• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Training a Dog NOT to fetch your disc

ishkeener

I have a new dog about 6 months old. I love taking her disc golfing with me, but she likes chasing my throws. I started putting her on a leash, but I want to give her freedom to run around while I play (without her munching on my discs).

What method(s) have you used to keep your dog from going after your disc? I was thinking about trying a whistle or shock collar to deter her every time she goes after a disc.

It didn't take much to train mine not to, just switching him away from them with toys and saying 'no' a few time worked for him. You might try by doing some putter practice with your dog on the leash tied to your bag or something like that. Make him sit to the side, throw some the basket for a while, positively reinforce him when he ignores it.

Keep him on the leash until he's well trained, and always on the leash when around other dogs, babies, or people that you don't know unless you're deep in the woods or not around anyone.

Please dont think about unleashing your dog, shocking him, or blowing a whistle :|

What breed of pup do you have?

Until you establish a solid basic training, i dont suggest high expectations.
My dog is to the point of knowing tge difference between discs and frisbees.....still working on the differences between frisbees.
The biggest hurdle for most is likely setting limits in play.

i would advise against the shock collar imo do a little training at home by first teaching the dog to "leave it" anything will do for this lesson if it is a treat DONT give her the piece she just left give her one away from the treat she or he left on the floor then throw discs in the yard backed by the words leave it... if she does give her a treat if not scold her with a firm no and redo untill she doesnt care about discs. Right now i am training my dog to "mark" my discs by standing by them she does a good job with errant throws that make the weeds and she tracks them down(lot less searching for me:thmbup:) you tube vids about such commands and you will be on your way btw what kind of breed do you have.

SO I have a 3 year old Springer and has never laid a tooth on a disc. Like mack.calhoun said I started throwing stick at my local course. I can not stop her from chasing but she will never retrieve it. My friends love it she marks everyone disc for us.

Still working on it with my Australian Cattle Dog.............as of right now my answer would be don't take an australian cattle dog out on the course

Thanks everyone. Helpful insight.

She's a mutt (pit+lab/retriever is my best educated guess)

I let her off the leash at the local course, which is heavily wooded. She does great with other dogs and people, I just can't can't get her to stop chasing the darn disc. She doesn't chew, just plays with it (and relocates the discs lie)

On the flip side, she is getting better about it over time with my repetitions of "NO's". I am going to attempt training her using a dog whistle so when she hears the pitch she will know to "come"

glad I read this thread, was about to try shock collar. I've tried everything my next attempt will most likely playing several 1 disc rounds using a disc sprayed with bitter apple or something undesirable.

You have to consider other people, though...not everyone loves the sight of a dog sprinting towards them, and in fact some folks may panic or react defensively.

I think on a similar dog-training thread here, someone mentioned spraying one of their discs with watered-down pepper sauce, throwing it around the yard and letting the dog retrieve it, and letting the dog learn for itself that disc = ouchy yucky.

I like to train right from the get go, comands/callings that are life long.
Instead of saying "no", focus more on the comand to hault or come (plus a bunch of nos make it sound like you have an unruley dog- being an owner of a "dangerous breed", i feel one should be mindfull of these things).I doubt you really want to use a whistle. Your pup can associate any sound with a command - a non verbal snap of tge fingers or click of the cheek leave a much better impression imo.

Use small treats to reinforce the comands you want.
Focus on what you want vs what you dont want.
A few mi.s a day goes a long way.

As a disc dog owner speaking from experience, and having received feedback that Forest is one of the most well behaved dogs on the course anywhere, I hope my advice is received well and taken seriously.

Obedience training. Professional obedience training, the kind where you bring the dog to class for like 3hr/week x 10 weeks. Research a reputable trainer that uses a philosophy that you agree with. Learn the training process, use it. Learn basic obedience (sit, down, stay, heel, come, fetch, leave it) outside of the course. Apply these skills on the course. It's going to cost some $$, it's going to be worth it.

Please do not bring an untrained dog [unleashed] to the course and try to train (possibly abuse it, let it abuse property, scare people, steal discs) and attempt to train it with a shock collar/verbal commands/or even treats.

Train well, train right, practice, practice, practice. Have full confidence that your dog will behave, everyone else at the course will appreciate it.

Last edited:
I agree dogs need to be on leashes in a park... but my home course is strictly disc golf and is heavily wooded, so I feel the freedom to let her off the leash. She is a sweetheart and does not sprint at people. She listens very well and is very smart. She just loves chasing things.

I like the idea of playing a round with a ill-tasting disc... that sounds promising.

Go with the dog on the leash in your yard, practice putting, and if the dog goes for your disc, tell the dog to "Leave it" and offer the dog one of its own toys.
Keeping the dog on the leash helps keep the dog close enough so that you can correct quickly and directly. If the dog is out of your reach, it's harder to accurately correct. Once the dog starts getting the idea that your toys are not dog toys, you can start increasing the distance.

I'd still be wary of going completely offleash in the woods, more for anything or anyone around you. There's 20' to 30' leashes that will give the dog a lot more room, but still give you the ability to reign the dog back in if absolutely necessary.

What method(s) have you used to keep your dog from going after your disc?

The very best, most effective and only 100% and immediately successful method, hands down, is don't bring your dog.

Please?

The dog is part pit? yea.

Are you one of those people? I have 1 pit and 1 pit/lab mix. I bring neither to the disc golf course. My pit/lab is 6 1/2 months and loses it everytime I practice putt. He'll chase the missed putts and pick them up, but don't chew on them. I just leave him home. He can deal with being in his crate for 2+ hours cuz well, he's a dog. If you really want to bring him, follow Martins advice. Professional training is the way to go if, and if you do it remember to not limit it to the classes. Dogs, puppies in particular, need to have that repetition in training, and actually enjoy it, so make sure to set aside like 20-30 minutes a day to go over the commands you learn in the class.

Latest posts