• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toughest course you have played

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Not your favorite course, but the toughest course. My top 3 are Moraine, Linbrook DGC, and Orange Crush, with Orange Crush being the toughest.

Idlewild, Stafford Lake, DeLaveaga in long tourny positions, and defunct Mission Trails on a golf course in La Mesa, CA.

I would have to say hands down Diamond X in Bilings, MT. Renny was my home course for years....and it is solidly in 2nd place on my list. And, it pales in difficulty to Diamond X.

Diamond X was so so so tough to me on so many fronts:

• Rugged and treacherous
  • Exhausting - hot, no shade, tons of climbing up and down and over
  • 36 holes
  • Brown and dry and ugly.....although strikingly beautiful (though to explain)
  • Easy to lose discs and/or spend tons of time looking for them on almost every hole
  • Boring. Very hard to like the actual golf on the vast majority of holes, but that was tough to admit to myself since I really liked the complete uniqueness of it.

Diamond X should be at the top of everyone's Wish List!

For as much as I had a very hard time enjoying the DG experience, it is an experience that I would recommend above every single course I have played (I have played half of the top 10 and 1/3 of the top 25). While it was a very enjoyable hiking experience, having to chase a disc while hiking this course was simply too much to want to do again.

29b5cb11.jpg

ad44de25.jpg

You throw from way up there!! This is one of the very few really fun holes on the course.
a2cf45ec.jpg

View from tee on 18:
9af7176f.jpg

Last edited:
Stoney Hill. I've never faced so many tight tunnels and treacherous greens in my life. Every hole's unique and waiting to ruin your score. I love it!

Dave, Diamond X has been on my wish list for a long time. I'm surprised you're the first to mention it. It really does look like it's a rugged hike with disc golf thrown in as a novelty. I really need to head west. That pic of 18 makes DeLa's Top of the World look like putt putt!

RL Smith, Charlotte, NC. I'll never get back the hour of my life I wasted on the first 4 holes at RL Smith. It's a Pro-level course, to be sure.
Renny Gold, Charlotte, NC. Long, long, long, and shade can be hard to come by in some places.

leviathan and toboggan.
bertha brock is also brutal for the sake of brutal.

RL Smith, Charlotte, NC. I'll never get back the hour of my life I wasted on the first 4 holes at RL Smith. It's a Pro-level course, to be sure.
Renny Gold, Charlotte, NC. Long, long, long, and shade can be hard to come by in some places.

RL kicked my butt too. It was the course that made me wish I had time to play it over. I would've gotten my revenge!!!

Dave, Diamond X has been on my wish list for a long time. I'm surprised you're the first to mention it. It really does look like it's a rugged hike with disc golf thrown in as a novelty. I really need to head west. That pic of 18 makes DeLa's Top of the World look like putt putt!

I have played a ton of the courses mentioned so far, and they are tough in their own way (usually in real golf ways - risk/reward and performance/punishment ways), but Diamond X is tough for all the other reasons.

DeLa's Top of the World is a much better DG hole, but not nearly as visually striking as Diamond X. Diamond X is a putter or midrange hole that is totally obstacle-free.

Idlewyld
Toboggan
Stafford Lake
Hanson Hills-oh my the climbing
Just played Burchfield for the first time, length was brutal.

Latest posts