• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Type of shot and disc used for it.

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I thought I'd start a thread and list a few shots I throw on the course and what plastic I use and how I try to solve that particular shot problem. Please add to it or repeat my selection and tell me how you solved the hole. I'm constantly looked at and trying new discs and trying to figure out a better disc to do what I need on a certain hole.

1. Wide open shot for distance. For this shot I'll usually pull out my beat in Avenger because I can hyzer flip it for the most distance. I don't have a great arm and have recently starting throwing a Tee Bird also because I'm getting it pretty far out there too.

2. Straight shots / Tunnel shot. I'm in NC and we've got a ton of wooded courses so control is a big part of the game. I used my Stalker a lot because I can throw it straighter than any disc I have and it doesn't fade too much at the end. If I really snap it off I can get it to hardly fade at all.

3. Holes that turn right. I'm a RHBH thrower and do struggle with those right turning holes. I've been working a lot on developing a forehand shot but it's still hit or miss. My next best try at it is to throw an anyzer shot. For that I'll use my Avenger SS. It I throw in on an anyzer it turns over very quickly. If I hyzer flip it with some snap on it'll flip up straight and finish softly right but not much. I don't really have a great long turnover anyzer disc hence why I'm working hard on a forehand shot. Any help on this type of shot would be great. It costs me more than a few strokes every game I play.

4. Long hyzer shot. I've been using my Avenger or Surge but when they turn left they quickly look for the ground. If I need one to turn left and stay in the air a while longer I've started using a Sidewinder or something a little understable. It fights to turnover but can't since I've thrown it on a hyzer angle so it ends up staying in the air longer. For those shots that turn left and need to keep on getting it.

5. Short hyzer shot - Avenger all day or my stalker as I'm the most familiar with how much they naturally turn left and I can get the most control out of them.

5. Shot to medium upshots. If I'm 50-150 feet out I'll throw my Buzzz from a standstill. I've gotten great control with that thing. If I'm worrying about it rolling or I need something to drop and not move I'll throw my gateway magic or voodoo putter. My magic goes a bit right and my voodoo goes a bit left.

6. Putting inside the circle - I'll push putt with my gateway magic.

7. Long Putts - I'll still use my Magic but I'll spin putt it. If I need to get around some trees or something I'll use the voodoo because it's got a harder left fade.

I use multiple versions of each mold I carry and use them at a multitude of ranges.
1. Wide open shot for distance. Beat ESP Force or Beat P PD, depends on wind and fairway
2. Straight shots / Tunnel shot.Beat P PD/Cyclone/Buzzz/Yeti
3. Holes that turn right. S TD/PD/Buzzz/Zephyr
4. Long hyzer shot. Force/PD/Predator
5. Short hyzer shot - Predator/Cyclone/Buzzz/Yeti
6. Short to medium upshots. If I'm 50-150 feet out I'll throw my Yeti/Zephyr/Sonic
7. Putting inside the circle - pitch putt Yeti
8. Long Putts - jump putt Yeti/ floaty run with Sonic

Wide open distance: Star Boss
Tunnel: CFR Teerex X, CFR glow FL, Eagle X, Z Buzzz
Turns right (flick): New Champ Boss, Nuke OS, Champ Firebird, Hornet, Zone
Long Hyzer: New Champ Boss, Nuke OS, any firebird
Short hyzer: star Firebird, Hornet, Zone, Champ Rhyno
upshots: Z Buzzz, Zone, Classic Roc
Putting in the circle: Champ Rhyno
Lung putts: still my Champ Rhyno, but jumpers with a challenger

For newer players trying to learn a forehand I recommend a sidewinder, flash, or surge. The sidewinder is a great disc for learning a forehand because it forces you to throw your shot on more of a hyzer. This makes you learn a slightly uncomfortable hand and arm position, but in the long run, when your release is smooth and clean, it is easier to make the adjustment to a flash or surge and throw them flat.

Player power and form makes at least as much of a difference to the flight path as does disc selection and disc wear. The results are wildly different between each additional 100' of distance. Some discs need a lot of power to become controllable and some get uselessly flippy and unpredictable at higher power. I recommend the Leopard in Star or Champ over Sidewinders. And i realize that there are different Sidewinders out there. Aside from oddities all old ones are really really poor at any power and recently they got less squirrely and i've heard of but not encountered of clear CFR type Sidewinders from this year that are way more HSS than earlier winders. The latter kind could be good discs. For NC tunnels putters and mids are great for easier lower powered thus more controlled throws than the Stalker. Which will exhibit fade thrown higher. More so than straight driving putters and mids. And to get any kind of distance out of them power is a great thing to have but a clean form and release are needed too. For controlled anny angles in minute variations it is way easier to throw flat with the disc oriented anny in the grip. Only steeper annies benefit from a high to low arm movement plane.

I don't know how other than FLX Avengers fly but that sucker is useless to anyone but the shortest throws where a mid or even a putter would be better is you have enough power. I don't recommend the ASS to anyone else but those wanting an easy to roll disc.

Here's mine just for kicks. The orders are farthest to shortest pretty much.

