• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ultimate

I love ultimate, and I played it long before DG, but never as passionately. It's a fun game and I love the adrenaline, but the fact that it I throw a great shot to the end zone and the gets dropped always gets me.

Baskets drop far fewer discs than most humans.

Thanks for the info everyone. I am hooked on throwing discs and it just looks like another fun avenue to get out and be throwing/exercising and having fun.

As for the forehands I have been watching some vids and the pros are pretty sweet. It seems like my style of forehand doesn't transition to a regular disc real well. Ill see if the ultimate disc can take it without flipping

Ultimate is pretty awesome. OP, if you don't play at too high a level, you will probably amaze them with how far you can throw. Similarly, if you don't throw a TON of forehand playing golf, you will be amazed with how good they are are throwing forehand flicks.

thats how i learned to flick. i have this swing putter flick that im still yet to see anyone that hasnt played ultimate use on the course. its a get out of trouble shot and it is awesome and im glad to have it in my shot selection. im also the only one i know that can cleanly flick a neutral putter. id chalk it up to ultimate teaching me

Here's some tips:

1. Throw flicks
2. Ask about the force side on defense and stall counts
3. Run...the whole time
4. Heckle your opponents and teammates without mercy
5. Gratuitously dive whenever possible

I picked up both ultimate and DG around the same time, summer '06 I believe. We would play one or the other a couple days a week after XC practice. I was atrocious at both, so much so that I decided I would learn to throw a frisbee lefty just for kicks. It's stuck ever since.
Like others have said, being able to throw a smooth flick is a big plus since it takes less of your body to throw it. For backhands, again, smooth is key. Trying to snap the disc like a DG driver will barrel roll the ultimate disc right out of your hand.

Ultimate is awesome. Due to my work schedule i have a hard time getting into my groups games, but its great - the fun preciseness of a perfect throw and positioning like football, the pace of basketball/hockey, and of course the flinging of a disc :) But be warned - it can be EXHAUSTING - your longest round on the most mountainous course wont make you as tired as a game of Ultimate. Its just as fun as dg though, just in a different way.

Just looking for any feedback around the game or experiences to be good fast and not mess up the dg game.

I've played ultimate for 19 years and disc golf for 3. Ultimate discs are extremely understable. As you start to put more power into your throws, you need to put lots of hyzer on all of your throws. The understability of the disc makes it so when you release the disc, it'll flatten out. The more power on your throw, the more hyzer you need.

Also, to get better control on your backhands, hold the disc further from your chest than you would a disc golf drive. Have fun!

We invented ultimate independently in the 1980s (but, of course, with another name we bestowed upon it). Like others with frisbee golf at selected targets.

We played a lot for a while, and it was a blast. We'd find odd fields with trees and other obstacles to cut around, or use a baseball outfield for a strange curved field.

We also played with whatever numbers we could get. 3-on-3 was a full-time sprint. 2-on-2 was absolute murder, especially if your #**%# teammate caught a long bomb, short of the goal line, and you had to run down to join him.

I'd love to do it again, and think I could for 13 seconds.

Here's some tips:

1. Throw flicks
3. Run...the whole time

Number 4 and 5 are the main reasons I play. The disc throw differently but once you get the hang of it it's accurate, can fly and bend.

Ultimate is lots of fun.

I played Intramural leagues in College

Get ready to run.

A lot.

Learn to Flick and throw Hammers accurately.

It will help immensely.

And yes, dive whenever possible.

Here's some tips:

1. Throw flicks
3. Run...the whole time

Number 4 and 5 are the main reasons I play. The disc throw differently but once you get the hang of it it's accurate, can fly and bend.
Ultimate is lots of fun.

Also Read these:
http://tronic.tumblr.com/post/9317312600/how-to-play-ultimate-frisbee-the-complete-set
http://www.usaultimate.org/
http://www.whatisultimate.com/what/what_home_en.html

Seems like if you tackled the guy with the disc he couldnt throw it. Just sayin. I played more football than soccer growing up. Still looks fun though.

Learn what 'the greatest' is and then find all possible opportunities to complete 'the greatest'.

Its a great way to stay in shape and still do something disc related.

But with the newer developement in strategy, the game is much much more a runners and much less a throwers game than it was 20 years ago. I liked it way more when the good throwers were king :D

Lots of us came from the ulty world into disc golf (especially as we age). I loved playing competitive club ultimate but there came a time when training for the season became a hassle since the commitment necessary to win became all consuming.

There are plenty of ultimate hall of famers who love disc golf. My buddy Cribber (Dennis Warsen) is one. Mike O'dowd lives up in Humboldt and plays the curtain regularly. Safdie coaches the Dogfish (SF pro team) and Chris Sherwood is their GM. Both play golden gate park regularly...

Played some Guts, and alot of Freestyle, but never tried Ultimate though.

In last night's pickup game a guy went up for a defensive play, heard loud footsteps behind him and decided to spike it down instead of trying for the catch. Unfortunately our only woman player got the spiked disc full on the bridge of her nose. She sat out one point, until the blood slowed to a trickle, then subbed right back. She's a badazz.

I played Ultimate long before I picked up disc golf. I could throw that disc 80 yards on a good day, and I can still run with the best of them.

That said, the throwing style between the two are worlds apart. Probably why I haven't done good in DG with my BH, i still keep trying to throw 'em like an ultimate disc.