• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trilogy Challenge

I've got some specifics from a 25 player pack sample size:
Thief
-Only 2 discs <170g
-4 Grey, 10 Orange, 11 Dark Green/Green/Yellow variations.
-Every single one had a royal blue stamp

Claymore
-0 discs <170g, , few in the 170-174 range, but mostly 175+
-7 grey, 12 orange/copper, 6 green/yellow variations
-All stamps solid colors, but 5-6 different color combinations

Shield
-1 disc <170g
-Lots of variation in color. Some pink/purple/plum variations. Some grey/blue/white variations
-LOTS of swirly plastic.
-Entire stamp is one uniform color.

I briefly looked for weights on the Shields, but after a few I stopped looking. Unsure if Claymore or Thief is etched with weights. I think not. All of mine were hand weighed to fulfill requests and put in order for our players.

Thanks for the info. A buddy and I were kind of figuring that they would be around max weights but we weren't sure.

kdfrosty in the vip was selling packs and is a TD. He got his yesterday and said they aren't marked for weights so maybe the TD will have to weigh them.

They might possibly be laser etched for weight and he missed it but I doubt it.

Couple of reasons they might not be marked for weight. Possibly not time to laser etch all those discs. With well over 200 events I think on the schedule by now that's going to take a lot of discs. I also wonder if they aren't marked so they didn't have to disappoint some TDs by logistically being able to give them exactly what they want. No way to do color and weight orders on this scale. You also run the risk of shipping out a bunch of packs for the early events and then running out of anything but light weights for the events towards the end of summer. To prevent those people getting the shaft with nothing but 165 g discs you just make all the discs in a 165-180 range and randomly ship them out discs and colors. That way the people who show up to events early can feel and look for what they want or the TD can match up the packs ahead of time and try to give everyone a decent balance. That's just what I'm thinking.

Hhhmmmm........I guess I'll have to put mine on the scale just to be sure just in case they aren't laser etched but either way i'm stoked about getting that sweet a$$ players package. The hardest part will be deciding whether to hang 'em or bag 'em.

I've got some specifics from a 25 player pack sample size:
Thief
-Only 2 discs <170g
-4 Grey, 10 Orange, 11 Dark Green/Green/Yellow variations.
-Every single one had a royal blue stamp

Claymore
-0 discs <170g, , few in the 170-174 range, but mostly 175+
-7 grey, 12 orange/copper, 6 green/yellow variations
-All stamps solid colors, but 5-6 different color combinations

Shield
-1 disc <170g
-Lots of variation in color. Some pink/purple/plum variations. Some grey/blue/white variations
-LOTS of swirly plastic.
-Entire stamp is one uniform color.

I briefly looked for weights on the Shields, but after a few I stopped looking. Unsure if Claymore or Thief is etched with weights. I think not. All of mine were hand weighed to fulfill requests and put in order for our players.

HTH

That helps a ton! Thank you!

I didn't look through the entire thread to see if this has already been discussed, but did anyone else's Trilogy Challenge in their area receive ALOT of horribly colored discs? Like gray, dark silver, dark green, and even poop. I swear, I was making fun of a friend of mine because he got a gray putter, a dark silver mid, and a poop colored driver. The poop colored driver was nearly impossible to see (given it was a heavily wooded course with lots of trees, leaves, and dirt). There were at least 3 or 4 people that day who lost one of the new discs because of the color.

10365506_10152449471384044_8238099413786555838_o.jpg

60 players packs ready to go

Those look like "lose me" colors for sure. I'd say they are worse than Titanium's colors.

I didn't look through the entire thread to see if this has already been discussed, but did anyone else's Trilogy Challenge in their area receive ALOT of horribly colored discs? Like gray, dark silver, dark green, and even poop. I swear, I was making fun of a friend of mine because he got a gray putter, a dark silver mid, and a poop colored driver. The poop colored driver was nearly impossible to see (given it was a heavily wooded course with lots of trees, leaves, and dirt). There were at least 3 or 4 people that day who lost one of the new discs because of the color.

Nothing can be done really to get the recycled/biofuzion line certain colors. It's a blend of regrinded opto and gold line that they have available. So you'll see all kinds of colors and patterns of swirls sometimes and many are darker. Lot of straight black too. Sometimes you'll see light gray, orange, and pinks but it's always a plastic lottery.

Those look like "lose me" colors for sure. I'd say they are worse than Titanium's colors.

See above. Main difference is nothing can be done about regrinds. Discraft, for whatever reason, decided to put out those colors of Titanium on purpose. Or perhaps even they were limited by pigment choices on those first runs of titanium. I think they were going for more pearl and swirl and ended up with dark solid colors that came out a little slick and hard with extra stability.

