• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Treasure your good health folks

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
At the end of January, I broke my ankle, which pretty much stopped me in my tracks. First broken bone ever. Cast came off mid-March, and was able to throw a bit. Worked up to playing pretty well last Monday, -3 at a course I threw +5 the week before.

The next day my lower back went wonkers. Just starting to feel better today.

I generally am a healthy guy, and don't have issues, but this has sucked big time.

Never take it for granted.

Them old folks understand, "as long as you got your health."

At the end of January, I broke my ankle, which pretty much stopped me in my tracks. First broken bone ever. Cast came off mid-March, and was able to throw a bit. Worked up to playing pretty well last Monday, -3 at a course I threw +5 the week before.

The next day my lower back went wonkers. Just starting to feel better today.

I generally am a healthy guy, and don't have issues, but this has sucked big time.

Never take it for granted.

Them old folks understand, "as long as you got your health."

We lefties have it even harder, with a shorter average lifespan, and 95% of courses designed against us :(

We have a shorter life span?

Wow, that makes my last birthday that much more worse.

Supposedly 7 years. I'm ambidextrous, so it's only 3.5 years for me ;)

To the OP, hang in there, do the necessary rehab and strengthening when recovering from any injury, and don't push it...the WHOLE body has together back up to speed. 30 years of sports injuries talking, with surgeries and now a knee replacement looming.

I used to BMX so I've broken multiple bones.

I have plates and screws in my left leg and my face.

My back is jacked pretty good. 4 herniated discs and my spine is straight where it's supposed to curve.

The key is to not let it slow you down mentally. That and doing preventative maintenance (exercise).

I no longer treasure my good health---

I reminisce about it.

We lefties have it even harder, with a shorter average lifespan, and 95% of courses designed against us :(

Look at it this way: You're only missing the nursing home, Depends, wheelchair years.

No biggie.;)

It's really amazing how physical this game can be. In the past 3 years I've had...torn groin muscle (3 times), torn rotator cuff, partial torn meniscus (knee), walked head first into a tree and gauged a tear right between my eyes, fallen several times, sprained ankles, etc, etc. Almost all injuries could have been avoided if I would have just stretched more/properly before playing. But it's so hard to not get out of the car and just start throwing!!! lol...

Sad thing is, I was on my way to throw under the lights at the skating rink on the lake, a game I had recently discovered. Throwing discs off ice is a blast. The ice in my alley, not so much

I no longer treasure my good health---

I reminisce about it.

The grandmaster's lament...

This is why on posts where the op says, "It hurts when I throw it this way...", I always advise them to alter their form to be more natural with less stress on their bodies. Throwing really far is great. Throwing for a couple of decades longer than the big bombers, is better than great.

You are speaking the language of geezers. I enjoy the game and intend on playing for many more years. Taking the few minutes to warm up and stretch is vital as experience lays on the veneer of age. I don't throw as far as some, I don't play as often in the winter, I am rarely in a hurry and an odd grunt, groan or uummpphhh can often be heard with my drives. But, come back and see me after a couple decades of playing. I play, partially, to improve my health. I work very hard to make sure that this game does not impact it in a negative way. I am thankful every time I go out.

There is a theory that good judgement comes from experience, and all the best experience comes from bad judgement.

Being a practicing geezer, I've had two long stints on the DL, and numerous shorter ones. I came to the warm-up-and-stretch faith only after a major injury and surgery. And recently tried to shortcut in when in a hurry, costing me about a month of recovery.

61 and my body shows the miles. "I ain't broke, but buddy I'm badly bent." I could have quoted just about every post in this thread and my vote for thread of the year thus far.

As my beautiful wife so aptly pointed out last night on the course, basic physics. A body in motion...

Rehab properly, rehab properly, rehab properly!

I have long thought and I'm very grateful for is that every day on this side of the grass is a good one. With disc in hand even better!

Being a Grandmaster myself, I agree with the other geezers. Disc golf for life! The day that I can't hang out in the woods flinging plastic anymore, is the day I would leave this plane!

GM now, but I had knee issues in my 30s and my major shoulder injury at 43, a result of (1) "I'm still young. I don't need to stretch" (2) "Tough it out and play through the pain".

I recently introduced an ultimate player to disc golf. He explained to me that he had a pulled groin, which sidelined him from ultimate and wanted to use his healing time to learn DG......naturally. I doubt his introduction went as smooth as he envisioned, seeing as I haven't heard back from him or seen him on the course since then.