• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tyler State Park Redesigned?

Has all of the media and everything else related to Tyler State Park and its old 27-hole designation been discarded here? Our desire, which might not matter to anyone here, was to keep our course as a single 36-hole entity which would have preserved the media, the reviews etc. The (many) pictures that I had provided to Tim a couple years ago were/are still relevant to the course. Only a handful were re-numbered as part of our expansion. Is it too late to revert back and have Tyler be a single course?

Bob S - President BCDGA

At least on the PDGA course directory, you need to break it into two 18-hole layouts since I assume players will be playing 18-hole rounds in events? On DGCR, I would think those who enter personal scores would also want to enter 18-hole rounds rather than 36?

Pretty much what Cgkdisc said. The old Tyler page is here:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=29

Making it one 36 hole course doesn't make a lot of sense, especially since you actually call one half of it East and one half West. For scoring purposes it makes a lot more sense too. It would have been marked as "redesigned" anyway in which case, all the review would have been hidden until the people updated them.

Shouldn't the club/park designing and maintaining the course have the final say on how the course is laid out and holes are designated? Tyler is a 36 hole course. Bob being the club president would be the person to take your info from regarding the details on this, not posts by random people on here, some of which aren't even club members/course regulars. Aside from this, when we play league and certain tournaments at Tyler, the course isn't necessarily played 1-18 or 19-36, but broken up into different arrangements. Another issue presented by this, is for those who use the scorebook on here, this split designation removes the possibility of logging our rounds when the course is in these configurations.

From what you're saying, no matter how the course is represented on the site, recording scores for those tournaments and leagues that use random hole/tee arrangements would be impossible on the site. Every round would be considered "incomplete" unless you played all 36 holes. Unless you're expecting everyone to play a 36 hole round each time they go out?

If the rating is a concern, a new page would still have to be created or at the very least a redesign date would be entered so you'd be starting with a clean slate with reviews regardless.

Also, your own website breaks the course up into east/west:

http://www.bcdga.com/

Last edited:
redesign date sure but please put back 1994, when tyler became a course. Give Tyler the credit it deserves and the ranking it has already earned.

I played 36 holes at Tyler today. I recently saw a post on the BCDGA Facebook page about tree removal due to the emerald ash borer. The work is set to start next week. All the trees are marked with yellow spray paint.

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/news/...cle_7afc8542-cdf1-11e6-936a-534ed1da1bfb.html

It seems in some spots that two out of every three trees will be taken out. I can't even get my head around how much work this is going to be and also how profoundly this is going to change the courses at Tyler. Anyone out there have something similar happen at a course or park near them?

I played 36 holes at Tyler today. I recently saw a post on the BCDGA Facebook page about tree removal due to the emerald ash borer. The work is set to start next week. All the trees are marked with yellow spray paint.

http://www.buckslocalnews.com/news/...cle_7afc8542-cdf1-11e6-936a-534ed1da1bfb.html

It seems in some spots that two out of every three trees will be taken out. I can't even get my head around how much work this is going to be and also how profoundly this is going to change the courses at Tyler. Anyone out there have something similar happen at a course or park near them?

Yup....lower Michigan courses were devastated by the loss of Ash trees in the last decade. Many courses were irreversibly changed by the loss of trees. Of course, not only disc golf courses were impacted. Parks, churches, landscaping, local green-spaces, cemeteries.....really one of the saddest natural disasters I have seen.
Lots of work by clubs and parks have made a big difference in planting and creating new course challenges to replace the trees.

Damn... Coyote Trace in KY was a brand new course on pace to be in top 10, but the course was destroyed and RIP'd by those ash borers about a year or so ago.

Why would you remove them. Leave them be. The east side is fine and the arborists are still working on the west. The club has plans to fully recover the course.

Why would you remove them. Leave them be. The east side is fine and the arborists are still working on the west. The club has plans to fully recover the course.

Yes. The west course is unplayable only while the tree removal is happening. The course will be restored (with tweaks to account for the missing trees) when they're done. Their annual A-tier is scheduled for the end of July and it is going to utilize all 36 holes.

Listing it as temporarily unplayable, as it is right now, is all that should be done.

Thanks for the info guys. It sounded like a lot of holes would be lost and things would go back to an 18 hole layout which is why I was asking.

The A-Tier was cancelled by the TD staff. The west course is currently unplayable, and likely will never exist again in the same form. The east course is getting better daily, but did receive some damage on holes 1-3 and hole 18

Allow me to squash this. I am a cabinet member on Tyler's club. My info is credible.

*(SOUTHEAST PA)*
So it's been a few years since Tyler State Park West in Newtown, PA has been mostly finalized. The Feb. 2019 update on the DGCR course description is still there. Seems to me that this is old news as the course has really changed for the better since then. Is this ever going to be updated? One reason I ask is this is one of the better courses in the area these days and the current info on the site/app should reflect that.

*(SOUTHEAST PA)*
So it's been a few years since Tyler State Park West in Newtown, PA has been mostly finalized. The Feb. 2019 update on the DGCR course description is still there. Seems to me that this is old news as the course has really changed for the better since then. Is this ever going to be updated? One reason I ask is this is one of the better courses in the area these days and the current info on the site/app should reflect that.

You can update it whenever you'd like.

You can update it whenever you'd like.
Ahhhh, I see. I did not know that. I had always assumed it was only open for certain people to do that.
I was only wondering since this course (while not quite up to the stature of the East course) has immensely improved since the Emerald Ash Borer mess and the redo. Thanks!

Ahhhh, I see. I did not know that. I had always assumed it was only open for certain people to do that.
I was only wondering since this course (while not quite up to the stature of the East course) has immensely improved since the Emerald Ash Borer mess and the redo. Thanks!

That's great to hear. Planning on swinging through this fall for the first time.

That's great to hear. Planning on swinging through this fall for the first time.

I have to admit I am impartial to the West for sentimental reasons. Several holes are originals left over from when Tyler was just one 18-hole course. Hole #2 (20) was one of these. This was where I got my one and only ace some 20 or so years ago.

Latest posts