• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tyler 54 Tyler, Texas

:rolleyes: um, yes.

Most of you have no idea how much work was put into the dogwood course alone to have it ready for tournament play, much less the rest of the work involved with getting an event together....players packages, raffle prizes, ring of fire prizes, sponserships, awards, discs, even down to having plenty of water on the courses, etc.

So you shouldn't call out a surgeon on a botched surgery just because you aren't a surgeon yourself? What about criticizing politicians? Should we not do that then?

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that tournament directors across the country spend just as much time prepping their courses and securing sponsors/prizes/discs as the folks in Tyler did- don't act like the Tyler courses are some sort of special exception in that regard. Chris did a GREAT job of having water on the courses throughout the event but a not-so-great job of starting on time, having an up to date prereg list (which probably hurt his attendance), and posting scores. I had fun and felt that most in attendance did as well. I'll be back next year.

I understand and completely appreciate the time and effort that it takes to be a TD. You've got to call it like it is, though.

Good news! The results are up, but right now it says we all tied at even. Also, there are only 65 people listed instead of the 72 announced. Ah, well. At least we finally have a pre reg list up, or something like it. Keep up the good work!

Listen Up!!!!

First and foremost thanks to all who came and didnt complain about everything. I appreciate all my locals sticking up for me but let me explain why things were how they were....

1. the pre-reg list was short because initially only 8 signed up online anyway.

2. this was not a NT event so get over yourselves primadonnas( none of the open players complained to me and they are usually the first)

3. i believe everyone recieved all their player packs and awards

4. my disc prices for CFR were outstanding compared to DFW and all other surrounding areas besides Nac (they rock too).

5. my goal since mostly AMs play my tournament to make sure you guys are compensated pretty fat. players pack was $15 but im very certain you got way more than that.

6. as far as times, they are tenative. i havent played anywhere in the country where everything is on the money with time, even NT and majors but most of you haters wouldnt know anything about that because you havent gotten to that level yet.

7. the water was out and in copious amounts. your freaking welcome by the way. i know im a lazy person in all but i dont recall any of you guys out at the course when i was on saturday morning putting out water but i did notice noone had a problem drinking it.... weird

8. how many TDs do you guys know who go out of their way to purchase bottom stamped discs so there are sweet custom dyed discs to give away at the ring-of-fire. i have played alot of tournaments and i can only recall a few(less than 3)

9. as to the scores and list not being up to date. since you gripers admit to not having run a tournament you wont fully understand this, so let me try to explain. TDs load evrything onto excel worksheets and then copy and paste them to the PDGA tournament admin website(only a TD with the password can get to this). thats how we load pre-reg lists and what not. sounds very simple and it is. the Tyler 54 had an error which kept saying that everyone had the same PDGA number it would not allow me to load anything. after working with the PDGA webmaster for past couple of days we finally got it all worked out this evening when i got off work. i apologize to those that had patience and understand what i mean. for those who just got crap say..... i wish i could could speak freely on here but i dont think you can handle what i really feel. one day you will appreciate someone who TRIES to expand disc golf rather complain about what isnt done. theres only one perfect person in this world and i bet if he ran a disc golf tournament you would probably say something crappy about him too.

Hey, Chris. Glad to hear from you, and it's nice to see the scores posted. Sorry to hear about the glitches you encountered trying to load everything. It sounds like the prereg list issue and the score posting issues were out of your control. I bet if we'd known what was going on, there would have been less griping. Please don't let it get to you. Your TD experience wouldn't be complete without it.

So you shouldn't call out a surgeon on a botched surgery just because you aren't a surgeon yourself? What about criticizing politicians? Should we not do that then?

I understand and completely appreciate the time and effort that it takes to be a TD. You've got to call it like it is, though.

Right, because having to go through almost a decade of school before you can cut someone open and perform surgery is EXCATLY the same as running a disc golf tournament :rolleyes:

Just like having to be elected by the people of your city, county, state, or country and then having to make decisions that effect a budget/national deficit, or job growth, or foreign policy, or illegal immigration. Excatly the same as running a disc golf tournament :wall: man, I should just run down to the ER today and see if I can jump in on a couple GSWs.

