• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable complement for Roc3

elkevo

Par Member
I currently bag a Champ Mako3 as my understable mid. Should I be looking for something a bit less stable to complement the Roc3 or is the Mako3 adequate? Is there maybe a beaded equivalent of the Mako3 out there?

It depends on how stable your Mako3 is, how hard you throw, and how understable you like your mids. McBeth sometimes only uses Roc3's (champ and McPro), sometimes has a Mako3 or two in the bag for the most understable shots...depends on the stability of the discs he's using and he can hand pick everything I'm sure.

The Comet (flat ones are less stable) are good less stable/glidey Roc complements as well, with a bead and similar feel to a Roc. The Mako3 I feel is a bit more line drive type of a disc and the Comet likes a bit more air under it.

I throw a claymore which is in the same ballpark as a mako3 as my least stable mid.

I dont feel like im missing anything that isnt covered by putters and understable fairways.

I currently bag a Champ Mako3 as my understable mid. Should I be looking for something a bit less stable to complement the Roc3 or is the Mako3 adequate? Is there maybe a beaded equivalent of the Mako3 out there?

I bag the Mako3 also. Unless you have a need on your course(s) for a more understable mid, the Mako3 should be adequate. Just learn to throw an anny/turnover shot with it.

But if you want a more understable mid, the Cobra is an idea to try, especially in DX (it'll season in to understable goodness more quickly), or you could try the Prodigy M5 (very understable) or M4 (more like the Mako3).

As to beaded Mako3 equivalents: the Mirage is an understable approach disc with a bead (it's VTech). The new Manta is an understable mid and is supposedly beaded, but I have no experience with it.

Last but not least: for me, the Comet rim is very uncomfortable compared to the Mako3 rim, so keep that in mind when it's being suggested.

You're the only one who can determine if the Mako3 is understable enough for your game. Do you feel that you can cover every shot with it that your Roc3 can't?

I personally only bag understable discs in control drivers and distance drivers. The shots that go left are either thrown with anny's with a midrange or thrown with a forehand, depending on the line. I parked a 315 foot hole that pretty much looked like a cheeto bending to the right yesterday with my axis thrown on an anhyzer, so I feel with proper release angle an understable midrange isn't necessary. However, some prefer to hyper-flip something and allow the disc to do the work. both styles work and it's all up to you to decide. In the meantime you could always get an understable mid and just see, cause who doesn't like more plastic? ;)

Beating up a DX Roc3 is always an option too. I keep an old DX Roc (one of my first discs) that is beat to hell for understable shots. I can release this with 45 degrees of hyzer and it'll flip to flat and keep turning. Throw it more of a touch shot with a little anhyzer and you can get some beautiful soft turnovers.

Last but not least: for me, the Comet rim is very uncomfortable compared to the Mako3 rim, so keep that in mind when it's being suggested.

What is your hate for the Comet about? Seems you can never let an opportunity pass to stick in a few needles. Is it because it's such a recommended disc and you can't throw one, so you hate on it every chance you get? If he's throwing a Roc, a Comet is not going to feel uncomfortable.

I throw Roc's and Comets, they are my only mid molds and I carry two of each, they cover all of my mid needs and they feel similar in the hand. I used to throw Makos, and to me, they are uncomfortable, they feel very blocky and thick in my hand. They also don't power down as well as a Comet.

Last edited:
I bag both a Comet, and a Buzzz SS for US lines- I'm not a brand Loyalist, I like discs that feel good and fly properly for me- regardless of branding

i bag mako3s for my striaght to understable shots.. 180 for striaght and 168 for understable. add a couple rocs and a gator and every mid shot is covered, just have to execute the throw

You may as well just use a roc3/z or x comet combo, or use the wasp/comet combo. You're halfway there already, throwing a roc3.

Seriously, I don't think there's a better set of mids to pair. Roc-ghost-wasp with a comet. All big beads, all slower-ish mids, wider diameter and all incredibly versatile on their half of the stability spectrum.

Ignore that stuff about the comet being uncomfortable since you're already throwing a roc3. At least give it a shot. It isn't really understable in z or at max weight in x, but it's so easy to make it fly on understable lines that it may as well be. And in the future if you're unsatisfied with the roc3, consider the wasp since it's flatter than a roc3 with more reliable stability anyway.

On second thought, let me just redesign your whole bag for you even though you only asked one question.

The mako is good though. If it's working, why bother asking?

I throw the Roc3/MD3 combo for slightly OS mids and the Comet for my US mids. The Comet is a little weird in the hand at first but after a couple of throws with it the weirdness goes away. SD86 just seems to throw beadless mids so of course the beaded Comet feels weird to him.

SD86 just seems to throw beadless mids so of course the beaded Comet feels weird to him.

Not "weird", but uncomfortable. And yes, the Roc3 is a bit uncomfortable for me, as well. It's not just the bead, though; it's the concave shape of the underside in conjunction with the bead.

And yes, I do prefer beadless mids, though if a beaded one works for me I'll be okay with it. Right now the Titanium Buzzz and Mako3 are my mids vs. the Roc3/Comet pairing. It's what works for me; YMMV.

I've been bagging a Mako3 while waiting for some Mcpro Roc3's to beat in.

I haven't been all that happy with the Mako3. It's fine, but I just don't look forward to throwing it. I've been experimenting with a Fuse over the past few weeks, which has been a lot more predictably understable. It's also feels like it has a more similar grip to the Roc3 (compared to the Mako3), and it doesn't have that super uncomfortable grip that the Comet has (IMO).

I didn't like the feel of the Mako3's and found them to be unpredictably flippy at times. Maybe nose angle sensitive, I don't know. For slightly US I like the Truth, and for very US, Tursas or Meteor (two discs that are extremely similar imo).

Latest posts