• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Under Armour Backpack

Couple quick updates. I kept the Plexiglass panel on the bottom but removed the U-channel divider. Everything fit great, but it was too...unstable. So I built a quick PVC frame to rigid-up the bag. I currently fit 17 in the frame (3 putters, 3 mids, 11 drivers/utility discs). I also added a piece of seat foam into the back slot in front of the Plexiglas plate. What that does is create kind of a "shelf" that lets me put two more putters in the back.

I still love this bag.

Attachments

• WP_001165.jpg
    WP_001165.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 151
  • WP_001166.jpg
    WP_001166.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 162
  • WP_001168.jpg
    WP_001168.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 154
man i want this bag so bad lol....hey quick question i saw the physical flight post on the Howitzer....are they still gonna make that or is the Contender the bagg they made instead and are they giving you a free bag still?

man i want this bag so bad lol....hey quick question i saw the physical flight post on the Howitzer....are they still gonna make that or is the Contender the bagg they made instead and are they giving you a free bag still?

The "Howitzer" bag (it won't be called that, I'm sure, but it doesn't have a name yet) will still be coming in 2013. They are getting the first run of Contenders made and shipped, then will begin finishing the design and building of their medium-sized backpack. As far as I know, I'm still looking at a free one once it comes out. I bought a Contender for myself to see how it stacks up to what I'm using now.

So I finally got bored enough to try the bag out with the bottom compartment. The only trick was that I wanted the seperator zipped up (if you zip these up, it pulls the bottom material up tight so you don't get the whole bag sagging down). So that meant two small frames instead of a double-level Frankenstein frame.

The bottom now has room for 4 discs or so, or snacks, or towels (my current use), or even a light hoodie. Hell, you could even carry an extra pair of shoes in case you have a disc go swimming and you want to get it back. Since I have a plastic plate anchoring in the bottom rails, and a Plexiplas plate on top of that, water shouldn't soak through to anything I keep down there.

The top just has a simple frame with a couple armrests to hold the discs in better. If you look, I didn't put a back bar along the bottom. Two reasons. First, I don't like feeling those bars across my back, so I try to avoid them as much as possible. Two, this way, I can twist the armrests inwards some and effectively create a smaller disc space if I don't want to carry the full 16 or so it takes to fill the top. Even at 16 (as you can see) the side discs are still easy to pull out.

So if I'm using all available disc space; I can fit 16 up top, 2 in my top putter quiver, 4 in the bottom, 2 in each side. For a total of 26 discs. I honestly only carry roughly 16, so I have a lot of extra space for other things. Plus this brings the bulk of the disc weight up higher, so it should be easier to lug around for a day of discin'.

Attachments

• WP_001176.jpg
    WP_001176.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 126
  • WP_001175.jpg
    WP_001175.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 126
  • WP_001178.jpg
    WP_001178.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 158
Pair of shoes, hoodie, 5 discs. Not all at the same time, though.

Attachments

• WP_001179.jpg
    WP_001179.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 98
  • WP_001180.jpg
    WP_001180.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 91
  • WP_001181.jpg
    WP_001181.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 92
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-Armou...7?pt=US_CSA_MWA_Backpacks&hash=item4854958333

May the best man win. I already purchased one earlier this week after seeing how awesome this bag looks.

ha, at $65 I'm tempted to buy it just for a new color option. But I'll let someone else nab it. I'm about a dozen rounds into mine and I still love it. I'm sold on the top/bottom set-up. Having that lower compartment for storage and raising the disc weight up is the way to go.

ha, at $65 I'm tempted to buy it just for a new color option. But I'll let someone else nab it. I'm about a dozen rounds into mine and I still love it. I'm sold on the top/bottom set-up. Having that lower compartment for storage and raising the disc weight up is the way to go.

I have certainly noticed that the higher on the back the discs rest, the less stress it places on the back. That was my primary reason for switching from the old style Innova bags from back in the day.

