• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trying to "rip" and getting hard turn

vdWcontact

Hi all, I'm a new player (about 6 months) in Austin, TX.

I've been experimenting with grip a lot lately, as I realized that grip is the one thing that I had yet to really address in my switch from just tossing ultimate frisbees to disc golfing.

I started by adopting the power grip, with all four finger pads connecting with the inner rim of the disc, and pulling the rim into the crease of my palm. I then learned from a conversation in another thread that this is going to limit my "rip" and that I should keep the disc off my palm.

After making that change I noticed a distinct feeling of "rip" as the disc escapes my index finger and thumb. However, I also started turning everything hard right (I'm RHBH) as soon as it left my hand. I gleefully thought that maybe I had added so much power that my champ Valk was too understable for me now (it didn't take much research to learn that this is not the case). And just to be clear these are HARD turns. I'm almost turning drives into rollers with a Champion Valkyrie.

So am I just releasing on an anhyzer angle due to my new grip? Are there subtleties in the grip that can effect the release angle in a non obvious way? I tend to keep my thumb pretty close to the outer rim in order to keep the nose down.

If anyone else has gone through this and fixed it I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

Its really hard to say without film. If you could post some throwing footage that would be super helpful. Without being able to say for sure, there are a couple of likely culprits:

1) You're new grip is getting a significant Anhyzer release

2) You're massively over torqueing and not keeping your body/swing plane in line with your ideal release angle. The Ol' OAT monster is rearing its head.

3) You're holding onto the disc later in the hit, which is good, but your shoulders are opening to soon. So where the disc used to come out earlier, with your shoulders in a better alignment, its now coming out later after your shoulders have already opened back up. This is making everything yank off to the right.

Probably some combination of all three.

Also, there may be so much nose down it can't get a full helix/hyzerflip

That too. Or on the same subject; his grip changed the nose angle significantly. So before he was throwing a lot of nose up or air bounces and his disc is acting significantly less stable now that his gotten the nose down

How old is that Valk?

I don't know because it was found (no number on it) but the disc is in pretty good shape. Champion plastic, no scars.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has replied, I looked into OAT and can't wait to get out to the field tomorrow AM.

Shouldn't be a problem with this disc then. I say maybe slow down a bit, really focus on not getting that OAT and let her rip.

This weekend I switched to a birdie grip and stopped taking running starts on all my shots. The problem is totally gone.

For whatever reason the power grip is just uncomfortable for me, but the birdie feels great. I can tell that I won't have as much rip but just seeing the disc fly correctly is a relief.

Thanks for helping out guys.

I started with a 3 finger grip, dropping the pinky off the disc and either stacking it on my ring finger, or curling it in my palm. I also played around with the Bonopane grip. I eventually weened myself off of it, but still grip with it first to get my pressure and placement, and then go to a full 4 finger power grip. It was a slow process, but it was worth it, and by adapting a grip I could throw right now, it kept me in the game and having fun on the course.

Latest posts