• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ultra light discs, what are they good for?

Thumbers. Or when your tired and want to play 54 holes in a day possibly... Dunno?

Any Chavez victims other then me want to testify that just about everything rolls there?
I just played there a couple weeks ago. Had rollaways on 3 of the 1st 4 holes. All my drives were parked, momentarily. On #2 I had to go all the way to the street! I don't know why I keep going back.

I just played there a couple weeks ago. Had rollaways on 3 of the 1st 4 holes. All my drives were parked, momentarily. On #2 I had to go all the way to the street! I don't know why I keep going back.

Ha! It's the challenge that brings us back. My last time there I parked 2 (in the far position) in practice, then in both of the following two rounds (beat to hell Star TL). It was the best day of my disc golfing life... or did I just dream it?

LOL

Seriously though, I'm thinking light as a feather is the only absolute prevention of rolling.

Last edited:
I found an unmarked and pretty new 138g blizzard destroyer that worked decent when I was frozen against a tree or other obstacle and could only move freely from the wrist down. That situation doesn't happen much, so I don't bag it for usual rounds. Anything more than maybe 30% power and it just wants to barrel roll and burn, thing is wicked flippy. My 3 yr old boy can throw the bejeezus out of it, though. I do have a 158g blizzard boss that is bagged and gets a fair bit of action, especially in a tailwind.

Last edited:
The early run blizzards with the bubbles in the flight plate were pretty true to the numbers, if not a tick overstable. I picked up a handful of the Wraiths and I bag two. The beat/neutral is a nice uphill disc and the stable one falls about 40' short of a full weight Wraith of the same stability... a nice tweener (long distance/fairway) without having to add a new mold to the bag. For being under 150g, it holds up to wind suprisingly well. I've tried a couple of newer runs and they are flippy right out of the box.

How Innova screws up a good thing on a regular basis amazes me.

True story: Matt Boals and I were on our way to Bowling Green for the Am Nationals last year and we stopped to play Howie Baird's sweet little course, Holler in the Hills. (A freaking, awesome, epic course in every sense of the words. Howie has outdone himself creating this test of your disc golf and mountaineering skills. And he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.) Anyway, I am beating Matt (the usual condition) through hole 12. At 13, a sweeping Anny along side a very steep slope to the right off the tee, my drive goes fairly long but WAAAYYYYY off to the right and down the hill. I'm deep in the fashizzle and looking at a 100 ft+, and about 50ft+ uphill shot at the basket to try and save par. Matt puts his drive reasonably down the middle of the fairway and has an easy approach shot for an easy par, maybe deuce. I take out my 135 gr. DX Skeeter. A soft, gummy and great disc for new players, that I keep in my bag for any newbies/kids that I run into that may need a disc. With a simple, easy forearm/wrist flick, it launches on a perfect, beautiful shallow sweeping Hyzer going up the hill and.... into the basket for an incredible birdie!! (Matt was sooo pissed that he gacked his approach shot and was only able to pull a par from the hole, losing another stroke in the process... :D From where I was and the line offered to me, there was no way I make that with a conventional weight disc and a full arm swing shot. :thmbup:

I have a 112g Wizard that I call a cheater Wizard. It's almost laughable how easy it is to throw. Very effortless. If it's a calm day it's super fun.

I have a 112g Wizard that I call a cheater Wizard. It's almost laughable how easy it is to throw. Very effortless. If it's a calm day it's super fun.

I've got one as well, i think a 114. Picked it up from marshall street for 4 bucks. Flooooooaaaaaattttyyy!

That's awesome and if you look at the map of Chavez Ridge, holes 4-8 all slope very steep on the left side and when skipping/rolling off the ledge, it's not uncommon to completely lose your disc (as in give up looking) despite very sparce underbrush. Sort of the Bermuda Triangle of DG courses. From roll off point, imagine a 90 degree wedge search area with the center being 300' straight downhill... a good 2-3 acre search area (front 9 anyway).

Next time out, I'm bringing the 109 Roc, a 150 Dragon, and a 130ish Shark. Should be interesting.

Being here in Gateway land, I have noticed a TON of people messing around with the ULW (ultra-lightweight) putters in the last year (everyone that entered in the St. Louis Open last year got a Schlafly Beer stamped ULW Wizard in their player's pack). The majority of them are right around 110g or so. I haven't seen them used on the course as much as I have seen them being used for playing catch/warming up before league rounds, but they do get used in actual play as well. Once you get the hang of them, they are 100% addictive fun! I agree that the wind can be an issue, but honestly, once you figure them out the wind is doable too...the wind can actually help shape the shot you are trying to make. As far as using them on the course goes, I use them for a variety of touch shots including stall hyzer shots (they can actually come backwards regardless of the wind), drifter anhyzers (they are capable of some massive turn on short distance shots) and the occasional windless 100' downhill upshot. They aren't for everyone, but if you like the element of finesse you owe it to yourself to try one out!

Oh, and YES, lighter discs do resist rolling better than their heavier counterparts...

Last edited:
I found a 126g DX Firebird early in the year, with no markings. For the life of me, I can't do anything with it. I had never seen a disc that light before, and after trying to throw it, I found out why. Even powered down, I couldn't get two shots to do the same thing. It's now in the kids' bag.

I took my 109g Roc out with a few other lightweight/understables (XD, Wolf, Classic Roc) that I am used to for about an hour straight, starting with a 100' target then stretched it out to 250' and found no room for form error (with the 109g Roc) as the distances increased.

Perhaps I even accidentally discovered a good form exercise?

my 11 yr old daughter doubled her distance with a 143 sidewinder. those lightweights do stupid things for me no matter how hard I throw them.

Questatement

Those 109 gram Rocs are an excellent choice for MTA competitions, and most specifically SCF. MTA = Most Time Aloft and SCF = Self Caught Flight

Give it a try!

my uncle keeps a really light Lightning driver (not sure which number) in his bag and he calls it The Wild Man, basically it's going to turn over and do dumb crap, so when you've got nothing else to lose, this thing just might hook up and go crazy for him.

I've seen that thing do some terrible things and end up next to the basket.

^^^Run like the wind. Self Caught Flight [SCF] is by distance, Maximum Time Aloft [MTF] is by time. ["Most" is not an adjective of time].

Latest posts