• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trip Report – Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts

Monocacy

CZ 4 lyfe
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Work trip to Boston so I took an early Saturday flight into Providence RI and spend the weekend throwing Frisbees at trees and rocks. Ended up bagging 6 new courses and 2 new states. If you like rocky, wooded courses with elevation (which I do), you will love this part of the country. Figured a trip report might help others planning a visit.

Saturday: Arrived in Providence airport 8:30 AM, rented a car, and hit the road. Total driving time for the day about 2 hours 30 minutes, with no leg longer than an hour.

Willow Valley (3.54) Richmond RI: This was the best course I have played in RI. And the only course I have played in RI.:D Very fun private course, lots of tight, rocky woods, nicely maintained.

Nichols Field (4.25) East Haddam CT: Second-favorite course on the trip. Gorgeous rocky, mature woods and plenty of elevation. Two thirds of the holes are short and technical, and the other third of the holes are long, challenging wooded bombers. Had the course pretty much to myself on a glorious Saturday.

Rockwell Park (4.00) Bristol CT: This course was . . . interesting. Wandered quite a while through the expansive park before finding the first hole. Dramatic elevation, unfortunately not used as well as it could have been (several grinding uphill holes followed by long walks downhill, for instance). Hole 17 had me clinging to branches trying to get to the bottom of the "fairway" down a steep, muddy ravine. But also some very fun holes, so mixed feelings about this course.

I had hoped to hit Page Park but a thunderstorm rolled through so I checked into a hotel in Southington, CT.

Sunday: I had planned to hit Center Springs Park, a 9-hole course near Wickham Park, but decided to sleep in (not a bad way to spend time on vacation). Total driving time for the day, including dropping off the rental car at BOS Logan airport, 2 hours and 50 minutes.

Wickham Park (4.20) Manchester CT: Pretty park-style course with lots of open bombers. Not my favorite type of disc golf but a nice contrast with the woods courses.

Rapscallion DGC (3.71): Brewery, food truck, and disc golf in one place? Sign me up! Good beer, decent tacos, and lots of fun, short, technical holes. I had a blast.

501 Disc Golf (4.67) Warren MA: Wow! This course was the highlight of the trip. Amazing property, excellent hole design, and an absolute joy to play. Nice chat with the gentleman manning the shop, too.

Other worthy courses in the area include Maple Hill, Borderlands, etc. I had played those on previous trips so I wanted to hit some new courses.

The other highlight of the trip: BT's Smokehouse in Sturbridge, MA. Long line to order your BBQ but worth it!

Last edited:
How were the ticks?

Nice! I might be heading up that way sometime this year, this could really help.