• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Pros This Year

Something I've been thinking about McBeth, in relation to how things work in the professional skateboarding world.

There's generally two kinds of pros in the skate world (with some overlap), the contest pro and the video pro.

In our world, most of the top pros have to win or place well in tournaments in order to keep touring.

Perhaps with McBeth's contract and Sig Disc royalties, he's less concerned with winning every tournament and focusing more on the promotion side of the sport.

Not to say that he doesn't want to win, or lacks the drive to do so, but if you want to see actual outside interest and growth in the sport a figure like him would be the best to accomplish that.

And maybe Innova recognizes that and that's why we see them supporting guys like Jerm, Barsby, Sexton, Eagle (through DM) and even CCDG.

You have a great mix of young athletic types, who are well spoken, along with the "characters" and the promotional outlet.

SpinTV could fit into that equation as well.

I mean Ricky is an amazing player, but IMO he is not a great spokesperson in general for the sport (or his sponsor).

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled stuff.

Good thinking IMO. I have to wonder if Latitude doesn't view Dave as their spokesperson, and you can see the stuff he's doing with his am tour. It would seem to be a good idea to get Ricky trained up some.

Dave is the team leader fot Lat64 as well as a player. He's kind of a spokesperson for them I guess

On the ladies side, Holly Finley has been making steady progress, as well as Jennifer Allen.

Eagle is interesting. He starts hot and fades. Ricky seems to hit his stride in the middle. Paul starts cold and finishes hot. Interesting dynamic.

I have to wonder if he over does it on practice rounds. 7 for the AO, in that heat, first event of the year, seems like a lot. I'm pretty sure I heard mentions of him playing 10+ practice rounds before tournaments last year. Plus not being able to find vegan foods left him weak according to some vlogs.

Plus not being able to find vegan foods left him weak according to some vlogs.

When I was in the Army, some tried to be vegan... they couldn't make the runs and had to eat at least some fish to get the needed proteins. The point pursuant to this is that Eagle needs to get some proteins in his system to keep up his strength and stamina for tournaments.

I hope Ohn Scoggins and Jessica Weese come back this year. Both have amazing forehands and Ohn is lights out best ladies putter + personality in the women's game. I think Jessica was injured almost all season, but both looked like the best competition for Cat and Paige a couple years ago.

I had the chance to see Ohn practice putting for a while before her round at worlds a few years ago. In about 20 minutes of putting she missed only a handful of times while putting from everywhere as far out as 60ft. Every putt hit chains; the only ones that didn't stick chained out. It was insane.

The only other person I've seen practice putt like that was Johnny Sias. That dude doesn't miss very often either.

When I was in the Army, some tried to be vegan... they couldn't make the runs and had to eat at least some fish to get the needed proteins. The point pursuant to this is that Eagle needs to get some proteins in his system to keep up his strength and stamina for tournaments.

This is just plain wrong and I'm not even Vegan. The Army just didn't supply the necessary vitamins and/or nutrients for that type of diet. My sister has been Vegetarian/Vegan for 20+ years. She never has a problem finding plant based proteins when shopping in the majority of places. Perhaps Eagle did have some issues where they were located.

You do realize there are body-builders who are Vegan correct?

I have to wonder if he over does it on practice rounds. 7 for the AO, in that heat, first event of the year, seems like a lot. I'm pretty sure I heard mentions of him playing 10+ practice rounds before tournaments last year. Plus not being able to find vegan foods left him weak according to some vlogs.

He placed second in a razor finish. And 9 strokes ahead of mcbeth... I'd say what he's doing is absolutely working.

Second place here is still really good. This ain't NASCAR

I think any pro mentioned could break out and score a win once in a while, but I think we're going to consistently see Paul, Ricky & Eagle in the top finishers for the next year or so. Simon at this point is the biggest question mark. If physically he has no limitations, then his only limitation is his mental drive. If he (finally??) has the killer instinct to want to win every time he plays, he could still dominate this sport. He's the one to watch early on. Seems like several of the major players in the past year or so seem to think the social side of the sport can have it's own perk$ so they are pushing that more and more. Perhaps some have given up trying to be the best and are more content building long term "branding" in the hopes of financial success in other ventures. (course design, lessons, disc sales, etc) Granted...who could blame them, not that much money in the sport unless you're consistently in the top 3 and playing in alot of tournaments.

I think whats being made of Eagle's "collapse" is a little overblown. He shot a 1066 final round and he hit a 60' putt on 17 to save par with Ricky 15' for birdie. Maybe he was tight in the moment and nerves caused him to throw OB on 18 but maybe he just happened to miss. Paul went OB on 18 twice in 4 rounds. I think the idea that he ran out of gas just doesn't hold water if you watch his play in that last round.

I think whats being made of Eagle's "collapse" is a little overblown. He shot a 1066 final round and he hit a 60' putt on 17 to save par with Ricky 15' for birdie. Maybe he was tight in the moment and nerves caused him to throw OB on 18 but maybe he just happened to miss. Paul went OB on 18 twice in 4 rounds. I think the idea that he ran out of gas just doesn't hold water if you watch his play in that last round.
+1 that par save on 17 was huge!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

He had 1 and 1/2 bad throws, or that's how it felt to me. The first just wasn't that bad, and he made up for it. The second hurt and the timing was awful, but it certainly didn't feel like a melt.

Food. Meh. More likely a guy used to Colorado heat melted in Australian heat. The conditions sounded brutal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Kona making some waves.

I was going to mention her too, she's looking like she's poised to take her game to the next level. Her putting looks like it's improved quite a bit lately, I think her rating will get quite a boost this year.

I hope Ohn Scoggins and Jessica Weese come back this year. Both have amazing forehands and Ohn is lights out best ladies putter + personality in the women's game. I think Jessica was injured almost all season, but both looked like the best competition for Cat and Paige a couple years ago.

Good call on both of these two. Ohn is unreal around the basket, she putts with some power and confidence. She is fun to watch too, with personality like Jerm. I would like to see one or both of these two get back in the mix.

He had 1 and 1/2 bad throws, or that's how it felt to me. The first just wasn't that bad, and he made up for it. The second hurt and the timing was awful, but it certainly didn't feel like a melt.

Food. Meh. More likely a guy used to Colorado heat melted in Australian heat. The conditions sounded brutal.

Eagle didn't run out of gas, he missed long on 18.

Missing long on 18 isn't blowing up tho

Eagle admitted his nerves got the best of him on 18, he just got caught up in the moment.

I'm gonna put forward two players as dark horse challengers: Nate Sexton, and Nikko Locastro.

Last two seasons, Nate has shown real moments of brilliance. He's done the late fade thing twice that I recall. I can see him winning some big events this year.

Nikko's problem is Nikko. He gets in his own head and it hurts him, especially when he's putting. If I recall, his goal offseason was to get his putting back where it was several seasons ago. If he does that, with his speed and desire, I see him winning a few big ones this year.