• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Towel Drill Directions+Audio (Poll)

x-out1

Birdie Member
This is directed to those of you that are popping the towel.

When you feel you've succeeded and achieve snap, what is your end result?

either i'm a thread killer or not that many people are doing the towel drill

i guess i can see that being a problem. for the longest time i could not get past the woosh.

i imagine there are a lot of people trying the drill a few times and giving up on it.

I dunno if I get a pop. It's closer to a *!@POW@!*. Sorry, feeling the 70's Batman thing. But it's not as crisp as that CRACK you get from snapping a towel the traditional way.

from my experience with the drill, it is possible to get a more pronounced CRACK than you can from snapping it the traditional way. i was skeptical at first, but after feeling and hearing myself produce that noise...i am now a believer.

Dave Feldberg produced a BAM! sound instead of a swhoosh I usually get. Or a very shy flap with the better attempts. But that's before my recent changing of the wrist action and arm muscle loosening until later in the throw.

it seems that the louder CRACK (as referred to in this thread) is achieved through the correct timing of: 1)clearing the elbow away from the body 2)truly activating the wrist 3)activating the wrist at the apex of clearing the elbow from the body

it seems that if you concentrate on these 3 steps before adding in the other parts of the throw (which is where most have bad habits/form) you can obtain a good feel of correct timing.

the other instructors have said it better than i ever could. so think of the numbered steps as the following:

1) backwards from the hit (Masterbeato Video)
1) great picture from BW's diagram
apex.jpg

2) pounding the hammer (Part 3, Drill 5)
2) i think some people aren't TRULY activating their wrist, but still feeling a bit of the hammer pound. these people are just flinging/slinging their wrist. your forearm muscles should be working to open the wrist along with some fling/sling of the wrist. (try isolating your wrist and use only your forearm muscles to open your wrist)

3) ??? (working on a more efficient way to demonstrate this)
3) for now use the image from above to visualize when you should be activating the wrist

if you can get the feeling of steps 1-3 in the above post you can obtain a nice pop of the towel.

you can obtain this pop at less than 100% effort. i can loosely do the drill at a very slow pace and get a small pop.

really concentrate on the feel of everything rather than "this is how I think I throw a disc".

once you feel you've mastered the proper timing to get this pop, you can incorporate a full swing @ 100% and try to achieve the loud CRACK.
when i get the CRACK here is what i feel: the start of the swing- everything before steps 1-3 is loose and slow (aka the inward pull), step 1- the beginning of acceleration (aka accel. @ right pec.) (begin accel @ right pec and continue this acceleration through and past activating the wrist), steps 2&3 are very very close in timing and almost blend into one step- (this is where the weight of the towel becomes very apparent) (you can even feel pivot here).

hopefully this helps some people gain a feel for the drill. sometimes you just need to hear the same directions in a different way for it to click.

happy towel snapping to everyone who decides to try this. FYI your towels will suffer as a result of popping/CRACKING them

here is the carnage and destruction of my 12x12" microfiber towel :).
before starting theses drills this towel had no loose seams or any damage. the pictures have been taken after 3 days of CRACKING and popping.

Photo0181.jpg

Photo0182.jpg

I just started doing this and will be doing it in conjunction with the hammer drills blake came up. I'm sure they coincide well enough so I figure no harm. Anyway I have a woosh so I have a long way to go but a weird thing happened. I had a little tiny weeny pop and my blinds on my window spread apart and shook. I was like "Wow" and checked my window thinking it might have been open. Nope it was the jet of air from the towel. I couldn't for the life of me recreate it... anyone else have anything other than sound telling you your going in the right direction?

cfair said:
I just started doing this and will be doing it in conjunction with the hammer drills blake came up. I'm sure they coincide well enough so I figure no harm. Anyway I have a woosh so I have a long way to go but a weird thing happened. I had a little tiny weeny pop and my blinds on my window spread apart and shook. I was like "Wow" and checked my window thinking it might have been open. Nope it was the jet of air from the towel. I couldn't for the life of me recreate it... anyone else have anything other than sound telling you your going in the right direction?

the best feedback is the audio (pop/CRACK), but you can or should feel the weight of the towel transfer/pivot in your hand.

x-out said:
2) i think some people aren't TRULY activating their wrist, but still feeling a bit of the hammer pound. these people are just flinging/slinging their wrist. your forearm muscles should be working to open the wrist along with some fling/sling of the wrist. (try using isolating your wrist and use only your forearm muscles to open your wrist)

I think I am one of "those people". Thanks for bringing this up. Hopefully I can make it out soon, try it, and feel a difference. I know sitting at my desk here at work I can tell a difference. I can't wait to see what it does in the field.

bcsst26 said:
x-out said:
2) i think some people aren't TRULY activating their wrist, but still feeling a bit of the hammer pound. these people are just flinging/slinging their wrist. your forearm muscles should be working to open the wrist along with some fling/sling of the wrist. (try using isolating your wrist and use only your forearm muscles to open your wrist)

I think I am one of "those people". Thanks for bringing this up. Hopefully I can make it out soon, try it, and feel a difference. I know sitting at my desk here at work I can tell a difference. I can't wait to see what it does in the field.

you are welcome. please post back with your results.

this is the very reason i wrote this post. i'm just adding a little twist and some different wording to what has already been said before. i hope you are just one of many who can benefit from this.

I get a loud smack in the face crack, like the video posted. I'd post a video as well, but it'd be the same thing.

I also displace enough air to make the blinds nearby (located behind me off to the side of my imaginary "teepad") slam into the window when I really hit it, whereas the woosh or even mild pop has no such effect.

Also, in my experience, this crack can't be achieved if your pull is too fast, which is what made it difficult for me to translate it to a full throw. I always want to pull harder and faster when I try and put it all together, which makes it far more difficult to accelerate through the hit.

Thanks for the video and the input on this thread x-out. I have only achieved that kind of crack once or twice, but now I have a better idea of what to strive for. Is that another 12" x 12" microfiber towel in the video?

Latest posts