• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unexpected benefits of baggin 1 color

Awkward Accountant

Bogey Member
The past 2 years, I've been bagging 1 color and noticed multiple benefits I did not expect.

1. Saves money from impulse buying. Whenever you see great deals from either mystery boxes, gyropalooza, or used bin gems, you'll pass as the discs won't match your bag.

2. When looking for a disc, your card mates never ask what color they are looking for.

3. More consistency with mold stabilities. From my experience, discs in the same color and plastic type have similar flight characteristics.

4. Able to look more drippy. If your discs matches your bag, and tournament apparel, you're instantly cooler.

I would not recommend this to new players who should try a variety of plastics to learn what works best for them. This choice also can be slightly more difficult initially as finding the molds you throw in a certain color can be time consuming and expensive.

How often do you pull and throw the wrong disc? I guess having everything the same color forces you to check, but I kind of like being able to glance at my bag and instantly spot (due to color and rim profile) the disc I want to throw.

How often do you pull and throw the wrong disc? I guess having everything the same color forces you to check, but I kind of like being able to glance at my bag and instantly spot (due to color and rim profile) the disc I want to throw.
I personally use mvp/axiom discs so dont run into that issue as the rims are different. I could definitely see that being an issue with single molds

I try and bag the same color when I can find the right disc in that color and it fly worthy of making the bag. That said, I often mark them with sharpie on the flight plate to differentiate them if they are the same mold and have the same stamp. I carry a lot of the same molds in different stages of wear and that helps me visually grab the correct level of beat in disc of that mold. Checking that marking to make sure it's the correct disc is second nature now and a force of habit. I can certainly see how it would be awkward for some people though.

I bag what feels best in my hand when I pick it up, regardless of color.

I see the pros and cons of both sides, but.... I've had this problem once.
I used to bag just one color and have grabbed and thrown the wrong disc less than a handful of times in meaningful rounds.
... don't wanna have it again.

Also, having a bunch of different colors in your bag, makes it a LOT easier to notice when one of your discs is missing.

To be honest, once I land on a mold, weight, and plastic, I just want to make sure the color is reasonably easy to find in most conditions.

Over the past two weekends I have played with one player using exculively black disc and another using just white discs.

We did not have to search for either players discs during the round. :)

I have also have seen someone using only blue and other exclusively pink.

Over the past two weekends I have played with one player using exculively black disc and another using just white discs.

We did not have to search for either players discs during the round. :)

I have also have seen someone using only blue and other exclusively pink.
That's wild to not need to help the black disc bro find discs.

I might go home if someone pulls out an all black disc bag. The few times I have played with black disc guys we were looking for a WHILE.

My bag is currently mostly multi-color. 2 or 3 of them the same color at most. It's not often that I mistakenly grab and throw the wrong disc from my bag thinking it was something else...
...THIS did happen this afternoon however. For my second throw at a hole, I grabbed what I thought was my yellow Star Leopard hoping to get right in the bulls-eye. I threw it on an anny release and it just flew and sailed right over the basket. What I forgot was, I took the Star Leopard out before my round so I could give more attention to my new Pro Leopard. As I walked towards the basket, I finally realized why I overthrew it- I had thrown my yelllow Falk instead. Oops.

I had an almost all blue bag at one point until I reach for my Warhorse and grabbed a D2 air instead. Realized what I'd done as it rolled about 1000ft out of bounds.

I guess it depends on the person. If you are meticulous enough to grab the correct disc, then it won't be an issue. I have definitely thrown the wrong disc based on color, but that is lesson learned.

when it comes to color, my preference is something that can be found easily. Generally lighter colors. I like yellow/green, but it can blend in in the spring.

I had an all yellow bag for most of a decade. Never left a disc behind, never picked up the wrong one. The best part was self-limiting. I wasn't out there buying up every random meme disc. Everything I had made it into the bag because it had a very specific attribute that I needed and sought out. Now, I allow three colors, and it has to be in rainbow fashion.

I have been throwing a pink bag for a couple years now. Being in Illinois its what I can find the easiest year round and like others have said I never have to think about what color I am looking for if others are helping on a errant throw.

With the exception of a new DD that might fall more towards fuchsia and my putting putters being grey I have never thrown a disc that I didn't mean to throw with them all being roughly the same shade. There are plenty of ways to tell the discs apart. Type of plastic, rim, marking it next to your name if there is no way else.

Its like a parent having identical twins. While the outside world sees two of the same person the parent always knows who their favorite kid is.

I used to spend so much time looking for discs, I would have actual nightmares where I would just endlessly search. Then, I realized my day-glo yellow discs were SO much easier to see than any other, because of my color-blindness. They absolutely POP off the grass to my eyes. Even when other, fully vision-abled people, say the leaves make my discs invisible, I have little problem seeing them. So, I've been playing with an all-yellow bag for 10-15yrs now.

At the start, I marked the rims of all my discs with a unique letter every few inches so I could read it before pulling the disc out. Now, I just know all my discs well enough that I don't reach for the wrong one much at all anymore.

One other benefit is that no one knows what you're throwing. If you and your buddies like to get into each other's heads, you can say "Wow, that firebird turned over huge, must be a really bad headwind out there!" (when you actually threw something flippy).

Saves money from impulse buying. Whenever you see great deals from either mystery boxes, gyropalooza, or used bin gems, you'll pass as the discs won't match your bag.

This is not a perk in my opinion. Player's pack, ctp prize, and unmarked found discs end up being useless to my bag.

Latest posts