• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Trilogy -X plastics

Tinkles

Birdie Member
I had been looking around for this kind of info before purchasing, so thought I would share what I have found post purchase. Please feel free to add your experience. The numbers are how I would rate them not what trilogy does. Sorry for all the .5 but I am indecisive…

Feel
I should preface this by saying I absolutely love lucid plastic. It's a perfect gummy tackiness for my taste. Lucid-x is significantly stiffer and while not quite as tacky, is still a very nice feeling premium plastic. Big fan.

Flight Info

Trespass
• Lucid – 11/5/-2/1
• Lucid-x – 11/5/-1/2

Higher PLH but similar dome. It has been the longest time since I have thrown this one, so I am going by memory. In lucid, this is a turnover disc for me. In -x it is much more true to its numbers.

Bag - I gave the -x to a friend and bag Wraiths in this slot.

River
• Opto – 7/5/-2.5/1
• Optp-x – 7/5/-1.5/1

Higher PLH but similar dome. In lucid, I find this disc flippy in opto but in -x I find it very similar to premium plastic FDs. I was getting similar flight and distance compared to my star FD.

Bag - while I actually liked the feel of the river better, the FD is staying in purely due to sentimentality.

Fuse
• Opto – 5/7/-3/1
• Opto-x – 5/7/-2/1

Higher PLH but similar dome. I actually had two -x versions and one had similar dome to my opto while the other still had a dome but was a little flatter. The domier -x was slightly more stable. In -x this is still a turnover disc with ridiculous glide but a slightly tighter flight. This disc would often surprise me getting very close to my FD/River - it just keeps going.

Bag – dropped the opto as too flippy and am using the -x right now. There is something about gripping this disc I don't love but it is a great disc in -x and is in my bag as my turnover mid, tunnel shots, and steep hyzers shots requiring a long glidey fade.

Emac Truth
• Lucid sparkle – 5.5/5.5/-1/1.5
• Lucid-x – 5.5/5.5/0/2

Higher PLH but similar dome. I have grown to love this disc in lucid but it is not a headwind disc. It will turn and never come back with any power but it does power down really nicely. Lucid sparkle would be my choice for a one disc round as you can throw it on so many angles. I have only had a chance to throw the -x a few times but it basically seems to be a longer lucid verdict. I had read these were pretty flat but mine has a little dome. I think the -x version is more true to the numbers.

Bag – both are currently in the bag. These discs are long and make it easier for me to skip 7 speeds if I want.

Verdict
• Lucid – 5/5/0/2
• Lucid-x – 5/4/0/2.5

Significantly higher PLH and 0 dome. My lucid has a nice normal dome but the -x is a puddle top. I was bagging a lucid verdict but am going to try out the emac in -x as a more durable, slightly longer alternative. The -x seems to go just as fast but dump a little more. When I saw the PLH difference, I was assuming this thing was going to be absolute beef but it does retain speed and decent glide. This disc is like glidey Caiman. -x feels amazing in hand, especially FH.

Bag – I have decide to try this one out as an alternative to my 4x Zone. I should clarify that I can throw this a lot further than the zone (closer to a Caiman) but I think when I power it down it may fly similar lines to the 4x Zone.

X are pretty much more OS for all discs they come in. You must have a bigger arm than I, but I feel the LX Trespass is more true to its original numbers; and the shape of the wing makes it a bit faster than a wraith (not as bulky... semantics), IMO.

I also feel the same for the Verdict; it's more OS than an average Lucid, and board flat (so good for FHs!). However, you get the right normal verdict, it and it's LX counterpart may be pretty similar.

The felon is noticeably more OS versus a normal Lucid, as well. Very utility. Again, maybe more true to it's intended numbers.

And with the plastic; I find the 2018 to be a tad grippier, and maybe a little softer (albeit still quite stiff) as compared to the 2019 stuff.

Thanks for sharing!

Not all plastics across all molds. I have two of each the Fuzion-X Defenders and Tournament-X Longbowman as well as a 2019 Lucid-X Felon. I have also thrown numerous Lucid-X Enforcers.

It does hold true that Longbowmans, Felons, and especially the Enforcers are so much more overstable in X that they are essentially different discs. However, there is so little difference between my regular Fuzion Defenders and my Fuzion-X Defenders. Again, I have several, so I know it is not just one fluke disc. After seeing this, I thought with Fuzion-X and Tournament-X being the same plastic that I would see so little difference between my Longbowmans. I like that disc but they are hard to find in decent colors anymore, so I turned to the white Tournament-X so it could be dyed. I keep my Fuzion and Lucid Longbowmans flat and level almost all the way to the ground, but these Tournament-X are instant and harsh fade out of the hand. Not even remotely close to my Defender experience.

In fact, I threw my yellow Fuzion-X Defender fairly exclusively during the winter, because my normal Defenders are mostly dyemax white and I live in Minnesota where it is winter for nearly six months, and now with that seasoning, it is my flippy Defender whereas my fresher regular Fuzion I consider my stable, headwind option.

X are pretty much more OS for all discs they come in. You must have a bigger arm than I, but I feel the LX Trespass is more true to its original numbers; and the shape of the wing makes it a bit faster than a wraith (not as bulky... semantics), IMO.

I also feel the same for the Verdict; it's more OS than an average Lucid, and board flat (so good for FHs!). However, you get the right normal verdict, it and it's LX counterpart may be pretty similar.

The felon is noticeably more OS versus a normal Lucid, as well. Very utility. Again, maybe more true to it's intended numbers.

And with the plastic; I find the 2018 to be a tad grippier, and maybe a little softer (albeit still quite stiff) as compared to the 2019 stuff.

