• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Transferring Snap from Pec Drill to Throw

Autiger1291

So I have been working on the pec drill for a couple weeks here lately. I feel that it does a great job in teaching snap. Really that is the only way you can make it go anywhere when practicing the pec drill. Now that I have a good idea of how it feels I have been trying to incorporate it into my throws. However it is not working whatsoever. My distance is practically the same in my normal throw and in my one step pec drill. Anywhere from 200-250. I feel like the opportunity for good distance and snap is there, but I just can't transfer it into my normal throw. On my normal throw I feel like my release is way too early, so it could be more of a matter of timing than anything else. Just not sure how to fix it. Advice is welcomed.

I have just recently seen success from my hard work, stick with it. How far can you throw standing still? Does it stall out? Wormhole (go straight down into the ground)? Answer a few of those questions and we can give you some more advice. Good luck, hope to hear from ya.

make sure your normal throw passes through the same body positions you get from the right pec drill.

the right pec drill is basically what the "end of the throw" should be like.

if your "normal" form doesn't pass through those positions, it should be revamped until it does.

I understand that much of it, but I can't seem to stretch the hit out in front of me like I would on the pec drill. Maybe it will just take more practice before its beat into my head and muscle memory.

Easy does it. I still can't always avoid going early. Sorry honey I came again in 30 seconds :) Seriously though what helped me and so many others in getting the timing right is to start very slowly and with moderate power in each session. Adding speed until you start to mess up timing with too early of a quick acceleration of the arm is when you back down a bit and really start concentrating on when you plant the final step and keeping the arm loose until the time comes to accelerate hard. Some days are off days no matter what. Then you just have to lower expectations and compensate on the course. At least until you come really accustomed to late acceleration and haven't changed anything in your form.

Autiger said:
I understand that much of it, but I can't seem to stretch the hit out in front of me like I would on the pec drill. Maybe it will just take more practice before its beat into my head and muscle memory.

Yep, that's all there is to it...just keep working at it. I get frustrated at times because I can also feel the much much greater distance potential in my throws than I am getting. Just be patient, it will come eventually.

I was just where you are at for a long while (it seemed like a forever plateau at times), but slowly over time things are improving. One day I was just doing a kind of floppy-armed back-and-forth torso rotation-like stretch with a disc in my hand and I put a little more hip into my forward motion and the disc ripped out and flew well over 250' completely by accident. That told me a lot about the potential vs the actuality of the throw.

The pec drill really helped me since I had zero hit before, and little torso rotation. Now when I get things firing right I can break 300' with a Tee-Bird. I still have other problems cropping up a lot, like nose up, or heavy feet, or not enough shoulder rotation (I try to get 270 degrees rotation from reach back to follow-through, so that my off shoulder is pointing in the direction of the throw at the end). Then I remember the cause of the problem and I get back on track again. I guess that's the key after a while: it helps if you can start recognizing the error in your own throws (symptoms), what the root cause might be (diagnosis), and can then work to correct it right away by doing some practice throws (prescription).

Don't forget to keep working on your accuracy...that's going to be very important no matter what. When I was at your plateau I was still very accurate and played well enough on the disc golf course to stay around par.

I would add the steps in at single pace ( hardly any speed at each step ). At the end of your snail pace x-step, throw with the right pec drill. Slowly build it up over time.

Did you skip the two step drill? That's basically what I am explaining :roll:.

You got further with the right pec drill faster than i have. When i do the drill, it takes 30' off my drive then i add an xstep but the original problems are there and im back up to my default max d. It'll click. its just a matter of time.

Good luck.

Keep your grip loose even after you reach back and begin your pull. Tighten it only for a moment when you have to at the last point of your throw.

Also, concentrate on keeping the disc at your right pec throughout your x-step and throw. You don't need to reach back(turning your torso with the x-step is enough), but its easy/natural to add it in. You just have to be able to keep the disc close to your chest and not release it before it passes your right pec. That's what robs many of snap, just reaching way back and trying to rip it from the middle of their chest or left pec.

I never thought about it but imitating Steve Brinster's bent elbow throw was what got me my snap, and its basically the same thing as the right pec drill.

Latest posts