• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understanding my Discs

TreeHate

Bogey Member
I am basically a newb, and have spent time reading the noob thread, and only a couple dozen pages in but, is there a good reference for helping me better understand my current discs? Or would it be easier/quicker to get the forums advice?

Like a flight chart? Which discs do you have? I recommend taking them to a wide open field and throwing them. A lot. Learn how they fly in wind and when you do certain things to your release angle, etc. Best way to get to know them in my opinion. What I do with a predator may not be what you can do and so on.

Edit: Your profile says you've been playing like twelve years. I don't know exactly where that setting is but if you're new to the sport you might change that so people give you answers and not look to you for them.

I have found the chart for most of my discs, but I am having trouble translating that to me if that makes any sense.

Since i just moved, I have basically gotten all new discs,

ESP Impact
Nuke SS
Star Destroyer
Star Wraith
Stalker
Champion Beast
Innova Dragon
I ordered an avenger SS and a FLX Stalker last night -

These are my new ones, i have a few cyclones i have played with for a long time and have learned well.

I wouldn't order any more discs for now. Well not drivers. You don't seem to have any midranges or putters and that's where you should start. The cyclone, stalker, avenger ss, even nuke ss can be good drivers for beginners but I wouldn't worry about drivers until you are tossing your putter and mids with good accuracy, consistency, and power. Try a Buzzz, Shark, or Roc for a mid. Try maybe an aviar or magnet for a putter. Don't worry about that destroyer lol. Not a beginner's friend. Definitely hit that open field and throw until you're tired. Learn the discs then learn the course. You'll have fun and really improve your game the quickest.

I would go out with just a Mid, Putter, and Stalker and try to throw and or play. The best to learn though is just to throw in an open field with different release angles and wind conditions. Good luck!

I would go out with just a Mid, Putter, and Stalker and try to throw and or play. The best to learn though is just to throw in an open field with different release angles and wind conditions. Good luck!

100% spot on. FOrget the wide rim drivers for now ( destoryer, nuke, wraith ). Learn the basics with exactly the discs that Cody mentioned.

And do alot of field work. Play with the release angles. Best would be a football field or something like it, with field goals to have some sort of distance indication. Try to get your discs to fly different curves and try to get them as far as possible.

Once you have done that for a few hours, you will have a better feel for what your discs like and dont like to do.

You can look at flight charts, but IMO they are overrated. Just like SteveOG said, my Stalker may fly different for me than it does for you. Just hit the field and throw til you can't feel your arm, that's what I do sometimes. The best way to learn is to do, not to read stuff. I hope you learn your discs man, that is the first step to success in disc golf, and if you learn them properly, the rest will be easy so to speak.

Agreed. Don't throw any discs faster than Teebird/XL/Eagle/etc for a while. I don't throw them at all (except a Firebird).

If you really want to learn your discs, be sure to buy them in base plastic (DX, Pro-D). Discs all fly differently as they wear in, often times becoming much better flyers as they do.

I have worn/beat discs in my bag that you, as a new player, might say, "you are going to throw that?!?" when in fact they are beautiful flyers. Taking some discs through their life cycle and learning how discs age will help you understand stablilty/flight of discs better/faster than staring at a chart day after day.

Taking some discs through their life cycle and learning how discs age will help you understand stablilty/flight of discs better/faster than staring at a chart day after day.

Great way to put it! OP, you are on your way to success with some of this information here :clap::thmbup:

Years Playing: 12.7

You have played almost 13 years and you consider yourself a noob? You should be giving us advice.

I have been playing a long time but I am certainly not pro material, there were a few summers in there I wasnt able to play due to a broken ankle at birth and having some bone fragments left I have to have removed....
My game is very inconsistant for as long as I have played. I really need to get some proper footwear.

Thank you much for the information guys, I actually use my cyclones as mids, I cannot throw them very far for some reason but I am deadly accurate with them, and i use my challenger putter ALOt which I didnt list.

I am thinking of picking up a portable basket this week to practice with since I am still looking for a car - any suggestions on a basket type/brand?

Last edited:
You have played almost 13 years and you consider yourself a noob?

I played 13 years before finding my game. Believe me, it happens...

Also, I didn't have the resources of this site for those 13 years.

Coincidence? I think not...

Also, OP, get a Roc or Buzzz and throw that for 50% of your shots. You will improve quickly that way.

Last edited:
Ok, yea my friend has a buzz and I really like it just in the few times ive thrown it, but for some reason I throw it very similarly to my nuke?

I have been playing a long time but I am certainly not pro material, there were a few summers in there I wasnt able to play due to a broken ankle at birth and having some bone fragments left I have to have removed....
My game is very inconsistant for as long as I have played. I really need to get some proper footwear.

Thank you much for the information guys, I actually use my cyclones as mids, I cannot throw them very far for some reason but I am deadly accurate with them, and i use my challenger putter ALOt which I didnt list.

I am thinking of picking up a portable basket this week to practice with since I am still looking for a car - any suggestions on a basket type/brand?

Check out the thread about the instep baskets. They are on sale of $70 thats 30% off. I just got one and it is the best $70 I have ever spent.

Word thanks for the recommendation, I think ive seen those before, reviews are mixed but the price is right!

It's worth the seventy bucks. You'll sink another thirty into it but once you do it'll catch better than a m-14 and many other portables. It'll be top heavy but that's what tent stakes are for. Best practice for anybody looking to improve is always putting and your mids game. If you throw a Buzzz like you throw your Nuke I'm guessing you're throwing both on big hyzers. Try to play with people who are better than you and are willing to help critique your form. Just don't give up.

Ok, yea my friend has a buzz and I really like it just in the few times ive thrown it, but for some reason I throw it very similarly to my nuke?

If there is a more perfectly stated reason to keep throwing a Buzzz and permanently stow the Nuke, I haven't heard it.

Don't think I am having fun with you Mr. Hater, what I am saying is this: you are not throwing your Nuke any farther than your Buzzz because you lack good throwing form. Your Nuke cannot go farther than your Buzzz because you can't get it going at the speed it requires to fly as intended. This is not the fault of sheer strength/arm speed. It has to do with your form.

Focusing on throwing the Buzzz farther will do a couple of very good things for you....

1. You will improve your form faster because there is a wider margin of error in release angle (especially nose angle) with the Buzzz, and that will get you good throws much more consistently.

2. You will find it easier to see how changes in your throwing technique translate into how the disc flies. i.e. you could make the same changes with the Nuke, and it would largely fly the same. This will help you make positive changes to your form and weed out bad habits.

3. In windy conditions, your Nuke will react wildly different depending on the direction, while the wind will affect the Buzzz in very predicable ways.

If for no other reason, since you throw both the same distance, the Buzzz will much more reliably go where you intend, while the Nuke could easily end up on another hole entirely. It will shave strokes off your score immediately, I promise. ** flashes Boy Scout salute **