• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Type plastic you throw

Flizbee

Is it just my OCD, or is there something to me wanting to unify my plastic. How much do you attempt to acquire the same type plastic for the sake of the feel, and consistent release, etc. Just wondering...

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Not at all. My bag has 300, pro D, kc pro, proline, 400, opto, star, champion, diamond, color glow champion, c-line, and s-line currently

Not at all. If you go through my bag you'll find and interesting assortment of plastic. The assortment will change with the seasons, but it will always be an assortment.

Not at all. My bag has 300, pro D, kc pro, proline, 400, opto, star, champion, diamond, color glow champion, c-line, and s-line currently
Thanks tylerc, I guess my muscle memory needs to adapt to the differences -- May even cause another brain cell connection. BTW, are you in Charlotte? (49ers logo)

Is it just my OCD, or is there something to me wanting to unify my plastic. How much do you attempt to acquire the same type plastic for the sake of the feel, and consistent release, etc. Just wondering...

I use different types of plastic for different weather conditions mostly.

No, I use many. I tried a all Champion/Opto style bag a while ago, but many disc are better in other plastics.

I like Stags a lot for example, but mostly the TP ones. Some of the VIP fly a different line.

Or some molds like the Firebird, I like multiple plastics. Flat Champ for FH and flex shots and for BH I like Star sometimes even G*.

Just find what you like and go for it. If all one plastic type works for you do it, I think there are better options for myself, but people succeed doing weirder things than that.

It's mold-dependent for me, now that I think about it. There are very few molds where I don't prefer one plastic over another, but which plastic that is, is not consistent through my bag. I have a healthy mix of champ/star like plastics.

I like Star for all drivers (Destroyers, Firebirds, and OLFs) and and KC Pro or equivalent type baseline for all my mids and putters (KC Rocs, BT Hard Harps, stiff Gateway blend Wizards).

Two exceptions:

I like stiff Champ Roadrunners -- I think they deform less on impact and absorb less energy for rolling and they don't wear in as fast from all the beating rollers put on discs.

I carry a Champ Rancho Roc as my most OS Roc -- they're beefy and they last forever.

I like premium plastics, especially for mids and higher. Z or champion was always my favorite, but good Star/ESP has grown on me. And like others have said, there are some molds which I prefer in certain plastics (Star Teebird, Star Beast, Champ Firebird, ESP Surge) while I'll throw others in anything (e.g. Buzzz, Comet, Zone).

Thanks tylerc, I guess my muscle memory needs to adapt to the differences -- May even cause another brain cell connection. BTW, are you in Charlotte? (49ers logo)

I do prefer the more baseline feel of the pro D and kc but drivers don't last long like that.. As long as I have grip and moderate stiffness I am fine. Once your muscle memory is down and a constant the only plastic issue is the firmness of the disc. Too soft and you cant transfer much energy into it.

Yes I am at UNCC currently studying Physics

Mids are all in hard premium as I want them to retain their flight characteristics. I also don't throw them as hard as fairway and distance. For those I like something grippier. That's for my go to though, because I'll still throw in a hard premium plastic to get different flight characteristics from the same mold.

I have multiple plastics. Some Pro or millennium standard. Mostly Star, cycling duties (main plastic type) Z and Champ (C line) for discs that I need to stay stable longer and massive amounts of baseline in my mids and putters. Play with what you like but only using one type of plastic prevents you from utilizing the benefits of having multiple plastics.

I don't get a very good grip on champ/star type plastics. All of my slow discs are baseline, fairway and understable/stable distance are pro, and overstable distance are champ/star.

I'd throw everything in baseline if the faster discs didn't get chewed up so quickly.

I think my hand prefers the feel of G* plastic, and the only evidence I have of that is when I grab my Thunderbird - it just feels perfect.
But I have a mix of everything, too.

Champion Orc and Roadrunner
Star Thunderbird (Pre-Jerm)
Opto Saint Pro
Tournament Seer and Warship
DX McPro Aviar
Z Avenger
etc.

Amazing how this place makes me think about stuff like this. Just never really thought about it much until y'all made me. :thumbup:

With exception to my rocs and wedges. No.
I carry different plastics of a lot of my more used molds because of the flight differences I can get from them.
The other two are both 161, 162 and 175, 180 weight.

My plastic choice is all the same, firm. G9i, old Z (Glo Z and CryZtal), old DX, KC Pro, old S(tar)-Line, firm Champ.

There is some Merritt in my opinion to consistency of feel however I think it's more of a mental confidence booster than anything else. Except for putters I throw nothing but champion plastic in the woods and throw nothing but star plastic in the rain. It's something that works for me and probably seems silly to others.

I have a weird setup: midgrade for non OS putters and mids, except my Stego (Amber Stegos would be awesome) and Z Comet, my drivers are all Star/Champ with Champ having the majority, though I would like to replace my light Champ Leo with a Pro Leo. I tried to putt with Champ or GStar for a little while, but I found that midgrade or baseline putters work better.