You gotta call it like it is, right? Some people just want to complain for the sake of complaining, it must be cool to be able to nit-pick about every little thing in life. GROW UP

exactly.

1. tentative times all the way up to 10 minutes of tee off.
2. having divisions play a course they have no place playing (for time reasons)
3. having everyone with a 2 hr lunch and the women a maybe 30 minute lunch
4. no online updates before or after tournament
5. any question to the TD comes back with a condescending remark. Or and "I don't know"
6. And again, still no updates online, When there is that much time inbetween rounds, and its been 3 days after the whole thing, its not really any excuse other than pure laziness.

And no, I haven't ran a tournament. The saying fits, if you're not gonna do something right don't do it at all.

There were lots of people I had heard horror stories from before hand. which is why a lot more people went and played the Waco tournament. Its obviously not hating when you state ONLY the facts. Its not my fault the facts are negative.

1. just like the tentative times of every other tournament
2. all divisions play all courses, on the flyer. if you're scared of the dogwood course, stay home. Everyone finished both days with ample time to spare.
3. it's unfortunate the women didn't play fast enough, but if you want to finish you have to get everyone back out there (another reason for tentative times)
4. online updates have been explained, and there was an email address and a phone number to call. don't be lazy.
5. condescending remarks? awww, him got his feelins hurt. don't be a crybaby
6. again, online updates have been explained. in the day and age of computers. when has there EVER been 100% efficiency? when your have to rely on a machine, you have to expect a malfunction sometimes. don't be an impatient prick and don't call someone lazy when you don't have all the facts.

The saying also goes, if you're going to bitch about the FACTS, then MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ALL THE FACTS.:wall:

and if you aren't going to come back to the 54 because you don't think this one was run well, we don't want you to come back.

2. all divisions play all courses, on the flyer. if you're scared of the dogwood course, stay home. Everyone finished both days with ample time to spare.
3. it's unfortunate the women didn't play fast enough, but if you want to finish you have to get everyone back out there (another reason for tentative times)

Flyer said all women would play modified dogwood, but then it got changed to advanced women played long tees. You guys had rec men playing short tees on all courses, and advanced women, who are rated the same as rec men, playing long tees on all courses. It's not just unfortunate that we took longer to play. We got pretty frustrated out there. 20/20 hindsight and all. Maybe something to do differently next year.

4. online updates have been explained, and there was an email address and a phone number to call. don't be lazy.

I contacted Chris directly at one point and got no reply. That was when the tournament was removed from the schedule and no flyer was available. I found him on Facebook and sent a message, but never got a reply. And we can see he has an account here and posted about the tournament at one point, establishing this thread as a place to receive information. But our questions went unanswered. Communication could have been better.

FTR, I probably will play next year if I'm still playing tournaments, and if I still live in the area.

First and foremost thanks to all who came and didnt complain about everything. I appreciate all my locals sticking up for me but let me explain why things were how they were....

2. this was not a NT event so get over yourselves primadonnas( none of the open players complained to me and they are usually the first)

4. my disc prices for CFR were outstanding compared to DFW and all other surrounding areas besides Nac (they rock too).

5. my goal since mostly AMs play my tournament to make sure you guys are compensated pretty fat. players pack was $15 but im very certain you got way more than that.
6. as far as times, they are tenative. i havent played anywhere in the country where everything is on the money with time, even NT and majors but most of you haters wouldnt know anything about that because you havent gotten to that level yet.

7. the water was out and in copious amounts. your freaking welcome by the way. i know im a lazy person in all but i dont recall any of you guys out at the course when i was on saturday morning putting out water but i did notice noone had a problem drinking it.... weird

8. how many TDs do you guys know who go out of their way to purchase bottom stamped discs so there are sweet custom dyed discs to give away at the ring-of-fire. i have played alot of tournaments and i can only recall a few(less than 3)

9. as to the scores and list not being up to date. since you gripers admit to not having run a tournament you wont fully understand this, so let me try to explain. TDs load evrything onto excel worksheets and then copy and paste them to the PDGA tournament admin website(only a TD with the password can get to this). thats how we load pre-reg lists and what not. sounds very simple and it is. the Tyler 54 had an error which kept saying that everyone had the same PDGA number it would not allow me to load anything. after working with the PDGA webmaster for past couple of days we finally got it all worked out this evening when i got off work. i apologize to those that had patience and understand what i mean. for those who just got crap say..... i wish i could could speak freely on here but i dont think you can handle what i really feel. one day you will appreciate someone who TRIES to expand disc golf rather complain about what isnt done. theres only one perfect person in this world and i bet if he ran a disc golf tournament you would probably say something crappy about him too.

