• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Turnover vs. Forehand

Do you turn your disc over or forehand it?

• Total voters

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
What do you use (assuming you normally throw backhanded)?

Turn it over. Until I develop some type of consistency with forehand accuracy I'll be sticking to using more understable discs backhand. But depending on what lies before me and above me I might well say pissoff to both and throw a thumber.

Turn it over!!!

I stink at forehand, and only throw forehand if there is no alternative.
I have a worn in ProWraith that turns over very well, and my Champ Roadrunner is by far my favorite turnover disc. As far as midrange discs, the DX Stingray is really good for turnovers.

I throw primarily RHBH.

i only forehand when i have too and it usally works out pretty good , which has got me thinking i should start trying forehand on open mid range shots too as im not always consistent on my midrange turnover shots and lack confidence at how much anny to use or what disc would work.

thanks for bringing this up i think ill try more forehand mid shots which might help me cut down on the amount of discs i throw which should help my consistency and or confidence .

While spectating at an A tier tourney recently I noticed that most pro's about 75% of the time threw an anhyzer shot if they needed to turn right. The other 25% of the time they threw sidearm. I never once saw anyone throw a "turnover" throw on purpose. I heard one pro say that for max distance on an open hole he will try to turnover his most overstable disc.

I also never saw any of them switch to left handed back hand.

I will throw the turnover much easier for me. I have no forehand shot to speak of.I use either an Avenger SS, a way worn DX cheetah or a champ sidewinder. For a mid a ESP Buzzz or a FLX buzzz.

While spectating at an A tier tourney recently I noticed that most pro's about 75% of the time threw an anhyzer shot if they needed to turn right. The other 25% of the time they threw sidearm. I never once saw anyone throw a "turnover" throw on purpose. I heard one pro say that for max distance on an open hole he will try to turnover his most overstable disc.

I also never saw any of them switch to left handed back hand.
i thought a turnover was the same as an anny shot or is a turnover more of an s-curve shot

An anhyzer is dictated by angle while a turnover is caused by throwing a disc faster than it's stability can handle. An angle is much easier to control than armspeed. The real trick to throwing consistent anhyzers is following though low.

Turnovers are pretty when they work and fun to throw but they are not consistent.

I go for the turnover because I havn't worked on the forehand enough. This doesn't mean that I won't throw forehand during a round though. Sometimes it's the only option out.

For me, forehand is just a safer throw than a turnover, I've always been strangely more accurate that way even though I throw predominately RHBH. I'll only throw turnovers if my arse is right up against a tree lined fairway on the right. I'm also throwing thumbers more often.

i usally only use a turnover shot if i dont have room to the left to throw an anny or room on the right for a helix shot and then only if its out of my forehand range . I havnt come across that many holes that i need a turnover drive and dont use it on most of the courses i play but its something i still need in my repertoire on occasion and would suggest a broke in 175 champ valk for anyone who throws 300ft+ and cant find a disc for those shots.

It depends on the line. Forehands have a sharp fade at the end and turnovers are most consistant when you need the disc to either flatten out or fade back. If you need an anhzyer line, but would rather the disc stick on the landing or roll back left a bit, an anhzyer is better, but if you want an anhyzer line with some skip right on the end a forehand is better.

Turnovers are risky for me and i always want to make sure i can make a comeback shot if it doesn't turn. I'll throw anny if the turn is close, turnover if there is room to correct if it doesn't flip enough and forehand if I have to.

I am starting to work on some forehand though. I'd like to be able to use it more often.

It depends on the line. Forehands have a sharp fade at the end and turnovers are most consistant when you need the disc to either flatten out or fade back. If you need an anhzyer line, but would rather the disc stick on the landing or roll back left a bit, an anhzyer is better, but if you want an anhyzer line with some skip right on the end a forehand is better.

Garublador is making a lot of sense this morning. I'd agree -- for beginning players, forehands/anhyzers/turnovers all achieve basically the same goal -- to make a disc go right.

For more advanced/pro players, you need all three shots on different holes because the lines that the discs travel are so radically different. It is impossible to throw a forehand that goes 200' foreward and then makes and 90-degree turn and dives 200' right. However, you can make that shot with an anhyzer. If you're dealing with a low ceiling shot, it is impossible to throw an anhyzer/turnover that goes 300' foreward and then makes a sharp turn 60' right, but that's an easy shot with a skip-forehand.

It's not really a matter of which shot is "better" or "preferred" -- its a matter of picking the shot that best matches the hole. Yes, there are some holes that can be reached by any of these methods, but there are other situations where there is only one way to make a disc fly to achieve the desired path, and the seasoned pro with a lot of throws to choose from will choose the right tool for the job.

Since I can throw both shots, I guess it depends on how far the disc needs to curve. If the disc needs to travel farther right, sidearm is the was to go. But, if the disc only needs a gentle turn then the turnover is best.
DSCJNKY

I simply can not flick. I see smaller guys with long lanky arms throw forehand and get as far as me. Makes me wish I could develop mine, but the motion is so awkward to me and i get no distance. I do gain control, but I can't send it any farther than about 150 ft. When I throw RHBH I can get them as far as 375 ft.

Depends entirely on the what the hole requires. You can't anhyzer a disc on as sharp of a turn as you can with a forehand shot.

Depends entirely on the what the hole requires. You can't anhyzer a disc on as sharp of a turn as you can with a forehand shot.

I agree, but only on low-ceiling shots.

On a shot with a high ceiling (or no ceiling), you can torque over an anhyzer and cause it to turn 90-degrees or more -- with a forehand, you can't make turns nearly that sharp, even when skipping off the ground.

Latest posts