• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tyler State Park Redesigned?

I don't think the details are absolutely final yet. They were asking for input on course names, basket colors, etc. just a few days ago. I agree the old layout should be retired once the changes are final. That'll drop them right out of top course contention...I warned them :)

the debate is to make it a 36 hole behemoth or split it in 2.....no rush to pull it Off dgcr yet as its still in flux and no new permt holes have been set

in fact its just 30 holes with 3 raw holes with portable baskets in the tester stage so its not really close to being 36 holes at all

Here's what I found last Monday...
I'm not a Tyler local but played it this past Monday.

E1 is new and easy to find
E2 is the old (short) 17, hard to find from E1 but I knew the old layout
E3 - E7 old 3-7
E8 new but marked well
E9 -E17 is the same but one number off, old 8-16
E18 old 18

W1 old 1
W2 old 2
W3 old 19
W4 old 20
W5 old 21
W6 old 22 (tee still says 22) basket says 6
W7 never found it, called boulder hole
W8 old 23
W9 old 24
W10- W15 don't have baskets
W16 old 25
W17 old 26
W18 old 27

It should be noted that this project is not close to fruition and the 2 courses have not even been named nor have they decided to split it in 2 nor have the 9 holes actually been built lol

Actually, temporary signs are up and the baskets have been remembered by covering the old numbers. Just played yesterday, at least the East course.
I put a pic of the new layout up in the links/files section. So far all existing wooden sings, tee numbers,etc are still there.

That map is why I was asking... so I guess it'll just be super confusing until someone figures out what's going on. Got it :)

Either way about the course on the 'phantom' hole up the hill (tunnel shot out to the open and doglegs right then downhill), I lost a KC Roc in the thicket on the right. Think I played this after number 18 (up hill that ends near the restrooms). I'm not worried about getting it back. Just curious to how long it takes someone to find it.

You could still play the play the old layout. It seems the new lAyout is trying to not only growing the course but reduces some of the crisscrossing.

The current layout includes temp holes used in the Yetter A-tier. The East/West designation was also primarily for the benefit of the tournament. Any of the temp holes may get pulled out at any time as the club and the park work to figure out how and where the new holes will be permanently placed.

Here's what I found last Monday...
I'm not a Tyler local but played it this past Monday.

E1 is new and easy to find
E2 is the old (short) 17, hard to find from E1 but I knew the old layout
E3 - E7 old 3-7
E8 new but marked well
E9 -E17 is the same but one number off, old 8-16
E18 old 18

W1 old 1
W2 old 2
W3 old 19
W4 old 20
W5 old 21
W6 old 22 (tee still says 22) basket says 6
W7 never found it, called boulder hole
W8 old 23
W9 old 24
W10- W15 don't have baskets
W16 old 25
W17 old 26
W18 old 27

The new hole W7 is found after playing 22...once you finish the hole you start walking to down to your left once you hit the cement....you end up walking away from old 23. Walk down the road until you walk 3/4 of the way down...you will see a break in the woods on your right....once you enter there that is the short tee. If you continue down the road and go towards the bathrooms you see while walking from old 3 to old 4...you go behind the bathrooms and you will see a path...down the path you will find the long tee. The hole plays two ways....down to the left or a turnover to the right.....you must throw accurately and long....then the approach is to a very elevated basket on a treacherous "hill" green. Anything long and you're in the briers, anything right and you're in the briers, and anything short and left and you're back in the left side fairway.

I'm waiting until the new holes and everything else is figured out before I try to find/play them. I'm already tired of the new hole#/old# stuff from the changes at nocky and this might put me over the edge

Any word on when this will be finished? I want to go down there during my trip to PA in late November, but if it's a mess, I will wait.

