I stay in INT, I have a much better shot at winning prizes (although I have more than enough plastic at this point). The downside to playing INT is getting carded with guys that are far too serious or poor sports. It doesn't happen often, but once in awhile a tourney experience is lessened by a player that throws tantrums or trash talks.

I would recommend you play both. Check out the course(s) you'll be playing. Wait awhile to register and see where everyone else is playing. Make an informed decision and be for sure you're having fun out there. Fun is pretty important...to me at least!

Play up. Anyone that has a little brain will realize another player in theiron pool is a good thing. Anyone that wants to butch about it, just assume they are the kind of people that are way to competitive at slow pitch softball.

Huh? I'm too sober to understand this post....

A buddy of mine is similar to you(OP). He plays advanced. He doesn't have big distance. @350 max distance. He has a weak fh though. What he does have though, is he's money from about 200' in. He's a real good putter as well. This weekend because of a snafu with the cards, he got put on a card with the top open players. One is a sponsored player that is rated close to 1000 and another is 975ish. He was a little freaked out at first. I think he even apologized before the round. They were awesome. Throwing shots he never saw as an option. When they would easily bomb 400+ over obstacles and he would lay up, they would say "Great shot. You gotta play your game." Nothing but encouraging to him. He played poorly, but said it was the most fun he's had in tourney round. Maybe he got lucky and found a couple real cool dudes. But I believe, for the most part, you'll find an experience similar to this, than a negative experience. Side note: the nearly 1000 rated player heard about my Star Destroyer being picked up and not returned, and gave me one of his for a replacement. I might not throw the thing just because I'd hate to lose it after he went out of his way to be so cool.

someone recently told me that the advanced guys (especially the better guys) are annoyed at bottom-feeders who they get paired with on the first round of tournaments.

This is not even remotely the case. The number of throws you take has nothing to do with how you are as a card mate. As long as you follow proper tournament procedures and don't become a bother to the other players on the card, no one will have a problem with you being on their card.

If you play Advanced and finish out of the funny money, you helped pad the funny money pool for the top finishers and you helped them get more points. They should welcome you with open arms! ;)

If it seems like the advanced guys are going to resent having someone they don't feel belongs playing up with them I'd probably just stick with intermediate.

It's just the opposite---they'll be hounding you to play up so your money can add to their prizes.

You were right, it's a do-what-you-want deal. Don't worry about what other people think, or say. Play up if you want to compete against better players, play your rating if you want to compete with similar players to yourself. Neither is right, or wrong.

This is not even remotely the case. The number of throws you take has nothing to do with how you are as a card mate. As long as you follow proper tournament procedures and don't become a bother to the other players on the card, no one will have a problem with you being on their card.

100% agree.
As a middle of the pack to upper 1/3 Advanced player, some of the best cardmates I've had were INT guys playing "up." Just be a good cardmate regardless of division.

I second this. As long as you follow proper golf etiquette, not walking ahead of the group, realize when you are up, and generally not being a distraction on the course you will fit in fine with any Advance group.

You have to really feel out your area, honestly. Here, in Colorado, no one really plays your rating so MA2 is more like MA3 in other areas...it's really anyone's ballgame. MA1 is much more competitive for the same 10 or so guys, with everyone else slowly gaining ground, if that makes sense.

I recommend playing up at least once. I do it every once in awhile...it hasn't helped my game in any way, but it's still a totally different way of playing disc golf. Much more serious and focused. At least around here. I've never really bought the whole "moving up will make you a better player" thing, because after the first round you're just playing with the other people who moved up and are at your skill level as well. That doesnt mean it is worthless. Sometimes it can be even more fun because the pressure is off and you can just enjoy playing. You know that you aren't as good as the guys who will win, so you can laugh off your mistakes more.

Try Advanced. When you surround yourself with higher talent it helps improve your game as well. It sounds like you're skilled enough to make a run at it. Why not!? I'm in the same boat, but on the cusp of Adv and Open. I get called a bagger when I win Advanced, so . I guess I gotta move up ;)

More than likely, if you're getting called a bagger, you're in the right class.

If you were bagging, you'd know it.

Maybe try playing INT in an A tier and ADV in the lower tiers. You mentioned you didn't play that well and still got top 5 in INT, maybe it is time to move up and force yourself to play well to get paid.

"I drive 300' backhand with pretty decent consistency, 275' forehand"

That's 100% an intermediate skill set for sure. Advanced players have no ratings cap and you could literally be playing with pro caliber players. I say stick to intermediate until your ratings cap forces you to move up. But...nothing wrong with playing advanced once in a while to compare your game to theirs. You'll probably notice the biggest difference will be distance and better putting from outside the circle.

You have to really feel out your area, honestly. Here, in Colorado, no one really plays your rating so MA2 is more like MA3 in other areas...it's really anyone's ballgame. MA1 is much more competitive for the same 10 or so guys, with everyone else slowly gaining ground, if that makes sense.

I recommend playing up at least once. I do it every once in awhile...it hasn't helped my game in any way, but it's still a totally different way of playing disc golf. Much more serious and focused. At least around here. I've never really bought the whole "moving up will make you a better player" thing, because after the first round you're just playing with the other people who moved up and are at your skill level as well. That doesnt mean it is worthless. Sometimes it can be even more fun because the pressure is off and you can just enjoy playing. You know that you aren't as good as the guys who will win, so you can laugh off your mistakes more.

i agree 100% with what i highlighted in bold. For example, I've watched many 890ish rated players spend an entire season playing adv with this mindset only to never cash out and still be at roughly the same rating by the end of the season. Playing with better players may open your eyes to new lines and ideas but the only thing that will improve your game dramatically is getting out in a field and working on form.

Any Advanced player (or any division for that matter) who gets upset or bent out of shape about a player or players playing up in their division is dumb. As others have said, the "bottom feeders" are just padding the purse for the guys that "belong" anyway. But even if there is no payout to be won because the event is a True Amateur deal, it feels better on the ego to say you finished 3rd out of 25 rather than 3rd out of 15, doesn't it?

On the other hand, it would be a valid gripe if a player was upset because he has to play a round with inferior players because the TD mixed groups and those inferior players are not in his/her division. But that has no bearing at all on people playing up to challenge themselves. When it comes to choosing a division or a tournament in general, never feel like not being good enough is a reason to not play.