• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Pros Registering for NTs

Nikko make some seriously good points. Name one other sport where the top competitors have to compete to get into a tournament/pool of play. Imagine if Rory McIlroy wasn't able to play in the Masters one year because I was able to register 2 minutes before him. People would be outraged, and rightly so. I mean ****, the 2nd best player in the World is on the waitlist. Unreal.

Tiered registration is the way to do it (BSF does this with no problems), why is it not the standard?

Poker and Billiards come to mind off the top of my head. Tournaments are first come, first serve to anyone who is eligible. Both have a capped number of entrants and once filled, that is it. From a participant perspective and a coverage one to some extent, both are much further along then our sport.

Would Nikko have said anything had he gotten in? It is one thing to take up a cause because change benefits everyone;it is another to take up a cause because the impact is to you.

I agree that a tiered entry system makes sense. Unfortunately, that isn't the case and Nikko (and others) failed to prioritize getting into the event. He should be mad at himself since the requirements were known and made available well in advance.

Last edited:
Explain why all of these events cannot have qualifiers that ensure the best players can earn their way in

I am calling it first.....Worlds will be a **** show due to being positioned between the east coast and midwest where most pdga members and wanna be players live

I hope the PDGA comes up with a plan better than free for all

i dont see a problem. first comes first.

you probably were that jerk that budged in line in the cafeteria

Nice ad hominem attack.

DG will eventually get to a point popularity wise where hardly any of the top pros will get in if you keep doing first come first serve. This kills interest in the tourney, and hurts the sport.

Nice ad hominem attack.

DG will eventually get to a point popularity wise where hardly any of the top pros will get in if you keep doing first come first serve. This kills interest in the tourney, and hurts the sport.

i would love to hear you say that in person

and have people take you seriously...

:)

i dont see a problem. first comes first.

you probably were that jerk that budged in line in the cafeteria

Says the guy who thinks its unethical for a DG store owner to sell his rare products on ebay or FB:p

Last edited:
Says the guy who thinks its unethical for a DG store owner to sell his rare products on ebay or FB:p

read what i said. i said it doesnt affect me in either way. i dont buy "Special or rare" discs

i was seeing what everyone else thought.

It's amateur hour once again. This is a serious issue for players who are actually competitive and are trying to drive our sport forward. But as always the low rated internet warriors are trolling and questioning our top pros decisions. No wonder I stayed on DGR as long as I did.....:wall:

It's amateur hour once again. This is a serious issue for players who are actually competitive and are trying to drive our sport forward. But as always the low rated internet warriors are trolling and questioning our top pros decisions. No wonder I stayed on DGR as long as I did.....:wall:

enlighten me on how being competitive is driving this sport forward?

IMO the NT should not be dependent on AM money or players registration money to make it go

Simply put this is why the first come first serve mentality persists

If an event is not dependent on AM entry and lower rated pro entry we would not have this issue

To prop up a so called NT on pdga fees and entry fees is why this culture exists

To my knowledge most of these NT events have huge sponsors or are the TDs still dependent on the caah flow from entry to make it work?

IMO the NT should not be dependent on AM money or players registration money to make it go

If an event is not dependent on AM entry and lower rated pro entry we would not have this issue

To prop up a so called NT on pdga fees and entry fees is why this culture exists

To my knowledge most of these NT events have huge sponsors or are the TDs still dependent on the caah flow from entry to make it work?

Define "huge" in "huge sponsors".

Define "huge" in "huge sponsors".

relatively huge as in Huge enough to make payouts work and pay for the majority of the tourney

Discraft I would think could cover the majority of expenses for The Memorial

Those saying up the entrance fee to keep it to serious players

bleh
do I wanna watch rich snotty disc golfers who suck?

Make some standards to qualify or have qualifiers to play in NTs

This shouldn't even be a discussion. Of course the top pros should be in an NT event. I would go as far as to say the top 50 should be given the option to accept an invitation; prior to being open to the general public.

It's wonderful for TDs that events are now filling like this. But for NTs, there should be some guidelines/professionalism in place, to put the top players in play.

Not ranting on the PDGA; but, isn't this exactly the type of thing they should be in charge of?

I don't know, but I don't think the sponsorships are huge enough for NTs to not be dependent on AM money or player registrations. I don't think NTs are propped up on PDGA fees, at all. The fact is that there's not enough value in sponsoring, for sponsors to put up the kind of money to cover payouts and the expenses.

As for the "first come" mentality, my guess is that it's just extended from lower tiers, where one aspect of sanctioning is that TDs not give preference to certain players. (Which, in the case of NTs, should probably be changed).

To everyone saying First come first served. This is an NT we are talking about. Not a random tournament. Part of the entire point of an NT is the touring player. Otherwise it could be an A,B, or C tier. NT's literally revolve around the pro tour and touring players. The fact that there isn't a system in place to give those people dibs is crazy. Let everyone else battle for it once the top tier has had their opportunity.

This may be the most comical fumble of the NT

its like having a miss universe beauty paegant and all ugly chicks get in

the pretty ones should have been at their keyboards at signup time - not at the gym.

I dunno. Our local pros (and Paul Ulibarri who was visiting) all had their phone alarms set on Saturday during our Winter Warriors event to make sure they got in.