1. Wide open shot for distance - Wraith, Surge
2. Straight shots / Tunnel shot - River, Leopard, Buzzz
3. Holes that turn right - River, Sidewinder, Leopard, Buzzz
4. Long hyzer shot. Destroyer, Wraith, Surge
5. Short hyzer shot - Buzzz, Challenger
6. Short to medium upshots - Buzzz, Challenger (working in a Pure)
7. Putting inside the circle - max weight Challeger
8. Long Putts - max weight or 150 class Challenger

1. Wide open shot for distance - Pro Destroyer / e* Destroyer
2. Straight shots / Tunnel shot - pPD,Axis
3. Holes that turn right - Destroyer (FH), sPD (FH or BH), pPd, Axis, Anode
4. Long hyzer shot. Destroyer, sPD
5. Short hyzer shot - Axis, Vector,Anode
6. Short to medium upshots - Wizard, Anode
7. Putting inside the circle - Newish heavy Wizard
8. Long Putts - Beat up heavy Wizard

1. Wide open shot for distance - Opto Flow
2. Straight shots / Tunnel shot - Opto Saint, DX Gazelle, *RR, Roc, Ti Wasp, XD
3. Holes that turn right - same as straight/tunnel shots
4. Long hyzer shot. Z Tracker, Z Predator
5. Short hyzer shot - Z Hornet, Roc, Ti Wasp
6. Short to medium upshots - XD, Aviar
7. Putting inside the circle - Aviar
8. Long Putts - Aviar

Noodle arm / small bag version:

1. Wide open shot for distance: Mamba (hyzer flip) or Blizzard Krait (flex)
2. Straight shots / tunnel shot: Comet, Diamond, or seasoned DX Teebird
3. Holes that turn right: Comet, Diamond (hyzer flip or roller), Mamba (hyzer flip), or Teebird (forehand)
4. Long hyzer shot: Fresh DX Teebird, Blizzard Krait, Mamba on a hyzer
5. Short hyzer shot: Roc, Banshee
6. Short to medium upshots: Anode, Rhyno (BH and FH for both)
7. Putting inside the circle: Anode
8. Long Putts: Anode

To the OP: You mentioned defaulting to a Buzzz standstill inside 150'. For me, learning to use putters at this distance improved all parts of my game.

So much more goes into the selection of a disc than just the shot to shape - wind conditions, ceiling height, OB considerations...

1. Wide open shot for distance.
blizzard DD2, or worn pPD depending on what the wind is like.
2. Straight shots / Tunnel shot.
beat pPD, cFD, or Comet
3. Holes that turn right.
beat pPD, beat sFD, or comet, or sidearm a cPD or predator or champ gator.
4. Long hyzer shot.
sPD, cPD, or z predator. same for long sidearms.
5. Short hyzer shot
z predator, kc pro roc, z comet, judge
5. Shot to medium upshots.
kc pro roc, champ gator, z or x comet, judge
6. Putting inside the circle
judge
7. Long Putts
judge

1. Wide open shot for distance - Katana, Wraith
2. Straight shots / Tunnel shot - Valkyrie, Roadrunner, FD, Fuse, Wizard
3. Holes that turn right - Wraith, Firebird, Buzzz, Wizard (FH) Katana, Valkyrie, RR, FD, Fuse, Wizard (BH)
4. Long hyzer shot. Wraith, Firebird, FD
5. Short hyzer shot - Firebird, Buzzz, Wizard
6. Short to medium upshots - Firebird, Buzzz, Wizard
7. Putting inside the circle - newer Wizard
8. Long Putts - worn Wizard

1. Wide open shot for distance - Wraith, Destroyer, PD
2. Straight shots / Tunnel Shots - Super Stingray, Leopard
3. Holes that turn right - Wraith, Destroyer, Teebird (FH) TD2, Leopard, Panther (BH)
4. Long hyzer shot. Opto Villain, Destroyer
5. Short hyzer shot - San Marino Star Roc
6. Short to medium upshots - Star Gator, Super Stingray, Champ Aviar W/bead
7. Putting inside the circle - Champ Aviar
8. Long Putts - Champ Aviar

Wide open distance: sPD
Tunnel: star TL for low ceilings, roc for narrow hallways
Turns right: Star TL, roc
Long Hyzer: sPD for sharp turns, teebird for wider sweeps
Short hyzer: teebird, roc
upshots: roc, aviar P&A depending on distance
Putting in the circle: aviar P&A
Lung putts: aviar P&A

Funny... I use my teebird more than anything but my putter, but it didn't get mentioned as much here. I think the majority of drives I throw are "more or less straight, some fading at the end" but that wasn't one of the categories.

Wide open distance: beat z nuke
Str8/tunnel: x avenger, beat esp force
Turns right: meteor, stratus, beat x avenger
Long hyzer: z force, new nuke
Short hyzer: flx buzz
Upshots: apx, buzz, meteor
Putts: apx
Long putts: apx

bents said:
Wide open distance: sPD
Tunnel: star TL for low ceilings, roc for narrow hallways
Turns right: Star TL, roc
Long Hyzer: sPD for sharp turns, teebird for wider sweeps
Short hyzer: teebird, roc
upshots: roc, aviar P&A depending on distance
Putting in the circle: aviar P&A
Lung putts: aviar P&A

Funny... I use my teebird more than anything but my putter, but it didn't get mentioned as much here. I think the majority of drives I throw are "more or less straight, some fading at the end" but that wasn't one of the categories.

Maybe it should be because it is an integral part of my game and the local courses have lots of tight spaces and it is the easiest way of visualizing where the disc is in which part of the flight. Shot planning wise it is the easiest throw but execution wise not as easy as hyzers with beefy discs.

Wide open distance: Pro Destroyer/Dx Beast/DX Archangle 150
Tunnel: Star TL/Champion Leo
Turns right: Archangel/Leo/Stratus
Long Hyzer: Avenger
Short hyzer: Tracker/Teebird/Sentinel
upshots: Comet/Sent/Dart
Putting in the circle: Soft Magnet
Long putts: Ion

Wide open distance: Glow Champion Katana
Tunnel: Buzzz
Turns right: Z Glide
Long hyzer: Roc3, Squall, Cyclone, Rival