It seems as though it would be worth the effort to make that compartment on the bottom. Did you place a piece of corrugated plastic or anything at the top of the bottom compartment?

My philosophy on that question would be to keep the separation/volume of the two compartments as true to their natural size as possible. Don't know if this would help or hinder the discs carried.

I have certainly noticed that the higher on the back the discs rest, the less stress it places on the back. That was my primary reason for switching from the old style Innova bags from back in the day.

It seems as though it would be worth the effort to make that compartment on the bottom. Did you place a piece of corrugated plastic or anything at the top of the bottom compartment?

My philosophy on that question would be to keep the separation/volume of the two compartments as true to their natural size as possible. Don't know if this would help or hinder the discs carried.

I did not. Two reasons, first is that without anything, the discs sink into the material and rest on the pvc frame underneath, making them more secure in the upper compartment. Second is that when you're using the top compartment for discs, your overhead space can get tight. The extra little drop down pulls the bag material tighter and gives you a bit more room to comfortably pull the discs out.

I did not. Two reasons, first is that without anything, the discs sink into the material and rest on the pvc frame underneath, making them more secure in the upper compartment. Second is that when you're using the top compartment for discs, your overhead space can get tight. The extra little drop down pulls the bag material tighter and gives you a bit more room to comfortably pull the discs out.

Well, that certainly makes sense :)

Mine shipped out yesterday; hoping to get it by the weekend! From the pictures of the one I got, primarily grey with some red trim, the inside will look like red plaid lol.

http://www.plunderguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Under-Armour-Innovate.jpg

Check UA outlet stores. I just saw 3 of these in Gonzales LA

You sir, are fantastic. I checked my local outlet, didn't have any on the floor. Asked the guys working, showed em a photo and he checked the back and found one. Best thing? 39 bucks. I'm excited as this is going to be way less sweaty in the texas summer heat.

So I finally got bored enough to try the bag out with the bottom compartment. The only trick was that I wanted the seperator zipped up (if you zip these up, it pulls the bottom material up tight so you don't get the whole bag sagging down). So that meant two small frames instead of a double-level Frankenstein frame.

The bottom now has room for 4 discs or so, or snacks, or towels (my current use), or even a light hoodie. Hell, you could even carry an extra pair of shoes in case you have a disc go swimming and you want to get it back. Since I have a plastic plate anchoring in the bottom rails, and a Plexiplas plate on top of that, water shouldn't soak through to anything I keep down there.

A few questions. How did you attach the rails to the bottom of the bag? Could you post the dimensions of the PVC you used? I love how the bag feels/storage, but the bottom definitely needs to be beefed up. Did you ever jam some heavy duty safety pins in main zipper or did you find it worked fine without it?

A few questions. How did you attach the rails to the bottom of the bag? Could you post the dimensions of the PVC you used? I love how the bag feels/storage, but the bottom definitely needs to be beefed up. Did you ever jam some heavy duty safety pins in main zipper or did you find it worked fine without it?

The rails are screwed into a plastic plate (I cut out a rectangle from the top of a 5-gallon pail) on the inside bottom of the bag. Just screws and nuts/lock washers. I put a plexiglas plate over that and the bottom frame rests on the plexiglas.

I don't actually have the dimensions of the frame, unfortunately. This is the 3rd frame I've made for the bag and I tend to do everything by trial and error. I have a mass of pre-cut PVC pipes from other frames I've built and I just grab one that fits and measure any others off that. I never take out a measuring tape or anything.

And I have another plexiglas plate in front of the top frame so it holds the discs in. I just have small sewing safety pins holding the zippers in place, and haven't had any issues.

Unfortunately I'm not very much help with step-by-step instructions. I'm very hands on and tinker often, so the specfics of what I am using right now are unknown to me, lol.

Thinking of selling her to make way for new DIY projects. Keep an eye out in the marketplace today if you want to nab this DIY beauty.

Latest posts