• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

turnover fairway driver

Ryan P.

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm looking for a fairway driver that will be good for turnover shots. I love the stingray, but i need more distance. i've heard that the leopard is good, but i'd love to get away from innova. any suggestions would be much appreciated. Here's what i would like

Something that i could give it a good hard throw (80-90% of power that can throw teebirds about 340') but it wouldn't turn into a roller. However, it would flip over and hold an anhyzer flight the entire way when thrown about 20' or so in the air (max height). It doesn't have to fly that way out of the box, but i don't want to buy a disc that is going to fly that way for a couple of days and then turn into a roller disc the next week.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

First thing off the top of my head would be get an XL and break it in. An XS would be good too but with wear will get super flippy.

I use an Elite Z Discraft Stratus, and it works great. Lots of glide and loves to turn right.

If you want to get away from Innova, I would suggest something like Discraft's Avenger SS. It's available in Elite Z, ESP, Or ESP FLX, & wieghts as low as 167gm. Pesonally i cant see why you want to get away form Innova. They make a lot of good understable disc's (no affiliation) which get good distance & can be turned over easy (Leopard,sidewinder,roadrunner,monarch). Also the XL is a good choice: good for distance, but not too overstable, & makes a good roller!

The Avenger SS in Elite Z plastic does this well for me. Throw it hard and flat, and it'll flip for you no problem. Once it flips, it doesn't come back. If you start it on an anhyzer line, you might get some good roller throws out of it.

I think you might really like the Xpress. The Elite X plastic is more understable than the Elite Z. I use Elite X but I only throw Teebirds about 300 so Elite Z might be better for you.

I'm looking for a fairway driver that will be good for turnover shots. I love the stingray, but i need more distance.

i know you said you want to get away from innova, but i only throw innova, so that is the only thing i can provide feedback for. i have a stingray as well, and really like it. the champion roadrunner by innova is a very similar disc, but a lot longer. i have had great success with turnover shots throwing this disc. smooth, right-hand turns that don't fade back. i am also starting to use this disc for the hyzer flip shot, and it is working great for that as well. i have a monarch as well, but the roadrunner is by far my favorite between those two.

To roll or not to roll

I have a Elite X Xtreme, and I do believe that it will be a little too understable for your needs. I turns right very easily, as if it wants to become a roller. For shots under 300, I really like the discraft meteor thrown with a slight hyzer. If you throw it with an anhyzer angle it will almost always turn into a roller. If you throw it flat at around half power it goes super straight.

For longer turnover shots I like a wraith thrown with an anhyzer angle at near full power. With enough height it does not turn into a roller, but it will not come back much, so make sure you want it to go right. On good days, I really like the roadrunner, but mine is max weight and I have trouble getting it to turn every time. I keep telling myself I need to get one around 165, but I haven't gotten around to it let.

If you want to get away from Innova I'd go with a D Cyclone and get it nice and beat in. Other discs will work well, too, but this shot will be the easiest to perform with a D Cyclone (or DX Gazelle or DX Eagle if you go back to Innova.)

The Roadrunner or Sidewinder are made for just the shot you are talikng about and are great distance drivers. If you want to go away from Innova, your choices would be the XS or QJLS or LS Polaris (if you have a good arm) and the Xpress (if your arm is not so strong). Another choice might be Quest AT's Defender.

If you want to get away from Innova I'd go with a D Cyclone and get it nice and beat in. Other discs will work well, too, but this shot will be the easiest to perform with a D Cyclone (or DX Gazelle or DX Eagle if you go back to Innova.)

Yeah I got a couple of these expecting them to be stable to overstable, but as they beat in they're starting to turn over for me. I like the mold, but I'm gonna have to get Elite Z for the results I expected.

You might even get similar results with a beat Roc, though it probably won't go over 300' for you with this kind of flight.

Latest posts