• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to buy baskets for course!

LeftyToss

Bogey Member
Does anyone know of a website that maybe would give a discount on baskets if it was purchased by a township to build a course in a park?

I'm from NJ. There aren't many good disc golf courses around me (within 30 min. drive). The closest good course is Sedgley (in Philadelphia). The other day my friend and I were talking about building our own 9 hole course. This small idea turned into an actual plan. We've found a spot that we are pretty sure is park land. It could easily fit 9 holes. The only thing we'd really need the township to pay for would be the baskets. I have some years of construction and landscaping experience so building tees and other things wouldn't be a problem (there are lots of fallen trees that could be used.

Have you actually talked to the township yet?

Also, if they don't have the cash, see if local businesses will "sponsor" a basket in exchange for a sign or plaque somewhere.

Hey Brad,
Is this for Freedom park? I spoke to the gentleman we both spoke to and he is going to be meeting with the township soon ... Ill let you know what I hear about it.
Like Adam said getting local businesses to sponsor holes is a great way to get baskets ... also online disc stores (i.e. Prime Discs) and even some of the big DG companies will sponsor a hole for a course.

Also, if they don't have the cash, see if local businesses will "sponsor" a basket in exchange for a sign or plaque somewhere.

A course near me does this (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1877&mode=ci), and while it's just an okay course, the signage is pretty cool. One (or two) local businesses sponsor each hole, and on the sign next to the tee for the hole they sponsor they are recognized for their support of their course. The signs are cheap, as well - but look really nice. The poles are made from PVC pipe and connectors, and form an upside-down "L" from which the actual sign hangs. The sign includes the information for the hole (map, footage, and par) as well as the sponsor. It comes out looking pretty classy, and they ended up having the course paid for by local businesses.

I haven't gone to the township yet. I kinda wanted to go in with a bit of information so I'm not just like "Hey! give me money for a disc golf course!" I'm trying to put together a packet of info on the game and pricing and what not.

Frank, it's actually not for Freedom Park. I figured I'd let that guy go for freedom. We have this area near a lake (its more like a river). Its a township park and there's a very nice wooded area on the other side that's untouched aside from a few walking trails. I figured maybe if I pitch the idea they'd maybe go for. I figure it's worth a shot. The more courses the merrier!

Frank, it's actually not for Freedom Park. I figured I'd let that guy go for freedom. We have this area near a lake (its more like a river). Its a township park and there's a very nice wooded area on the other side that's untouched aside from a few walking trails. I figured maybe if I pitch the idea they'd maybe go for. I figure it's worth a shot. The more courses the merrier!

That sounds pretty cool ... I PM'ed you some links to help you out.

If you PM me your email address I can send you the proposal I submitted 2yrs ago for a 9 hole just outside of Boston (b/c like you, everything was about an hour from me). The baskets will be installed very soon.

I think the worst thing you can do is start out by saying you can raise the money. I know I lucked out with the town and the people I submitted my propposal to but I have not had to raise one cent. I think too many players assume they'll have to raise the funds so start out by being honest about costs. Then if they like the idea but balk at the price you can throw other things at them.

Contact the basket MFG's. As soon as you start pricing multiple baskets you should be getting wholesale quotes which are about $100 off retail. PM me. We should talk.

Definatly talk to the DGA or Innova. They both promote disc golf not just make a profit. They will do the most to help you out for sure. Dave Dunnipace is an awesome guy too!!

Get a hold of Matt LaCourte who is in Jersey not far from Tinicum. He both works for a parks system, and has been successful in getting a Township park installed.

You might also ask around in your area and find out if any courses are getting pulled. There was one down in SC on a private golf course where the course owner has expressed an interest in selling the baskets at a loss due to a lack of interest/use. Our club was considering buying some of them until we found out they are the Discatcher Sport model.

What about Mach Targets???

Where can you purchase the "Mach" line of baskets? I can't stand the "DiscCatchers"

Never mind. The post above has a link to purchase the "Machs"

Where can you purchase the "Mach" line of baskets? I can't stand the "DiscCatchers"

Never mind. The post above has a link to purchase the "Machs"

If you're in an Innova-infested area checkout Discraft's Chainstar. I feel that most ofthe courses I play in New England have Chainstars. We have very few Mach III's and Discatchers up here. Discatchers are $250-300 wholesale (depending on which option you buy).

Everyone keep in mind you usually have 3 options:
1) Free standing (with stand)
2) Permanent (pole only)
3) Permanent w/locking collar assembly

You'll need #3 if you ever want to have moveable pole positions. I imagine this would make it easier to replace a damaged basket.

Here is one more thought outside the box, find out if your local high school/ CC's have a welding class, download a basket spec sheet and go see the instructor, they are usually looking for projects and get tired of building the same old BBQ pits.

the pdga has a matching baskets program for schools...find some land on a school and get 9 free when you pay for 9...
I looked into this as well. The program is based on financial need and pretty competitive, but well worth thr try.

Here is one more thought outside the box, find out if your local high school/ CC's have a welding class, download a basket spec sheet and go see the instructor, they are usually looking for projects and get tired of building the same old BBQ pits.
I also tried this and the welding people I talked to said it's more about bends and having the right equipment than welding. But if you can find someone willing this can save some cash.