• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable discs

I've found that most truly US discs (drivers especially) are gimicky. I've recently been testing the DGA Sail and it could turn and burn one throw or it could perform a perfect s curve. They're not reliable enough to warrant me bagging them. However, I do bag an Evidence which I've beaten the crap out of and its now consistently US. Just my 2 cents

Ya I agree with them being inconsistent. I used to love US discs as they just fly forever when thrown right but it seems you can be off on angle of release just a little and they can go nuts. Meanwhile the stable to OS just do their just do their jobs right more frequently and can deal with wind.

I still love me an US that can just fly forever tho, just beautiful to watch.

Do you use an understable driver, fairway, mid and putter? if so do you bag an U/S disc for each "category" or only some? If some which categories and why?

Currently I have an U/S SP11 Driver - Renegade and U/S SP5 Mid - Truth (which is marketed as being O/S.... ... ... ...) that I use for anhyzers that will hold the line without fighting out early and negating the stability tailwinds add to a drive whether hyzer-flipping or a flat release.

Just curious what other people bag and why.

I prefer more neutral at lower speeds. They're easily workable, don't have to be forced over. At higher speeds I do have dedicated understable spots, but I don't mind skipping a speed.

Doggy style is considered understable, I guess. I use it for neutral short approaches though. Useful for hyzerflips at longer approach distance. Comet is neutral as well.

Regarding skipping a speed, I have a gstar gazelle that I can toss pretty far on a high line. It's understable and goes a long way. I really don't find myself reaching for a high speed understable driver in between this control slot and my Max d slot as a result. It's a niche. I do carry an understable olf, but I rarely ever use it. I only carry it because I'm sure at some point I'll wish I had it. A longer, low and straight or turnover shot perhaps.

I don't think the discs are inconsistent. I think it is very hard for the average recreational disc golfer to apply the correct power, spin, and angle to the disc to achieve the desired result, or that it takes a lot of practice in order to duplicate a shot because spin is hard to master.

I have an understable mid, 7 speed, 9 speed, and 2-3 understable 13 speed drivers. I've been playing with them since last season and I am not perfect with them, I'm definitely still learning them, but I am getting the hang of them and I usually know what I did wrong when they don't fly as intended.

To me, it's like adding forehand to your backhand. It's a type of shot that is different than a forehand, and sometimes it's important to have. I am learning that just because the disc goes to the right whichever way you throw it, does not mean you have all your shots covered with forehand. There is a hole on one of my local courses that I've been trying to forehand on, and I decided to try backhanding an understable disc instead, and it is a much better suited flight for that hole.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I take a few molds and get lost of plastic types. For my mids, I use an MD3 C, P, S, and Glow line. C's are neutral, P's I'm breaking in to be understable and S and Glows I switch out depending on weather. I like to have the same mold feel in my hand and manipulate my shot - I grew up playing with one disc.

As far as understable finickiness - these discs show flaws in form. On field work days, I warm up with my putters to make sure my form, release and angles are on point. It sucks to watch one fly off your line, but in the long run it truly helps!

I'm most comfortable throwing everything from a hyzer angle. I usually carry an US and an OS option for each distance range but I apparently carry far fewer discs to cover my range of distances than is common on here.

<200' ish
Challenger - Putt'r
200-300' ish
Buzz - Fuse
300' ish - 400'
Wraith - Valk

Sometimes I use a Force.

I don't really understand the need to carry more than 8 discs at a time.

While I know what you mean...some reasons that your bag may not accommodate are: wind, spike hyzers, skip shots, utility shots (overhands, FH rollers), BH rollers.

For me, it's the fun factor. But recently I made a 5-disc travel bag (sparkle Z force, less stable Z Nuke, Star Teebird, BigZ Buzzz, D Challenger) and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't really miss anything except my Zone. Next time, it's going in the suitcase...

While I know what you mean...some reasons that your bag may not accommodate are: wind, spike hyzers, skip shots, utility shots (overhands, FH rollers), BH rollers.

I bag < 10 discs all the time and I think I cover most of those, not sure what a spike hyzer is and didn't know people did FH rollers tho lol. Everytime I break out my bigger bag to carry more discs I regret it, just did it the other day and wish I woulda just had my small bag as it's just easier to carry. For tourneys tho I can see brining more discs just cuz weather factors could change at any minute.

I bag < 10 discs all the time and I think I cover most of those, not sure what a spike hyzer is and didn't know people did FH rollers tho lol. Everytime I break out my bigger bag to carry more discs I regret it, just did it the other day and wish I woulda just had my small bag as it's just easier to carry. For tourneys tho I can see brining more discs just cuz weather factors could change at any minute.

Spike hyzer is just a really high hyzer shot that comes down as a nearly vertical blade and tends to stay wherever it lands reasonably well. They're useful for going over obstacles or for when you really can't risk running too far past. You can throw one with any disc though.

I would expect you could use any US disc for a FH roller but I personally don't tend to play courses where rollers are viable very often and so I tend not to trust them enough to throw them even when I do.

Ah ok I do the hyzer spike all the time but I basically almost never use rollers... on purpose anyways lol.

I'm at the point where I'm about to bag up most of my understables mostly DX discs and have a lose my discs day. I can't get a lot of these to fly right unless I'm at like 50% power or so. The good plastic US I can still use. They are all probably way to beat in to use for any shot other then rollers tho. You guys do this? The discs seem useless. What do you guys do when discs get to flippy?

Latest posts