• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable Mid

why not just throw a flick?

I just started working on FH, and as of right now it's total garbage. I can throw accurate FH hyzer upshots with a Harp, but not really beyond 100' or so.

I'm guessing my McGlow Roc3 will get there eventually, since I throw it quite a bit and it started off surprisingly less stable than my Champ & G* ones. But in the meantime I need something for those 250-or-so turnover placement & woods shots.

I have no experience with the glow ones, but the mcpros I have from a couple years ago break in beautifully.

I don't have a forehand, well I do but I throw a LHFH and a RHBH so the flights end up being very similar, so understable disc are vital to my game.

The Westside Tursas is the best understable mid I've found...beautifully understable and holds its line throughout the flight. The VIP is just awesome...one of my favorite plastics of all I've tried. One thing that's strange is that my disc says 5/5/-3/1 but websites say 5/5/-2/1. To me it flies more like a -3/1.

As a second choice I say the Stratus...nice flight but I just don't much for any of the Discraft plastics.

TripleB

One of my buddies bags a Mako3, and it flies pretty similar to my MD. Same for the X Comet I had (which I gave to my wife), kinda dead-straight.

Overall, I'm surprised to hear Comet and Mako3 in the same sentence. I still think you should try the X Comet. The thing is that it doesn't really hyzer flip. You have to learn how to put it on the right line. On some holes (especially if there's a really low ceiling), it might not work as well as a faster, flippier mid just cuz Comets like a little air under them. A Meteor is fine too, or maybe even an X Stratus? but with the Meteor, Mako3, and faster mids, they tend to fade out when a Comet will just keep drifting right.

Nevertheless, I've seen people that like the Tursas, and I suppose it's worth a try too.

I would say X Stratus as well if you want something that's truly understable. It's definitely a fun disc to throw and goes far! I would personally just beat in a DX roc.

My favorites for this slot have been the Stingray and the Tursas. Turn without burn.

Beat up Warships are also fantastic: believe either the rim or the lid is the same as the Tursas.

My favorites for this slot have been the Stingray and the Tursas.

Forgot about Stingray...that is a great one as well!!! Had it in DX and loved it...great flight pattern and loooooong! I meant to get it in the Star and forgot all about. Happy with my Tursas now but Stingray is a fantastic choice as well!!! (imo, better than the Stratus)

TripleB

At your distances and assumed arm speed based on what discs are doing for you, I would recommend a RGL Fuse, the flippiest of Fuse iterations (excluding the harder to find TM Fuse). The Warrant also sounds good but I haven't thrown one. Fuse, Tursas, Claymore, Evidence etc are all great choices but you'd want to go lighter weights or they might be too straight for you. Same goes for Comets, Makos, M4s, Theory, etc.

I was thinking about this a bit harder and Lighting brand discs has this exact midrange you seek, my dad used a black of this disc till he lost it, then got dark gray and lost that. They had just came out with the DuPont material in the disc so that made the dark gray with black flecks in it, nearly impossible to find.

I was thinking about this a bit harder and Lighting brand discs has this exact midrange you seek, my dad used a black of this disc till he lost it, then got dark gray and lost that. They had just came out with the DuPont material in the disc so that made the dark gray with black flecks in it, nearly impossible to find.

good recommendation!

Truly impossible to find if we don't know the name of the disc!

Latest posts