• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turf tees vs concrete

Seems like we're pretty close bud. Bakersfield, CA here. I know this is off topic but we just played the Fresno trilogy challenge and stopped at Mooney Grove on the way back (awesome course, just played the outback 18 though).

Hit me up next time mate, I am a newbie in Exeter, CA, (my closest DG towns are Porterville and Visalia) but any excuse!

If you don't like any type of tee pad, you can always drive from next to or behind the tee pad, in a casual round of course.

Perkerson Park in Atlanta has that poured rubber playground stuff. Fabulous when dry. I'm also curious as to how it is wet, and how it will endure heavy use.

While there is no one right answer, concrete, done right, gives good traction, is decent when wet, and far more durable than anything else I've seen.

The Tees at "TheP" also cost 35 THOUSAND dollars or about a grand each........if you are rich, hit the lotto, or get a grant for 50 grand to get 18 baskets and 35 tees - then you probably will not get them....:D

We've just installed Terrewalk on the blue tees at Bud Pell at Ross Farm. These are made of a recycled plastic material, and they have good grip without being overly grippy. We poured water on one of them to see how they played when wet, and they actually felt slightly grippier. These came in squares 2' by 2', at about $35 apiece. The cost of these came out to around $5800, but the red tees we're doing in recycled materials and concrete at a significantly cheaper cost.

It does remain to be seen how well these will hold up over time, but so far, we like throwing off of them. One of the upsides of these is they can be fairly easily moved if need be.

The Tees at "TheP" also cost 35 THOUSAND dollars or about a grand each........if you are rich, hit the lotto, or get a grant for 50 grand to get 18 baskets and 35 tees - then you probably will not get them....:D

At that price, they ought to be great.

Concrete is the standard tee in the U.S. If you have been to Europe or have watched any footage the standard tees are terf on top of wood. The only course I can think of with terf is Richmond Hill in NC and I liked it.

Sometimes new or temp courses in the U.S. use rubber tees. Why is the standard concrete? I know I will be in the minority here but I actually prefer terf. In a perfectly dry world I also like the rubber tees.

Concrete tees are often done by the park or city and not a club or someone who knows how a tee should be finished. They tend to either have too much grip or not enough grip.

Looks at all the reviews for Rolling Pines, a new park with slippery tees. Did they paint them with something? One city park knew we wanted the tees to be "grippy" & they raked the wet concrete & it has way too much grip. Concrete tees tear up shoes and are a mess to change as a course grows or needs to change over time.

Am I the crazy one?
I suspect part of the reason for turf tees in Finland and Sweden maybe ground freeze and thaw conditions over there that move the land.

I'm not particularly picky about tees, but the painted concrete tees at Rolling Pines are a travesty. I'm ok with most concrete tees, yeah some are too grippy like Harmon Hills comes to mind. Astro turf is generally one of my favorite tees like at the Blockhouse are probably my favorite of all. Rubber tees are generally my least favorite, I'll often prefer rutted natural tees over slick rubber. Tees very rarely factor into my course ratings although I'll mention issues the review.