• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tour Standards - Am Payout Percentages

ChrisWoj

Common Core Crusader
Silver level trusted reviewer
Currently the Am Payout requirement for A Tiers is 110+%.

Is it just me, or is this severely reduced? I feel like it used to be around 125+% for B Tiers and 150+% for A Tiers... Now it goes 85-100-110 (from C-A). Is it just my imagination, or have those numbers gone down quite a bit? I was looking at results of a local amateur A Tier and the payouts looked really skimpy to me, so I went to the PDGA page to check and saw that...

Am I crazy?

Personally I don't think the PDGA should require payout for Ams because it is a huge expense for TDs

Can't speak for A-tier, but B-tier has been 100% for as long as I can recall.

A-tiers require a $25 players pack, which is part of the payout. So the prizes (payout for placing) can seem unexpectedly thin.

Ams should not be paid out except a trophy, players packs can be huge, but ams should not be concerned about getting more for performance, thats the idea of being an amateur.

Ask a technical question about PDGA competition requirements, get people saying "Ams should be trophy only." Sweet.

As long as the players pack is solid, I see no problem with trophy only. I think that is the better model in the long run. Then again I am pretty tired of getting plastic I don't want. If you want to give funny money that is great, just give me time to spend it. I am also tired of events that don't give out trophies period. Write 1st place on a block of wood, I don't care, just have a trophy. Ha!

As long as the players pack is solid, I see no problem with trophy only. I think that is the better model in the long run. Then again I am pretty tired of getting plastic I don't want. If you want to give funny money that is great, just give me time to spend it. I am also tired of events that don't give out trophies period. Write 1st place on a block of wood, I don't care, just have a trophy. Ha!

Do you get plastic you want in players packs?

Currently the Am Payout requirement for A Tiers is 110+%.

Is it just me, or is this severely reduced? I feel like it used to be around 125+% for B Tiers and 150+% for A Tiers... Now it goes 85-100-110 (from C-A). Is it just my imagination, or have those numbers gone down quite a bit? I was looking at results of a local amateur A Tier and the payouts looked really skimpy to me, so I went to the PDGA page to check and saw that...

Am I crazy?

I think there are a lot of TDs who try to get their payout higher than that because the more AMs that play the more money for pros and thus more pros show up, which in turn brings more AMs out to play because they want to see the pros and so on and so forth.

But maybe now with more sponsors coming aboard and adding cash to payouts it isn't as necessary to attract bigger AM entries.

If you were a TD and you had a choice between dealing with 50 AMs at $50 an entry fee or being handed a check for $2500 to add cash to the payouts which would you rather do? Personally I'd rather take the check and not have to worry about as many players. Just makes my job easier. And considering most of the A-Tiers I have looked at recently had a nice bold line somewhere that said "Added Cash" that might be the reason for the reduced AM payouts.

Ask a technical question about PDGA competition requirements, get people saying "Ams should be trophy only." Sweet.

It's a bright new idea we've never discussed before, so it really deserves its own thread.

Personally I don't think the PDGA should require payout for Ams because it is a huge expense for TDs

This is one of the most incorrect statements I've ever read.

Am payout is what makes TD's money.

Tournament stamped discs are a large up front expense for TDs, but if they do things right there is money to be made from the am side of things using merch as payout.

With shipping and stamp fee and all that, you are talking $150 - $200.

Then let's say you order 200 champion discs, 100 star and 100 DX for your payout. You are paying, roughly, 7 per on champion, 9 per on star and 5 per on DX. That's $2,800 in discs plus the up front so about $3,000 in costs.

But you have $3,000 in value just on the champion discs. And then $2,500 in value on the other discs.

Even when you consider the tournament fees of $50 - $100 for sanctioning, $50 for water on the course, $100 in printing, $100 to rent a shelter, etc, still a lot left over.

You do the math....

There is a reason pro worlds doesn't nearly get the bids that am worlds does each year.

Technically, it IS an expense. It gets recouped (and then some) by the end of the tourney.

[/devil's_advocate]

<--sniped :doh:

Yeah, I get that money is recouped after the payout. Finding tds who are willing to volunteer their time and front $3k of their own money is the catch. If the turnout is lower than expected and you get stuck with a leftover amount of plastic it can be enough to make somebody not want to do it again. If you're successful though there's a little bit of money to be had. I just ordered 275 discs from innova for a fundraiser that I put on 100% through my own effort, but I'm only comfortable doing it because the previous 2 years were successful. The first year I wouldn't have been able to offer custom stamped discs if gateway didn't go out of their way and be very flexible with a local.

Latest posts