Thanks for sharing!

my experience is the flashing is so terrible i dont even want to throw anything by trilogy anymoar

7 Trespasses, 2 Felons, 2 Verdicts all in LX, never had a flashing issue. Heck, dozens of DD discs, had one issue with a Lucid Judge, otherwise great quality discs, with no more flashing that you would find on any other companies disc.

And I haven't tried the "TP" style X plastic in anything. Just Lucid X.

my experience is the flashing is so terrible i dont even want to throw anything by trilogy anymoar

That is interesting as I have not run into that, but admittedly I only throw their mids. I have run into a fair amount of flashing issues on the bottom wing of my innova discs which I carry a lot of in 9 speed and up.

You are allowed to remove flashing and molding imperfections. I use a buffer on my Dremel and it takes it right off without chewing into the actual disc as long as I do not linger or press hard.

why would i go through the trouble of sanding down my frisbee when i can just buy one from a different manufacturer that comes without flashing

what other products do people buy where they specifically choose the more laborious route when they have other options

Ok... if you've had bad experience(s), than purchase your products from a different manufacturer. And stop derailing the threads main topic, please.

Ok... if you've had bad experience(s), than purchase your products from a different manufacturer. And stop derailing the threads main topic, please.

not sure if its derailing or exploring the finer points of an "experience" which is what op asked for

which even ties into the "feel" facet which op addresses first

not sure if its derailing or exploring the finer points of an "experience" which is what op asked for

which even ties into the "feel" facet which op addresses first

As much as I enjoy feeding into this....

Ok, this is about the trilogy X plastics specifically. Care to share what X plastic discs you have invested in, so maybe future buyers can be aware of your excessive flashing experience on said discs? That'd be helpful and would add to the dialogue!

Anyone try the TP-X Ahti? I'm thinking of trying one.

I have run into a fair amount of flashing issues on the bottom wing of my innova discs which I carry a lot of in 9 speed and up.

I've had way more of an issue with this as well. My Trilogy stuff has all been fine. The only X plastic I own though is a couple Melton Lucid-X Mavericks. Stiffer feel in the hand and a tad more overstable. Really like them.

Keeping with the original discussion, I've recently done some field work comparing the Saint (Lucid to Lucid-X) and the Truth (board-flat Fusion to domey Lucid-X.) For my arm (280-300 best drive) the difference in plastic is smaller than minor differences in release. Each pair lands on the same line within 3' left or right, and within 5 feet overall distance. The Lucid-X Truth May be a LITTLE more stable than the Fusion, but they're close enough that I would throw either with confidence.

What I'm looking forward to is the Lucid-X discs maintaining their flight longer and hopefully limiting having to cycle in new discs.

I agree with the sentiment of longer life. I do really enjoy Lucid plastic, it's overall great, but it's definitely softer than other similar 'translucent' plastics. I have found the stiffer LX plastic to last longer, and maintain its flight longer. They also seem to be pretty consistent disc to disc, with little variation in flight characteristics. I guess I would hope so, considering they are $20+ a disc.

As much as I enjoy feeding into this....

Ok, this is about the trilogy X plastics specifically. Care to share what X plastic discs you have invested in, so maybe future buyers can be aware of your excessive flashing experience on said discs? That'd be helpful and would add to the dialogue!

oh i would never buy them

i know i have fingered the saint x and the river x at the store

That's part of my lack of experience with X plastic. I'd be willing to try them if the price were to come down. I love Lucid/VIP/opto plastic. The durability is the only con. I just have a hard time justifying that price. Especially the Chameleon X.

oh i would never buy them

i know i have fingered the saint x and the river x at the store

Cool.

That's part of my lack of experience with X plastic. I'd be willing to try them if the price were to come down. I love Lucid/VIP/opto plastic. The durability is the only con. I just have a hard time justifying that price. Especially the Chameleon X.

I get that. Their existence really caters to those who try to keep a "mold count" down in their bags. Where a Lucid and a LX disc may fill the role of two different discs (Felon and Trespass are my examples). Or maybe for those who actually want to support a touring pro (I admit this is not my first priority)!

I try to check DD's website pretty regularly to try to catch LX discs on a good deal. At the start of the next touring season they will usually heavily discount the previous year's LX discs. I can also sometimes grab them for around $13 as a misprint.

As for personal experience with the plastic, I generally find that Lucid-X discs all mold up about one "slot" more overstable in my bag. I also find the hand feel to vary quite a bit from 2018 to 2019 (haven't tried out 2020 yet). Individual disc experience:

Trespass: 2018 LX felt great in the hand, as the plastic had a nice grip to it and they came out fairly flat. I prefer the glidier flight of 2019 though, since they came out with a bit more dome.

Felon: I bag a 2018 and it is still nice and overstable. Has just a hint of a dome to it though. Recently acquired a couple 2019s as backups since they were on discount. Haven't thrown the 2019 yet.

Getaway: Grabbed a 2019 misprint just to give it a try. Too much overlap with a standard non-LX Felon though. This disc just sits on a shelf, since I prefer the extra glide/carry from a Fuzion Getaway or the extra late fade of a Fuzion Felon.

Judge: I really, really like the LX Chameleon Judge. I never threw Fuzion or Lucid Judges, because they just felt wrong in the hand to me. The LX comes out flat though, so it feels much more like the familiar shape of a Classic Blend or Prime Judge. It basically flies the same stability as a fresh Classic Blend Judge too, but obviously holds that stability for way longer.

I don't have much to add in terms of comparisons, but I am really digging the chameleon underworld. Defintely has more finish than a vip underworld or a Maul. Seems to fly like a slightly faster opto river. Looks wild in the sun, too.

Attachments

• 20200418_170123_HDR.jpg
    20200418_170123_HDR.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 16