• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Player Ratings Over Time

And climbing. 1059, 1085, 1058, and 1027 for the win at LVC is a good weekend of disc golf. That 1027 final rd was Heimberg's first round in 2019 below his rating. Clearly the pressure got to him on the front 9 and he used up all his cushion before going bonkers on the back 9. Other than the nerves showing on R4 Front 9, he was almost flawless this weekend.

Would not be surprised to see him crack the top 3 rated players pretty soon. His rating has absolutely sky rocketed. His rating will likely take a hit when the tours hit the woods, but these early season open courses play right into his game. Very similar style to Eagle, who also excels at courses where big distance provides an advantage.

At earlier 2019 B tiers this season Calvin crushed it, too. 1043, 1042 at Barnett Park Championships. Then went 1048, 1087, 1065 at the SW FL Open.

I got ambitious and went ahead and averaged his rd rating since after the 2018 DGPT Championships (last big event of 2018). Over his last 29 rounds Calvin Heimburg has averaged 1053 rated golf. That's still 12 points above his current rating, and he has some relatively low rated rounds to drop from counting at the next ratings update. It's the players with (relatively) bad rounds to drop that climb the fastest. Example Eagle last season.

Does 1000 mean what it meant 3, 5, 10, 20 years ago? I suspect it doesn't and my follow up question, since I dont have access to the data in an easily analyzable format, is 1020/1025+ now where the elite live? Is it higher? =)

No indication that the meaning of 1000 rating has changed in relation to scores and SSA on many courses. There are simply more players rated over 1000 which is what you would expect based on growth at the tip of the ratings pyramid. A good example of course rating stability is at the Memorial where the SSA on two open courses has remained relatively stable, only subject to wind factors, over many years. Open courses like the Memorial is where improved technology for players throwing longer would be more likely to lower the SSA compared to more wooded courses.

Updated 1040 Club:

Ken Climo
Paul McBeth
Ricky Wysocki
Eagle McMahon
Nate Doss
Dave Feldberg
Nikko Locastro
Simon Lizotte
Cale Leiviska
Josh Anthon
Will Schusterick
KJ Nybo
Jesper Lundmark
Shane Seal
Darrell Nodland
Matt Orum
Calvin Heimburg
Nate Sexton
Chris Dickerson
Manabu Kajiyama - Oct 2018

+ Scott Withers

McBeth +1 to an ATH of 1062
Eagle and Ricky have slipped, due to recent lackluster rounds (Silver Cup not in Ricky's rating yet)
Heimburg now the 2nd highest-rated player in the world. Simon is now 3rd.

a clear grouping on the FPO side, Paige P is 11 points ahead of a Tattar, Salonen, Hokom, Allen and Bloomroos then a big just again to the rest.

interesting to see that Tattar is the 2nd highest rated FPO player, but i have not seen her play in a LONG time

a clear grouping on the FPO side, Paige P is 11 points ahead of a Tattar, Salonen, Hokom, Allen and Bloomroos then a big just again to the rest.

interesting to see that Tattar is the 2nd highest rated FPO player, but i have not seen her play in a LONG time

She's played a few events this year but it doesn't seem that she's really played any events that had coverage let alone FPO coverage.

Hopefully the Euro players can get back over to the state next year. There are some new MPO guys coming up the ratings list that I don't recognize but its really those 3 women that would make a difference on tour. Having 3 more people that could get hot on a particular weekend to give Paige a challenge when she's playing well is good for everyone involved.

She's played a few events this year but it doesn't seem that she's really played any events that had coverage let alone FPO coverage.

Hopefully the Euro players can get back over to the state next year. There are some new MPO guys coming up the ratings list that I don't recognize but its really those 3 women that would make a difference on tour. Having 3 more people that could get hot on a particular weekend to give Paige a challenge when she's playing well is good for everyone involved.

Yes to this. . it´s bad for FPO to not have three of the top 6 players on tour. . let´s hope they can play in 2021
What will it take for them to be allowed to play in 2021?

Feels lite all of them really started to commit fulltime to the tour in late 2019 than this happened

Yes to this. . it´s bad for FPO to not have three of the top 6 players on tour. . let´s hope they can play in 2021
What will it take for them to be allowed to play in 2021?

Feels lite all of them really started to commit fulltime to the tour in late 2019 than this happened

I'm not sure what our travel restrictions are at the moment. At the very least, I think the NTs need to start back up. Need those 6-8 events to fill in some of the downtime from the DGPT to make it more financially tempting for them...

… a good vaccine probably wouldn't hurt.;)

If the European elite women's game keeps growing perhaps it will be ladies from the States travelling to Europe for the big FPO tournaments rather than the other way around.

It would be interesting to see what that could do for the FPO side of the sport.

To have big "FPO only" tournaments in Finland could draw a big crowd as Eveliina and Henna both could win such an event.
Probably better for FPO to be a "FPO only" than to be a "ad on" to MPO

....but I think you'll see if the chart was expanded a pretty significant increase in 1020+ rated players compared to even 5 years ago.
I don't know why this phenomena exists, but it's there.

My well publicized thoughts on that is simply because we're rating the better players among themselves more than ever. If the elite MPO pros only play DGPT events, they're not being rated against lower rated ams or FPO players who might shoot lights out once in a while and impact round ratings. So this also helps the FPO division because their scores don't have to be rated against the higher rated MPO players.

The fact that the highest rating a player can get appears to have no cap...has lowered my enthusiasm when someone reaches "the highest rating of all time". Is this going to happen every couple of years now?

My well publicized thoughts on that is simply because we're rating the better players among themselves more than ever. If the elite MPO pros only play DGPT events, they're not being rated against lower rated ams or FPO players who might shoot lights out once in a while and impact round ratings. So this also helps the FPO division because their scores don't have to be rated against the higher rated MPO players.

The fact that the highest rating a player can get appears to have no cap...has lowered my enthusiasm when someone reaches "the highest rating of all time". Is this going to happen every couple of years now?

It appears that you don't understand how ratings work.

First time with three over 1050 at the same time?... and 9 currently at 1040+ has to be up there also...

https://www.pdga.com/players/stats?...l&StateProv=All&order=player_Rating&sort=desc

28 players ranked 1030+. These guys only getting better and its going to be fun to watch...Not to mention there are a bunch of Euro players slowly climbing up the list...

Forget Europe. Who's this Jacky Chen #128836 guy? Impressive win against some solid players, but he only has two events. Interesting.

https://www.pdga.com/player/128836

Latest posts