• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unsanctioned single division cash tournament

The difference between trying to sort people out in divisions---using TD judgment, possibly getting it wrong---and having a single division, is that in the first case you run the risk of weaker players getting whipped by better players (playing in the wrong division for their skill level), while in the latter, it's a certainty.

I'm not sure that's much more fun.

The solutions are either to make divisions and endeavor to sort people fairly, or minimize payout (most to big players packs) to reduce the incentive.

The difference between trying to sort people out in divisions---using TD judgment, possibly getting it wrong---and having a single division, is that in the first case you run the risk of weaker players getting whipped by better players (playing in the wrong division for their skill level), while in the latter, it's a certainty.

I'm not sure that's much more fun.

The solutions are either to make divisions and endeavor to sort people fairly, or minimize payout (most to big players packs) to reduce the incentive.

or charge almost nothing.

Again, I am unwilling to rely on the honesty of the players.

Seems the best solution given that is two divisions...cash and no cash. Something like $30 for the cash division, $5 for the no cash.

The cash division plays for the cash from their entries. The no cash division's entries go into CTPs just for those players. Should separate the pretenders from the contenders pretty quick.

All my local competitions are split into divisions based off discgolf metrix player ratings. It's free and it's a good rating system and it's easy to use and it's a standard in Europe. That doesn't solve your dilemma but it works well for what you are try to achieve long term (unsanctioned ratings and rated divisions).

https://discgolfmetrix.com

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Seems the best solution given that is two divisions...cash and no cash. Something like $30 for the cash division, $5 for the no cash.

The cash division plays for the cash from their entries. The no cash division's entries go into CTPs just for those players. Should separate the pretenders from the contenders pretty quick.

This (or very close to it) seems most practical if you are going with straight up cash payouts.
Be sure to keep a house share for your own time, hassles, and expenses. 10-20% seems reasonable. Donate it or just keep it. A 100% payout is for saps or between friends.

You could use longest putt on some holes instead of CTP.

And/or have some cash prizes for after round games (corn hole, horse shoes, kan jam, etc) or raffles.

We do a unsanctioned doubles tourney every year. We pay first 3 spots very well and then pay down a 1/4 (a bit more with ties) of the field. Best players get paid, but decent players may win a few bucks or get there money back. We pay back over 90% of money back to players, so no player packs. We get the best players from all over New England, and locals who want to see really good players play our course.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Summer_of_Dubz_4_2017

And you can see there were another 7 teams within 2 strokes of the money.

Most of our statewide points series tournaments are unsanctioned events. To be very honest with you, there's very little legit bagging going on, and most of that involves newer people who underestimate their abilities.

For a one off event though, I have no idea what to tell you.

Here's an idea stolen from barrel racing that Pete May explained to me. Tom Monroe used a similar system for events he ran in Florida in the 80s. Play one round for seeding into top third, second third and bottom third. 65% of total purse goes to top third, 25% to middle third and 10% to bottom third. In your example, $585, $225 and $90. During the second round, have the bottom third only playing for 9 $10 CTPs. Pay out 5 of the 10 in the top third using normal payout tables. For the middle third, mix it up with 8 $15 CTPs just for them and pay 3 places say $40/$35/$30 so no one directly makes more than last cash in the top third.

Love this idea.
Does the first round matter in the final payouts? Or once the tiers are divided, only second round counts?

Love this idea.
Does the first round matter in the final payouts? Or once the tiers are divided, only second round counts?
I think it can be done either way. The benefit of combining both rounds is to prevent someone from maybe bagging the first round to get into the middle pool, because if they miscalculate, they could end up in the bottom of the top pool going into R2.

Raffles, putting games for prizes, free food, etc.

The way to attract players to an unsanctioned event is to make it fun, in my opinion. A lot of casual, non-PDGA players will come out for that kind of environment, and some more serious players will come out to get a break from the normal, uptight tourney scene.

Latest posts