Tyler State Park - Course Expansion

Currently, Tyler has 30 finished, playable holes. We are currently waiting for nine new baskets - they should be in the ground by Jan 2015. At that time we'll no longer have the need for any target poles out on the course. Expanding to 36 holes is all but inevitable. The last 6 holes are in the design phase. The names of the courses and the hole designations are to be determined in the next couple months though we have been calling the courses "east" and "west" for the time being. Those are names I will recommend to the club as being the permanent ones. We will ultimately have 2 18-hole courses with the "west" course holes having a secondary designation of 19-36 until the locals become familiar with the 2 layouts. After that, I hope to retire the 19 - 36 designations. Some time in the next 2 years, we should have all 36 holes online and each will have a brand new Mach V basket.

I agree with a previous poster that any change to Tyler here at DGCR wait until our changes are complete. At that time we can provide definitive names of our courses with descriptive info for all 36 holes.

we appreciate everyone's patience and understanding while we make a great course even better. Thanks.

Bob Shellenberger - President - BCDGA

Fresh news today! The west layout has been approved and we have begun construction. As Bob says in the FB announcement, we hope to have it 100% by summer. We will need a lot of help to get it in sooner and we also need more funds for baskets, concrete...ect. Please pay attention to our FB page for volunteer days if you would like to lend a hand! At the end of this we will have two complete 18 hole courses that will challenge the best golfers.

Please be patient, good things come to those who wait!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/157642980959075/

I only played Tyler once but I completely agree that splitting it up in to two courses and adding nine is the way to go. I haven't played many 27 hole courses but the ones I have played often give you the feel that it runs on too long, mostly due to a lack of diversity in the terrain and hole types. I'm not saying Tyler has all of this but most of the course has the same type of atmosphere so after 36 holes you get that feeling.

As two seperate courses you can play one, take a break and come back and see it as a completely different course. I think just the mental aspect of that will make it an even better experience overall than it already is, and it's already great.

I'd also add that permanent long baskets on some of those long holes would of also made my experience much better, having to play a 200' hole then walk the other 500' of it is a huge part of the little negative feedback I had for the course.

I only played Tyler once but I completely agree that splitting it up in to two courses and adding nine is the way to go. I haven't played many 27 hole courses but the ones I have played often give you the feel that it runs on too long, mostly due to a lack of diversity in the terrain and hole types. I'm not saying Tyler has all of this but most of the course has the same type of atmosphere so after 36 holes you get that feeling.

As two seperate courses you can play one, take a break and come back and see it as a completely different course. I think just the mental aspect of that will make it an even better experience overall than it already is, and it's already great.

I'd also add that permanent long baskets on some of those long holes would of also made my experience much better, having to play a 200' hole then walk the other 500' of it is a huge part of the little negative feedback I had for the course.

If we can continue to get funding for extra baskets we have discussed leaving some c pins in all the time, especially on the par fives and some select par fours. The funds aren't rolling in fast but we are working hard trying to get some local businesses to chip in. Anyone here that would like to chip in please PM Bob Shellenburger either here or on FB for details. We are a not for profit club and any donations are certainly appreciated and praised. Happy New Year!

Markus---Lead grunt...LOL!!!!

I also might add that we move the baskets around for certain events. I am going to suggest on our next meeting to come up with a basket schedule for the season so peeps can plan on when to come to their liking. We can't please all all the time but we just try to keep it balanced for most. Please be patient, we listen, and when funding is there we will have more baskets to install. I can tell you that prior to and after the Eric C. Yetter tournament(Pro only) that the whole course will be in all C locations(September). Also we might have all in C in the spring for another prime event.

I also might add that we move the baskets around for certain events. I am going to suggest on our next meeting to come up with a basket schedule for the season so peeps can plan on when to come to their liking. We can't please all all the time but we just try to keep it balanced for most. Please be patient, we listen, and when funding is there we will have more baskets to install. I can tell you that prior to and after the Eric C. Yetter tournament(Pro only) that the whole course will be in all C locations(September). Also we might have all in C in the spring for another prime event.

That would be great. It seems like every time I go up there all the baskets are on A, and it's a big disappointment.