Saw a claymore on instagram from a trilogy challenge that a lady got today in Texas that was crazy tri color and swirly. Had some gray and pink and a little orange I think. Plus it was rainbow stamped. Pretty sweet.

I applaud their efforts in making discs out of reground plastic. Those brown discs will just have to be watched closely as they fly.

I applaud their efforts in making discs out of reground plastic. Those brown discs will just have to be watched closely as they fly.

Without using those for the challenge you'd have to probably ask a TD to pay $30 each for the packs and then pass that on to the players for $40. It would certainly be cool to get some bright opto or gold line just not feasible I think.

I'm playing in one for sure here, have a pack in the mail coming just for people to test out, and will be playing in the two day finale here in Emporia. The flyer just got posted it's going to be unique and pretty special I think. Like a two day trilogy GBO. 3 rounds, 3 courses (same as GBO this year for courses), 3 pools of divisions, block party, player party with meal, and it's not just for these three molds but players can use any trilogy discs they have. Good for me I have a full grip bag. :hfive: I know some of the local guys who throw a lot of Innova aren't exactly happy but it was always going to be a trilogy event anyway. Just now it's way expanded.

I planned to host a Challenge on my home course for the 1st. I had to cancel it because I could not get enough people to commit to hit the 25 min pack buy in.:( Mabey next year?

I am bummed on the colors that I have seen so far. I expected a lot more colorful disc selection for this event series. Also the weights not being on them and the heavy weights that are being reported don't sound good for those "new" players the Challenge was supposed to attract.

I planned to buy a pack from someone...now I am second guessing myself. I know that sounds dumb but I like colorful/visible plastic especially if it might make my bag. Guess I can just call them "testers" to see if I will want the production ones when they are released.

They might possibly be laser etched for weight and he missed it but I doubt it.

Every disc at the Trilogy Challenge I attended today had the weight laser etched. There was a nice variety of colors in both the Thief and the Claymore, but I'm glad I got there early enough to get bright orange. A few people were stuck with dark green, and one guy on my card lost his driver between rounds. The Shields (all 175g) were all grey (appropriate) or light, pastel pink.

A N00bs review of Trilogy Challenge Discs

Played in the Trilogy challenge yesterday at SFDGC. I didn't see much in the way of reviews after the event so here goes:

Shield- I like this grippy putter alot! The rim height seems a little taller than my kc pro aviar, and has the feel some where between a chalky wizard/soft magnet . The lack of bead on it is a nice change and i was able to put it on all kinds of lines. i shot it a bunch from the 30-50 ft range and it always seemed to go where i wanted or really close. Nice glide. The only downside of it being a little taller to me was when i shot it on a hyzer line around a tree or when it would hit the cage, it would tend to roll a more than i expected which caused me to loose a few strokes. None the less it will stay in my bag.

Claymore- This disc took a bit of warming up to but ultimately i see it occupying a space in my bag somewhere between the Core and a Gstar Roc3.
Being a huge fan of the glide on the core, i was hoping this would be similar, but in that respect, the Core crushes this disc. The plastic feel again is what shines though here. I had to power this disc up quite a bit to get a good glide out of it. i have a 179 Core and 175 Z Buzz ss which both glide for days, this disc was 173 and just never really got the float or laser beam accuracy of either.. One place where this disc shined was in throwing an overhand tomahawk, i was able to get very accurate tomahawks off with this to get me out of some tight spots.

Thief- I wanted to like this driver but ultimately it was the least enjoyable of the 3 discs to me. It felt more like a heavy fairway control driver with a smallish rim than a distance driver. While weights don't always matter, this disc just felt very sluggish to me. Off the tee i got some decent throws, but without a run up this disc tended to just sink way faster than i would have cared for. For Fairway drivers ill stick with my Ace Race Ti and Gstar Fd, for Drivers, Halo and TD2. On a side note, The shiny watermelon color made this disc very easy to spot in brush, near trees, and tall grass. It really is an extremely pretty disc.

Overall it was a great event and really well organized. I really really wish there had been a larger selection of weights available especially for the drivers. All the discs our event received for this tournament were 173- Max Weight. With the intended focus of this event supposed to be leaning towards new players, i found it odd they ONLY sent heavier discs. This made it pretty hard for the brand new players and younger players to even play at all and definitely slanted the odds in favor of bigger armed pros with lots of experience. I cant help but think how different the event might have gone if there had been even just a few lighter discs available. I would have happily taken a 160 or so, and would still like to try the Thief in lighter weights when it becomes available to see if that makes the difference.

