• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tunnelshots Avery Jenkins

Did I ever tell you about the time Avery and I went horseback riding, but there weren't any horses around? Anyway, Avery throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn't ya know it, my stamina increased with each day, and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Avery decides to enter me into the Breeders Cup under the name Turkish Delight. And I'm running in second place, and I'm running, and I break my ankle. So anyway, they're about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, Don't shoot him, he's a human.

Best Post Ever!

Did I ever tell you about the time Avery and I went horseback riding, but there weren't any horses around? Anyway, Avery throws a saddle on my back and rides me around Wyoming for three days. Well, wouldn't ya know it, my stamina increased with each day, and I develop tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, Avery decides to enter me into the Breeders Cup under the name Turkish Delight. And I'm running in second place, and I'm running, and I break my ankle. So anyway, they're about to shoot me. Then someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, Don't shoot him, he's a human.

ummm I'm pretty sure they made a movie named brokeback mountain about your circumstance. :\

I'm sorry but you made that WAYYYYYYY too easy.

Easy to complain and nitpick. These videos didn't cost us anything to watch. Why complain? They are well done and Avery Jenkins is a name people recognize and he would destroy 99.9% of us here on the boards in a round of DG. So thanks to those who put the video together, free of charge, for the rest of us to enjoy.

Interesting choice of holes to demonstrate a tunnel shot. To me, that is an open shot with a chute for the last few feet. I suppose it was used for the screwed up depth perception that cameras give.

To me, the challenge of most tunnel shots is what is forced on me in the first 50-100'....navigating narrow gaps and the fear of the repercussions of missing those gaps. After disc selection, its all about being smooth, throwing at no more than 80-85% power, and focusing on hitting a spot in the air around 75' down the fairway.

That said, when I am confident I do not even "see" all the early trees early in the fairway. So it the hole might as well be the one shown. And, his advice is solid.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have a much easier time throwing tunnel shots where there are trees/obstacles that I have to avoid right off the teepad vs. shots like the one Avery demonstrated here where there is a bunch of wide open space and then a gap about 200' away. Those shots absolutely kill me.

in regards to the video I think it was great quality. In fact I wish innova spent more time focusing on this and cornering that part of the market vs sticking their nose in PDGA business...but that is just my 2 cents. This is heads and shoulders above the quality of stuff we currently get with DGPtv and we didn't even have to pay for it.

They played Buckhorn, which except for the two hyzers over the lake, is completely wooded.

Three, actually, (9 teed from the original pad beside the lake in 2007; the current pad wasn't in place yet), but who's counting? :)

I suppose Buckhorn could be considered a wooded course since it is set in a forest, but as wide and as high as the ceilings on most of the fairways are compared to, say UNC 2, 10, 11, 16-17, Wellspring, or most of the longs at Valley Springs, I think it's a bit of a stretch to call them tunnel shots.

in regards to the video I think it was great quality. In fact I wish innova spent more time focusing on this and cornering that part of the market vs sticking their nose in PDGA business...but that is just my 2 cents. This is heads and shoulders above the quality of stuff we currently get with DGPtv and we didn't even have to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure it's lcgm8 doing the filming and editing so of course the video quality is going to be outstanding.

It's really not fair to compare a three minute video like this that can be reshot as many times as needed, edited just as much, and then uploaded compared to a live streamed 3+ hour event.

Any video from a pro is a good video. Information for new players is always a good thing

I'm pretty sure it's lcgm8 doing the filming and editing so of course the video quality is going to be outstanding.

It's really not fair to compare a three minute video like this that can be reshot as many times as needed, edited just as much, and then uploaded compared to a live streamed 3+ hour event.

I dont know about the whole Icgm8 thing, but my initial reaction is that #1 leads to #2. Yes it was only a 3 min video, however that 3 min video shows what is possible. Multiple camera angles and quality video and editing etc...I'm willing to bet most of us around here would even be willing to deal with a 5-10 min lag from live coverage to have video that doesn't freeze or pixilate and chop etc. Then add on top of that someone not quite so crazy and outlandish that leaves you going "WTF?? no wonder our sport has a bad rep" who clearly commentates like a professional.

that 3 min video shows what is possible. Multiple camera angles and quality video and editing etc...

Watch any major sporting event and it shows what's possible...

The issue comes down to money. It's easy to hire out a crew to put together quick videos like this. It would be far more costly and cumbersome to set up a live broadcast of similar quality.

I dont know about the whole Icgm8 thing, but my initial reaction is that #1 leads to #2. Yes it was only a 3 min video, however that 3 min video shows what is possible. Multiple camera angles and quality video and editing etc...I'm willing to bet most of us around here would even be willing to deal with a 5-10 min lag from live coverage to have video that doesn't freeze or pixilate and chop etc. Then add on top of that someone not quite so crazy and outlandish that leaves you going "WTF?? no wonder our sport has a bad rep" who clearly commentates like a professional.

We could have that today if not for one issue...funding. Convince the PDGA to add another zero to what they pay DGP.

We could have that today if not for one issue...funding. Convince the PDGA to add another zero to what they pay DGP.

Now we're totally derailing this thread.. but the big question here is what is the value (to the PDGA) of 'live' streaming video? e.g. Does it bring in new players to the PDGA? Is it financially *more* valuable/viable than after-the-event relatively low-cost compilations? Does it have value for attracting advertisers? How much?

Nice job Avery!

I'd like to see more actual shots, and some different ways you might go about this. For example, some people can't throw 350 with a flat release on a Roc, or the tunnel is longer than that. I have never forgotten seeing Steve Rico use an understable Patriot to park Hole 11 at Dela, give it a little hyzer and have it flatten out, keep spinning and not ever fully fade out.

Any video from a pro is a good video. Information for new players is always a good thing

This, I love how DGCR "misses the gap" so to speak, just because of who is on the video or what company is behind it. I picked up disc golf right around the time Deep in the Game came out, those vids really helped me develop the right ideas about putting and throwing.

Everyone loves too bash A.J on here. I liked the vid, it was well put together. Although it could have showed a few more different approaches

I agree it's not a true tunnel shot, but there's some good stuff in there for a 3 minute video.

I've never thought about choosing a a target 5' - 10' in front of you to focus on. I'm always focusing on the basket.

Latest posts