• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where to Play? South Central Ohio

Billipo

Birdie Member
Late Spring '24 going to be in the Bainbridge/Chillicothe Ohio area and have time to play at least one very possibly two courses. What are my best choices? (I'm afraid DGCR reviews maybe out of date)

Pine Lake DGC
Paint Creek DGC
Great Seal DGC
Other

Paint Creek is your best bet. Regardless of weather, those piney woods drain pretty well (except maybe holes 2-4), so if the spring rains have sprung, your best bet might be there. The others have some steeper elevation if you're looking for that. Of course hole 6 at Great Seal has some history (was once a wooly mammoth trail), if you're interested in trivia. :)

I've played nothing near there, and there's no reviews for the 2 private ones. I'd obviously defer to what sisyphus says. If it was me I'd play Paint Creek and Pike Lake S.P. if I could only play two of them. That's a pretty area though.

Late Spring '24 going to be in the Bainbridge/Chillicothe Ohio area and have time to play at least one very possibly two courses. What are my best choices? (I'm afraid DGCR reviews maybe out of date)

Pine Lake DGC
Paint Creek DGC
Great Seal DGC
Other

I played Pike Lake in 2015. Fun course, plenty of hills and trees, but I don't know current conditions.

Also note that cell service was nonexistent back then, probably better now.

Paint Creek does look fun, though. Good luck!

Well.....I guess I will try to glom on to this thread. How about any insight into northern central Ohio? I am pretty sure we are going to make run to the eclipse from Dearborn. We will try to keep the drive to a minimum. So the Findley, Lima area is likely our target. I am looking for a decent track, but a nice park. Bathrooms, picnic area.

Well.....I guess I will try to glom on to this thread. How about any insight into northern central Ohio? I am pretty sure we are going to make run to the eclipse from Dearborn. We will try to keep the drive to a minimum. So the Findley, Lima area is likely our target. I am looking for a decent track, but a nice park. Bathrooms, picnic area.
Looks like the path of totality very nearly passes over Great Blue Heron in Norwalk. A bit NE of where you're likely to be, but a nice track

Findley is having a casual event during the Eclipse. 100% eclipse, outstanding course, other disc golfers there.

OK back to So. Central Ohio. Always enjoy a new course, but part of my concern is that park maintenance may have slipped since posted reviews.

That's a good point about park maintenance potentially slipping since the reviews. With it being spring too, some courses may still be recovering from winter. I'd probably still go with Paint Creek as your first choice given the good drainage. And if it's been dry enough, Great Seal could be fun too for the history on hole 6. Really you can't go wrong with either of those courses.

You also might want to consider Great Seal State Park and Shreve Hollow (reservation required) in Chillicothe. Both have a couple big downhill bombers. Navigation was fine at both places.

Thanks for starting the thread, OP...While we're at it, I'll be coming to the Columbus area to buy a used car in a few days, arriving Tuesday, staying the night and playing Wednesday when my wife drives off with her newer car. I looked at the area courses and recognize the Brent Hambrick Memorial name and that its course was founded in 1990 so I wanna maybe try that one before my son and I head home that day. Good idea? There was one other rated as highly, can't remember what sitting here, of course...

Thanks for starting the thread, OP...While we're at it, I'll be coming to the Columbus area to buy a used car in a few days, arriving Tuesday, staying the night and playing Wednesday when my wife drives off with her newer car. I looked at the area courses and recognize the Brent Hambrick Memorial name and that its course was founded in 1990 so I wanna maybe try that one before my son and I head home that day. Good idea? There was one other rated as highly, can't remember what sitting here, of course...

If you're headed up US 23 on the way home, Delaware State Park is hard to beat.