1. i was told the player's list was going to be updated Friday night of the tournament. for our local tournaments (Waco Annual Charity Open, Woodway Challenge, etc.) the TD signs everyone up online when they express interest in playing, even if they arent paying until the day of or using online registration so that everyone who is considering driving from out of town can have an idea of how large the field is.

2.is this an excuse? those 'primadonnas' you're talking about drove from out of town to play your tournament and gave $ to you and your charity.

3. player's packs were nice. i like the water bottle and flashlight and the shirts are cool too!

4. didnt buy any or check out prices, sorry.

5. again, i was happy with the player's pack.

6. you just got done saying your tournament attracts mostly am's and then you make fun of the 'haters' because they arent as good at disc golf as THE Chris Harris? "if you guys were all professionals and had played at NT and Major events, then you'd be ok with every round starting late." show some respect and you'll be respected back. even if not you'll still have your dignity.

7. Water was out on saturday, and in copious amounts. it was great. water bottles and big coolers. but there wasnt water out on sunday. this wasnt such a big deal but i had enough extra water for my card.

8. i didnt stick around for this. it had already been a couple hours since my round had ended and i (my girlfriend) was tired of waiting.

9. these things happen. in my opinion, it wouldnt have been such a big deal if the pre-reg list had been updated friday or even saturday. it would have shown that an effort had been made(im not saying you didnt make an effort, i dont know)-it makes the players feel like the TD cares about their experience. its one of the small things that TD's do to please the players, keep us coming back, and keep us saying good things about you, your club, your courses, and your tournament. word of mouth. after reading just a couple of the posts on here, you have to know there are more dissatisfied players out there that dont have a dgcr account, but have friends that they talk to about their experiences. good luck in amarillo.

Sorry I couldn't make it...but if you ever call my mom a rabid tick infested spider monkey loving bread eater again, I will...um...probably do nothing, but that would be rude...not that you did.

Me and some friends were playing Lindsay Park when the 54 was just finishing up. Though I did happen to notice that every bench had a Laminated Flyer beside it posting the information about the tournament. Had a good chuckle at the fact that I saw 3 in a row with Non-PDGA vs PDGA members talking **** to eachother.

The End

Camfry,

i would like to address you personally because i know your dad and younger brother, and have played golf with them several times. They will tell you i do not think i am better than anyone! my reference was to players stating rules about running tournaments and start times. i was describing my experiences in major tournaments not my level of play because if i was really "that good" i would have won my own tournament but i did not so i hope you understand that. besides they have rec and lower divisions even in A-tiers and NT events.

you also need to understand that comments made were directly in response to people who initiated comments on me. i apologize if you were accidentally offended for any reason. i appreciate your family and their support 100%.

i completely understand about the pre-reg list. i play several tournaments and understand how important that is. i unfortunetly had no control over this (my previous post explains). i know you dont know me but i think everyone i play with would say the same thing about my attitude. i only ran this tournament for the love of disc golf and the Rose City Disc Golf Club. i made no profit at all from this tournament as a matter of fact i spent around $400 of my own money to make it happen. it was small tournament with not a lot of sponsorship. it is was it is. im still glad it went on!

I hope everyone that reads this understands the points im making and knows that i 110% wish it had run smoother than it did. i wish i had all the support that DD, waco, and the DFW players had but i just didnt and it showed. i just hope that you guys come back next for the Tyler 54. i wont be in Tyler anymore as a matter of fact i wont be in this country most likely. im gonna continue on in my Army career and fortunetly for some of you, you will never see me again. I enjoyed all the players i got to know in the area and I will see you guys if and when i see you.

Camfry i hope this cleared the air a little bit.

PS- im going to Ft. Bliss, El Paso if anyone ever needs a place to crash just hit me up.