• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Pros M/F: Total Compensation?

Seems to me her issue was with the Signature Disc(s) and promotion of female pros in general.

I don't recall her saying anything about unfair basic payment practices.

She did allude to it a bit in the Smashboxx interview. I got the impression that the bonus structure wasn't quite equivalent...like the bonus for a win in MPO at a certain event (say, an A-tier) paid more than a win in FPO, for players who were nominally on the same level sponsorship-wise. Though, in the company's eyes it could go beyond simply a gender thing as an MPM win probably also pays a smaller bonus than an MPO win.

These top men/women better get 100% of their travel expenses and entry fees covered. I bet that group is small though.

Other than a handful of players I think touring = a net loss for the vast majority and anyone who is not in the top 10 or so is able to make a small profit from side hustles (clinics, selling stuff, etc)

Let's just say those without side jobs are not exactly saving up a retirement. Disc golf retirees are going to be the collapse of the American economy for sure.

These top men/women better get 100% of their travel expenses and entry fees covered. I bet that group is small though.

Other than a handful of players I think touring = a net loss for the vast majority and anyone who is not in the top 10 or so is able to make a small profit from side hustles (clinics, selling stuff, etc)

Let's just say those without side jobs are not exactly saving up a retirement. Disc golf retirees are going to be the collapse of the American economy for sure.

They are not getting 100% of their travel covered or they prob wouldn't be couch surfing in whatever towns they are travelling to. Entries, yeah, but all travel expenses not even close.

Even Paul doesn't make that much and he is making the most of anyone...you better love the sport in order to be a touring pro bc it is a terrible way to try and make a living for anyone else. It really shouldn't be a surprise that they don't make much money....disc golf isn't a spectator sport. Until millions of people start watching (like they do in skateboarding) and outside sponsor money comes in nothing will change.

LOL
I bet Paul makes more net income than 99% of disc golfers make at their day jobs.

That is probably true....I am part of the 1 percent and don't fit many of the disc golf stereotypes....and don't consider Paul as earning very much. I'm sure to many disc golfers even a 50k a year job sounds like a lot.

Which is sort of what I was thinking, at least tongue-in-cheek. All these Masters and above players who aren't as good as their Open/Advanced compatriots, but boosting the average income stats.

That is probably true....I am part of the 1 percent and don't fit many of the disc golf stereotypes....and don't consider Paul as earning very much. I'm sure to many disc golfers even a 50k a year job sounds like a lot.

I'm fairly certain that there was speculation he was pulling over 6 digits a year after everything. Then again, that's speculation.

50K is a comfortable amount a year to live on unless you live in California or NY lol I'm not sure too many regular people would scoff at 50k a year...

As an FYI, I know three or four engineers, a couple of Docs, and at least three small business owners that play. All over 40. I think the assessment of young vs old is probably pretty correct.

Even Paul doesn't make that much and he is making the most of anyone...you better love the sport in order to be a touring pro bc it is a terrible way to try and make a living for anyone else. It really shouldn't be a surprise that they don't make much money....disc golf isn't a spectator sport. Until millions of people start watching (like they do in skateboarding) and outside sponsor money comes in nothing will change.

Paul does pretty well for himself. A lot better than you're guessing.

LOL
I bet Paul makes more net income than 99% of disc golfers make at their day jobs.

I bet it's 99.99% compared to disc golfers. He's a 1% in the general population.

There's no way he is a one percenter.....do you guys really think he is profiting 450k a year? I would be shocked if he even makes 150k and that's before all of his expenses.

Last edited:
There's no way he is a one percenter.....do you guys really think he is profiting 450k a year? I would be shocked if he even makes 150k and that's before all of his expenses.

I hope you're sitting down.

He makes well over double your shocked number. Closer to the 1% cutoff. I honestly wish it was public knowledge. I think it would help legitimize our sport, and attract more people to the game. Sorry for blabbing Paul if you read this :p

I hope you're sitting down.

He makes well over double your shocked number. Closer to the 1% cutoff. I honestly wish it was public knowledge. I think it would help legitimize our sport, and attract more people to the game. Sorry for blabbing Paul if you read this :p

Of course I won't believe this until I hear it from Paul or see a tax return but yes I would be extremely shocked.....no wonder Val decided to quit Innova if they are in fact sending that much cash his way.

Latest posts