• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Trying something from vibram

Vibram disappointed me, especially durability wise. My drivers all had chunks out of them after a few tree hits. The only disc I actually enjoyed from them was the ridge. Great driving putter. I tried all of their putters in the medium x link and have never seen so many dead center spit outs. It's like they have too much grip and the chains launch them back out. I'm not a vibrant fan obviously Haha.

You are officially the first person I've ever known to complain about Vibram's durability. There is no tougher disc out there, seriously. I've hit every tree in central Ohio with my Ibex and it looks like its brand new.

You are officially the first person I've ever known to complain about Vibram's durability. There is no tougher disc out there, seriously. I've hit every tree in central Ohio with my Ibex and it looks like its brand new.

My ibex I had was fine durability wise. The trak and the ascent were the ones that had chunks come out.

Very odd, I also have a bulletproof Trak. You sure you didn't buy Chinese knock-offs with a yellow Vibscam sticker on them? :D

Very odd, I also have a bulletproof Trak. You sure you didn't buy Chinese knock-offs with a yellow Vibscam sticker on them? :D

It's quite possible! Haha. Maybe my local store just got a batch of not so great ones. I bought them all off of the same shipment. It was right after the trak release I believe.

I agree with dpg. I have had a bunch of vibram discs, and the only time I have been able to damage them was with an errant throw into a construction site (where my disc found some metal bands and got a small slice out of the rim) and while playing at a VERY rocky course about an hour from my home town.

Vibram disappointed me, especially durability wise. My drivers all had chunks out of them after a few tree hits. The only disc I actually enjoyed from them was the ridge. Great driving putter. I tried all of their putters in the medium x link and have never seen so many dead center spit outs. It's like they have too much grip and the chains launch them back out. I'm not a vibrant fan obviously Haha.

I have a firm Ascent that has some chunks out of it, and another firm Ascent that has arguably taken more damage and is none worse for the wear. Kind of strange as all my other Vibrams are darn near invincible. If you want to avoid the durability issues, get some softs. The drivers take some getting used to, but you'll love them when it clicks.

To the OP maybe pick up a medium and a soft Trak, then firm or mediums of whatever else you want to try. Softober really makes me focus on my form!

You can't go wrong with a Ridge or an Ibex. Both are great discs. But Vibram makes other good molds as well. Beware of the VP: it is VERY over stable, which is fine if that's what you want in a putter, but I can't get much use of them for driving. If you want a driving putter, start with a Ridge.

My favorite Vibram and the one I recommend people start with. Universal disc appeal, imo. If you've got a big arm, perhaps start with the Obex.

My favorite Vibram and the one I recommend people start with. Universal disc appeal, imo. If you've got a big arm, perhaps start with the Obex.

Damn right. Ibex has quickly turned into my go-to disc, and I'll be getting my hands on a soft one soon. :clap:

I have three Vibram discs and love them all. I bought a soft VP to use as a putter, but it's incredibly overstable so I wasn't used to it. Eventually I realized I should be using it as a mid-range/upshot and it's become the only disc I use for that array of shots.

It holds a strong dynamic anhyzer and when it turns over, it floats down flat while keeping its anhyzer momentum- this is perfect for cutting around trees and landing in or at the foot of the basket. Same goes for hyzer cuts, except it doesn't land flat- lands at a cut angle, but it's so soft it absorbs the impact and stay where it lands.

The other two I have are medium Traks- 173g and 168g. the 168 has much more glide, but both are my farthest flying discs, probably because I'm so comfortable with them. They fly impeccably straight- hyzers are quickly nulled and turned flat, and the fade at the end keeps the disc almost completely horizontal. It doesn't have much lift on it's own, so it's easy to keep your shot low. the only thing it doesn't do too well is anhyzer shots, the anhyzer will give you slight turn, but the fade will come in and nearly negate your forced turn.

Still great and incredibly dependable. It's my go to driver on any hole that's a straight shot or slight dog leg to the left, especially when tree cover is an issue.

Damn right. Ibex has quickly turned into my go-to disc, and I'll be getting my hands on a soft one soon. :clap:

I've had my soft Ibex for a few weeks now... All I have to say is prepare to be extremely impressed all over again.

As for the OP, the Ibex is the most universal disc like Mr. Dodge said, so I'd try that. But, if you like overstable putters (or are just willing to try one), the VP is the best putter on the market. Definitely my favorite mold.

Just picked up my soft Ibex and I can't keep my hands off of it. I've never felt a grippier disc, and it makes my RFF Wizards feel firm. I already want another one for a catch disc.

Latest posts