• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tournament Names are Out of Control

Steve West

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
How many of you see:

"Tour Name - Somebody Presents: Someone Else's Nth Annual City or State of Somewhere Professional or Amateur Event Name (Other Name of Event) Open Disc Golf Classic Challenge Championships at Some Course or Park Presented Powered Driven or Sponsored by Some Company and Some Other Company with Some Dollar Amount of Added Cash, a Something Series Event (Number of Weekend) (List of Divisions Offered) + Women's Global Event"

and just think "Event Name"?

But it's kinda a symptom of everything—information age, marketing. Nobody says no to anything. Too many words. Too many discs. Too many logos. Too many videos with too many drills and too many lines and angles sketched over images. Too many opinions.

We need gatekeepers and boundary enforcement, but that's seen as being negative, so...

In 2009 I was TD for The Best Tournament Ever (Tyler Horne can say he won The Best Tournament Ever)

One day I'll get off my ass and run The Second Best Tournament Ever...

If you plan on running more sequels, start with a high number and count down. That way you could claim it keeps getting better every year.

If you plan on running more sequels, start with a high number and count down. That way you could claim it keeps getting better every year.
Not about that life...

92e0a8d50e833193fda60224b6b09245.gif

What you don't like "Team Nerds Rope Presents Duck Hunt 2"??

It just may have gotten out of control in our area. Maybe. :thmbup:

Just 36 characters? If only they were all that small. That's 78 fewer characters than the longest I've seen.

Nah- it isn't bad around here. Rule of thumb for me is event names should only include one additional entity...

Part of it is the sponsor's name and that is usually a disc brand. Not only do they want the "advertisement" by having their name in the event name....I think they want to make sure they are attracting the players who use/support that brand. I know some players who are brand loyal, lets say BrandX discs is their favorite, and they will do the best they can to play in tournaments sponsored by BrandX.

I know I signed up last year for a tournament sponsored by RPM as I have never thrown their discs. As an amateur, I get a player's pack that usually includes at least one disc from the sponsor; so I was looking forward to getting one from RPM. However, it was bad luck that the shipping issues happened and the discs were still offshore. (The TDs were able to get other discs for us at short notice). Would I have signed up for that tournament if RPM wasn't in the name as a sponsor? Maybe, but I know that I definitely did because of that.

Yes, like not sharing space in the name with multiple other sponsors or with administrative details about the tournament.

Steve that's for when said sponsor donates EVEN MORE money ... ya know, to make up the difference of eliminating the other sponsors. Kinda like "The Rose Bowl Game, presented by ....," as in the Commandment:

Tournament of Roses is the biggest dollar, so there shall be no title sponsor before thee.

Is there anything keeping me from running an event called "Disc Golf World Championship"? or some bastardization of it? "Winner of this tournament is champion of the world"?

I held a dgv world championship a while back, granted only like 3 of us played in it, and only one country was represented, but I still branded it "world championship" and yes I won, so yes I am a world champion..

Is there anything keeping me from running an event called "Disc Golf World Championship"? or some bastardization of it? "Winner of this tournament is champion of the world"?

HAHAHA NOPE

Please do this. I would find great amusement in someone naming their tourney that. I'm serious.

I played in the Zephyr World Championships in Oct. and another called "The Other Worlds" in Sept. Ran one in about 1990 the weekend of PDGA Worlds called the Rest of the World Championships.

Latest posts