I am not as well versed in disc reviews as the previous poster, but I played in the Triology Challenge yesterday at Floral Park in Floral City, FL. It was a very laid back affair (quite different from the Women's Wild Flower tournament I played in earlier in May). They just handed out three discs without options of weight or color as we signed in (not sure if this is the norm). All weights were 170-175, and colors were all earthy colors (pale blues, golds, blacks, greys). Some putters had a cool swirl design in the plastic, but I wasn't lucky enough to get one of those. The logo on the discs is pretty cool, foil stamping in different colors of the Triology logo. However, on a sunny day, the reflection off the discs is not fun! I was blinded many a times while putting.

Out of the three discs, I think I will use the midrange the most. The drivers wasn't a bad a driver, I am not very technical on what exactly it does. When thrown hard and true, it's a pretty straight driver. I did not drive as far as I normally do (like when I use a Wraith or Valkyrie). I have been working on getting more distance while driving, and when I tried to pull my arm back further before throwing, I would end up grip locking and the sunuva gun would go out to the right. So I threw it safely so I didn't completely get myself in a rut.

The putter, it's a very firm putter. I am used to an old soft Wizard putter that was given to me by my husband years ago when I first attempted to learn how to play. It's MY putter and I rarely use any other kind. The best part of this challenge was that it really forced me to examine my putting technique and apply my ability (which isn't exactly all that great) of putting to another type of putter. I warmed up a bit with the putter before the round and I was hitting basket high and low, but as I got used to the feel and had some talks with the putter, I started to get used to it and found my putting groove. I still wasn't as consistent as I am with my Wizard, but I definitely learned how to accept a different style of putter. And that was a big thing for me.

The midrange, I don't know what to compare it to. I am not a good disc comparer. However, in my regular bag, I do have a Buzzz and a Panther for the longer approach shots. It has a rim more similar to the Buzzz, not rounded like the Panther. I have a lot of trouble throwing my Buzzz (I do think this is because my husband swapped out my trusted Buzzz with one of his during one of my lulls in playing, and now me and my newly acquainted Buzzz just don't get along). I rarely throw it because I end up throwing it out to the right far too often. The Panther, I can be deadly accurate and almost always park right around the basket to leave me with a doable putt. I was nervous about throwing the midrange at the Challenge due to it's basic similarities to the Buzz, but I had to learn and once I got the hang of it, I found it to be something that I can throw in my bag along with my Panther. My Buzzz may have to take a vacation.

Overall, it was a fun experience. There was a total of 61 registered players, but I think only about 58 showed up. There were 9 women registered, which is nice to see a good amount out there to compete. Prizes were only awarded to first place (not sure if this is standard practice for the Triology Challenge, or just this TD's setup). I placed in a tie for 3rd among the women, which isn't too bad since Intermediate and Rec were paired together. The only thing that slightly miffed me (and this was more of the tournament setup's fault) is that both rounds they had all the women and juniors start on the FAR back holes. Maybe they just wanted us out of the way? Haha, who knows. The kids were put out even further back than the women. There were only 6 of them and they were very well behaved and great young players. Not really upset about it, it was just one of those things that make you wonder then you move on.

It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoy this little one day challenges that push you out of your comfort zone. I wouldn't mind finding a couple more but the summer months are coming up and yesterday was H-O-T outside. I am a bit toasted on the face today. So, I'll have to hope I can find something in September when things start cooling down here in Florida.

Last edited:
Decided to take some quick pics... Sorry for the dirty desk, markers and my 2 year old don't mix well (unless you're the 2 year old).

Here is the driver (Thief, 173). Looking at the weight, this was probably why I wasn't throwing it as far as my other discs.
photo-1.png

Here is the midrange (Claymore, 174):
photo-3.png

Here is the putter (Shield, 175):
photo-2.png

And that is not a crack in the putter, this plastic used on the putter scratched up easily. It's not performance altering scratching, it's like a surface scratch.

Not a fan of the thief. Just didn't have much luck with my flick style. Tried rollers tried sky roller. Tried thumber. It just laughed and ran away as far from the basket as possible. The guy on my card with most luck seemed to throw it about 60-70 percent back hand and it had a pretty flight path. When he cranked it. It just ran and ran away. Way right for his rhbh. Also the perk add ons were kind of blah.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 91
Agree the perks were kinda Blah.. Have so many useless lanyards from conventions that i never use, etc. They Missed an opportunity to put an erasable scorecard on the the trilogy challenge tag. That would have made it something i kept on my bag for a while at least

Latest posts