• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toughest course you have played

Reno Adventure red course. The hike, wind, lose your plastic factor is huge. It took 5 open players 4 1/2 hours to play all 18. If you ever play here avoid summer time and winds over 15mph. Next for me might be Hornings long. It was our 3rd round of the day though.

Idlewild
Toboggan
WR Jackson Memorial at IDGC

Hon Mention: Renny Gold and Nevin
Played the regular Hornet's Nest layout, but Charlotte's Web woulda kicked my butt had I played it.

Last edited:
Idlewild
Toboggan
WR Jackson Memorial at IDGC

Hon Mention: Renny Gold and Nevin
Played the regular Hornet's Nest layout, but Charlotte's Web woulda kicked my butt had I played it.

Leviathan longs would shred me, too.

What's the SSA for Diamond X?

I don't know but its not too high. The course is pretty short with very few obstacles to the flight of the disc from tee to basket.

What makes it difficult are the obstacles to the player getting from tee to basket.

Oxbow Park (Goshen, IN) when it first opened in 1989. They made it many strokes easier for worlds in...was it 1996? Something like that.

leviathan longs and Toboggan are far and away the toughest ive play. its a beating but damn are they fun.
Toboggan-Distance, Extreme elevation, Terrible rough, Pin Placement, Tough Lines, Physically demanding, Shot placement. This course tests every part of your game.

Leviathan Longs-Distance, Trees, Tough lines, Trees, some elevation, Trees, Some bad rough, Trees, shot placement.

both are pure awesomeness. for those of you who have played one or both of these courses and dont have them near the top id like to know where i need to go to find harder and why please.

I haven't played any courses outside of Texas and Louisiana...

Gateway-West before the lumberjacks and highway department cleared all the obstacles. The course is just a shadow of it's original greatness. This really makes me sad.

Cherokee Trail in Big Spring on a 110 degree summer day with a good wind. It felt like a blow dryer and everything sharp on the course was in full glory. I found an old Lightning disc melted over a rock on hole 4. It was too hot to hold on to. Good times.

difficulty imo is better expressed by ssa/distance

I disagree.

A course with 18 500 foot open holes will have basically have the exact same SSA as a course with 18 550 foot holes - probably about 56 or so.

But one course is 900 feet further...

My hardest tournament round was the Web layout at hornets nest in a hard rain. It really opened my eyes to what a demanding layout could be and ask of you. Nevin is probably similar to that. I found renny gold a bit easier (though easy isn't a word I would use to talk about it.)

Toboggan is great and some of the holes are very demanding... but there enough holes that are nearly never birdied and always parred that it lets your mind rest on some holes.

Winthrop gold has a high Ssa but its greatly inflated with penalty strokes. It doesn't askyouj to make many get out of trouble shots because the ropes are the main trouble

Last edited:
I know you said 3 but 5 come to mind

Renny Gold, Charlotte's web, Hawk Hollow, Nevin Long, Leigh Farm Gold

None of them are tough. Disc golf is fun, even when hot, grueling and sweaty. There are far tougher things in life.

Now if we're talking my worst scores ever I'd say Renny Gold, Nockamixon and a few really bad days at Sugaree(RIP) where I had so many beers I couldn't see straight.

None of them are tough. Disc golf is fun, even when hot, grueling and sweaty. There are far tougher things in life.

Now if we're talking my worst scores ever I'd say Renny Gold, Nockamixon and a few really bad days at Sugaree(RIP) where I had so many beers I couldn't see straight.

I once played Renny on what I believe was a 95+ July day. No fun was had. And we drove back to Hickory in a van with no AC. Since then I always drive.

Haven't seen highbridge gold or rollin ridge(ridge should be in top 10 courses soon!). Idlewild killed me once also to mention.

Haven't seen highbridge gold or rollin ridge(ridge should be in top 10 courses soon!). Idlewild killed me once also to mention.

Highbridge Gold is a great course, but it wasn't too hard...Just lengthy.

But hole 3 is one of the toughest par 5's without OB I've ever seen. Was thrilled to get a 4 on it at PW2007 once.

The Bear at high bridge to me is harder than gold and gets my number one spot... Then Centralia in Southern IL

Courses Often Mentioned and I agree: Toboggan, Leviathan, Phantom, Addison Oaks.

Ski resort courses are a tough brand of golf inherently due to disc eating rough, elevation (at least in CO), dry climates and sometimes lacking course design (ie more danger areas)

Not yet mentioned: Base Camp Adventure Lodge. Plays through the Moab Desert, lots of climbing, cactus and HOT rocks. Felt more zonked after this round than just about any I can remember.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2774

Last edited:

Latest posts