• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying something new.. Small bag, minimal molds.

nb2210

Par Member
So a little background, I've been playing for going on 3 years now, really started trying to get better the last year and a half. Like most people I've acquired a bunch of discs while playing. Once I decided to start taking is seriously, I bought a new bag, a good bag. A grip AX15. I love it, the only problem is its too big, I can carry damn near 30 discs, and if you don't have it fullish things start falling over and out of it. Now the problem is, every time I throw a disc well a few times it ends up in the bag, so Im constantly second guessing myself on what disc to throw.

I recently got a call from some buddies who were getting ready to play a round, asking if I wanted to join. I was nearby so I jumped at the opportunity only to realize on arrival, that I cleaned my truck out the night before and didn't have my bag. I was able to bum a few discs off buddies and played the whole round with a Nuke, stalker, buzz, and wizard. Shot my best round in 2 months. So I've read all the posts about how to build a bag and this is the setup I think I'm rolling with in my c-series grip.

drivers

Nuke-5 in various stages of wear flippy to beefy all either z or to
Sexton glow firebird- reliable stability and distance control
Glow stalker- 2 main fairway drivers fh or BH
Z XS- under stable fairway til I beat in a stalker
Icon mongoose- floppy disc every one hates but I love for rollers

Mids- this is where my bag is slimming the most, I was carrying 4 molds

Buzzz- 4 same as nukes, different levels of wear, I'm just worried because they're 3 different plastics..

Putters

Wizard- 2 these are my putters I change plastics with the weather but always wizards to finish.
ESP zone- predictable overstable approaches fh or BH and utility disc
TI banger GT- slowly moving my envy out of the bag as a driving putter and upshot disc.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has luck throwing fewer molds

17 discs wouldn't qualify as a "small" bag in my opinion. Around 10 would be closer.
I carried 11 for the majority of my career and my game has suffered since I stepped up to a revolution carolina (16) and a dd ranger (20!) over the last 2 years.
Know your plastic, know your throws. A minimal bag can help with that.

I've recently slimmed down to literally only 5 discs: wraith, TB, FB, Suspect, Judge. I feel like it's a head game, ultimately, but I think I'm playing the most consistent I ever have.

The end goal is have a couple/few of each mold to do the mold minimalist thing, but, you still have to ask yourself "do I need this disc?" More often than not, 'your beat blue nuke does the same one the pink one does.' Second guessing yourself usually hurts the score. I do think you took a step in the right direction by realizing you don't need to fill a giant bag with discs 'just to keep it steady.'

However, go throw and have fun doing it. There isn't going to be a right or wrong way to do it, just what feels right and keeps you from hitting the least amount of trees!

I have tubs full of discs and a back-pack full but, my best scores and my favorite way to play is still 11 discs in an Innova standard bag.

I know those 11 discs very well, it's easy to carry and I concentrate more on shot making than disc picking.

So a little background, I've been playing for going on 3 years now, really started trying to get better the last year and a half. Like most people I've acquired a bunch of discs while playing. Once I decided to start taking is seriously, I bought a new bag, a good bag. A grip AX15. I love it, the only problem is its too big, I can carry damn near 30 discs, and if you don't have it fullish things start falling over and out of it. Now the problem is, every time I throw a disc well a few times it ends up in the bag, so Im constantly second guessing myself on what disc to throw.

I recently got a call from some buddies who were getting ready to play a round, asking if

drivers

Sexton glow firebird- reliable stability and distance control
Glow stalker- 2 main fairway drivers fh or BH
Z XS- under stable fairway til I beat in a stalker

Mids- this is where my bag is slimming the most, I was carrying 4 molds

Buzzz- 4 same as nukes, different levels of wear, I'm just worried because they're 3 different plastics..
worried about what? Thats how you should use a mold like roc/buzzz
Putters

Wizard- 2 these are my putters I change plastics with the weather but always wizards to finish.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has luck throwing fewer molds.
this is how i would do it. B4 that wasnt a small bag really at all. My buddy uses a small bag and scores well w/
Ion
Buzzz
Insanity (sidewinder/dx valk for water/winter)
Volt

He will carry some other discs but doesnt really throw them lol. He is good at both FH and BH with all the molds too so that really helps when you can do some mean putter flicks.

Recently went back small...
From 19/24 discs to 12.
2 judges
Rhyno
2 rocs (dx/champ r3)
Qms
Buzz os
TB, FB, discraft XL, teerex, valk.

There are two ways to think of "smaller" bags:

1. What I did last winter, and will do again this winter, is work with a 'putter-only' bag, where I take only putting and throwing putters. This is to work on form, on longer approaches (since a putter on a drive won't get to where a Tern will for me), and overall versatility. Then I'll add one mid to the set, then one fairway/control driver, and so on.

2. As to just a smaller bag, I could cut my current 16-17 down to 11, and sometimes do, depending on the course(s) I am playing:
Putting putter
Throwing putter
OS approach
US approach
Utility mid
Pink Panther (not negotiable)
mid for (relative) max distance
stable/overstable control driver
stable/understable control driver
distance driver (OS for windy conditions)
distance driver (distance)