• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Total dye newbie needs help

pr0phetx

So I read through all the tutorials but I still have some questions.

#1 Are there any specific vinyls and dyes that work best?

#2 If I want to do a stencil dye with multiple colors - do I just stencil out what area I want to be color1 with one vinyl. Dye it with color1. Take off the vinyl. Do another stencil for color2 using a different piece of vinyl. Dye color2. etc. Or is there a simpler/more effective way of doing it?

Any other tips or insight you might have would be appreciated as well.

Due to the difficulty of getting the old rit, most dyers have gone to idye poly.

When I dye multi colors I cut everything at once, then weed what I want dyed first, dye that, then continue on to the next color. If the dyes get lighter you can just dye over the top of the previous color. IE. black red orange yellow. If they are opposites I will remask with new vinyl before dying. IE. blue and red. Hope that made sense.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess for now I will stick with just black. The one thing I did find that I was having trouble with is keeping the vinyl to stay down while I was tracing everything out in the detailed areas. It seemed like i couldn't get to small otherwise it would just sort of bunch up onto itself. Any tips on avoiding that? I used oracal 631 vinyl fyi.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess for now I will stick with just black. The one thing I did find that I was having trouble with is keeping the vinyl to stay down while I was tracing everything out in the detailed areas. It seemed like i couldn't get to small otherwise it would just sort of bunch up onto itself. Any tips on avoiding that? I used oracal 631 vinyl fyi.

Make sure the blade you're using is sharp. A dull blade will pull the vinyl rather than a nice clean cut, which can also cause bleeds because the edges don't go down perfectly.

Right on. Another thing I was wondering, is if you can store dye that has already been mixed with water and if so, how long will it still be useable? I figured I only dyed one disc, so I might as well try and save it till I can start my next one. Will this still work?

Yes, dye is good for years. You may have to add to it occasionally or strengthen it. I store mine in Tupperware type containers, but others use Gatorade bottles or mason jars.

Multi-Color dyes

Due to the difficulty of getting the old rit, most dyers have gone to idye poly.

When I dye multi colors I cut everything at once, then weed what I want dyed first, dye that, then continue on to the next color. If the dyes get lighter you can just dye over the top of the previous color. IE. black red orange yellow. If they are opposites I will remask with new vinyl before dying. IE. blue and red. Hope that made sense.

I am wanting to do a multi color dye. I need a white disc (I want a white Opto Pure but can't seem to find one). The colors are Green, Black, Red, and White. I figured I could dye the Black first, then green, and then red. Will the red affect the green? Should I remask before I do the red?

Also, if you're using iDye, you may want to test the green on another disc first. I've had poor results with their green in the past...

Also, if you're using iDye, you may want to test the green on another disc first. I've had poor results with their green in the past...

You'll get a better green with iDye poly's Kelly Green.

My wife used an iDye green on a Packers dye with good results. It should work fine for what I want to do. Thanks for the warning though.

Latest posts