• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Toughest course you have played

De Laveaga in all longs is a very brutal course, requiring accuracy and power. It has very fast greens, tons of elevation change and lots of potential danger

When DeLa was put in, it was probably right at the top of the list. Now there are so many courses that are longer, more punitive, and just as big a walk.

Cottonwood's Riverfront is the most difficult course I've played. The rough is brutal to play from, should you even be able to find your disc. Very technical, if not long.

Apparently, answering what seems like a simple question is difficult.

I'm often guilty of overanalyzing things myself, but I thought this was a pretty easy question: "What courses give you the hardest time?" When you walk away from the last hole, your gut tells you how hard that course was for you. It's also a matter of how well suited your game is to a given course. What you may find difficult might play to someone else's strengths (and vice versa).

I don't even think it's about total strokes or par. I've played some courses with higher scores that didn't take as much outtame as other courses where I score lowwer. If you're butt-sore after a round, that course was tough for you, regardless of how many strokes you carded.

Last edited:
When DeLa was put in, it was probably right at the top of the list. Now there are so many courses that are longer, more punitive, and just as big a walk.

Be careful what you say, Dela has ears, is very sensitive, and is a cruel enemy.:D

I totally believe what you are saying though, because you have so very many courses under your belt. Harder stuff is out there - a frightening thought.

I've played Whippin' Post about 20 times now and I've learned how to save strokes on the course and manage it better but it still crushes me every time. You can throw laser straight drives you think will be fine and 300 ft. down the fairway you glance a tree and it kicks you 500 ft. down a very steep ravine. The course just never lets up and will expose every weakness in your game and to me it's been my toughest challenge yet, and I've played a few tough ones.

Someone mentioned the Black Course in Moundsville, WV. It's definitely a hard course, but not ridiculous. There's too many open/semi open holes for it to be that tough. Even the really long holes are almost completely open. You just throw a long drive, then repeat once or twice and you're there. The wooded holes there are where the real fun is in my opinion.

Someone mentioned the Black Course in Moundsville, WV. It's definitely a hard course, but not ridiculous. There's too many open/semi open holes for it to be that tough. Even the really long holes are almost completely open. You just throw a long drive, then repeat once or twice and you're there. The wooded holes there are where the real fun is in my opinion.

I played Black in 90 degree heat a few years ago, throwing most shots under 300'. Play smart and with good control/placement it's a great challenge physically and mentally but not the toughest. Still a 4 star course!

i need to get out of michigan more to see more courses but this one has to be one of the toughest. this is a nicely done video following the lead card at the USADGC on the Toboggan course last weekend. the video doesnt really do some of these holes justice in regards to elevation and length but you get a pretty good look at it. this course makes you hit your lines and you need some distance. shot placement is important, smart play is key, rough can be brutal. very physically demanding. every part of your game is tested here. playing this course without spotters in almost impossible. if there are tougher and more fun courses to be found i need to get to em.

Marana Rock near Tucson is pretty damn tough (for me at least). A lot of long holes and I have a noodle arm.
If you mean a physically demanding sort of tough, Buffalo Ridge in the summer is damn tough!! 1
110+ degrees, very little shade, and a lot of hiking up and down the Ridge. It takes a toll.

Tidal Creek in Charleston absolutely kicks my butt every time I go there. Some of the "fairways" are dead straight and 4 feet wide. It is literally a series of baskets arranged in a tidal swamp. One day, a water hazard may be there, and it may be dry the next.

It is literally the lack of fairway.

^^^ i answered and then read the thread, i see im not alone.

Of the courses I've played, I'd have to pick Iron Hill as the most difficult.

Honestly, I don't think It's that hard. There aren't many tight lines, and most holes give you plenty of room for error (except for a couple). BUT, it's easily one of my favorite courses.

Finnon reservoir was probably the most difficult so far for a few reasons.
Runner up is de la although I've only played there once. I imagine with a few more rounds it wouldn't be quite as difficult.

Latest posts