• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Unusually warm weather in your parts?

Monkeypaws

* Ace Member *
Premium Member
Minnesota disc golf in January: normally, that means tromping around in snow boots and parkas through deep snow looking for the ribbons you attached to your discs.

We just had the mildest December one could imagine. Then, January brought some cold and snow, for about a week. Now most of that snow has melted. The week ahead has plenty of sun and highs in the forties, so that snow gonna be gone.

Willing to accept this happily as a one and done, for disc golf.

My hockey playing side is less happy.

We had a good run of above average temperatures in December here in Indiana. Januarys making us pay for that though. Nearly set a record with about 3 or 4 days with wind chills below zero and it's either been raining or snowing for what feels like a month. Later this week may be sunny and almost 50 but I'm afraid it'll be too muddy to enjoy it.

Yeah, there were only about 10 unplayably cold days in January...now we're back to it in earnest. I plan to play 3 days this week.

And, on the plus side, the brief cold snap was sufficient to thicken up ice on all the little ponds at Brookview. No lost discs for the next few weeks.

central mn here

most of the snow is gone and green grass is visible

some of my perennial plants are even startin to grow like its spring

i also mtb and xc ski and fat ski and this freeze thaw cycle is pissin me off i would much rather have a foot of snow for this time of year

why else do i live in a northern state i need/want my 4 seasons

It's very wet today as it's been raining here in Eastern central WI.

Soon as my breakfast is done cooking, I am gonna get out and play for the first time in about 2 and a half weeks.

Probably gonna get pretty muddy but I think it will be worth it.

central mn here

most of the snow is gone and green grass is visible

some of my perennial plants are even startin to grow like its spring

i also mtb and xc ski and fat ski and this freeze thaw cycle is pissin me off i would much rather have a foot of snow for this time of year

why else do i live in a northern state i need/want my 4 seasons
As much as I like a break from the cold, these types of winters are going to kill midwest downhill skiing. Eventually the mountain operators are just going to throw in the towel.

SE Idaho has been very mild sans that cold snap a few weeks ago. Highs in the upper 30's are about unheard of this time of year and they are saying lower 40's this coming week. Still lots of snow but it's melting which makes our courses soggy. I'll take walking through snow over muddy/soggy courses, feel free to disagree with me.

It's supposed to hit 60 here today and tomorrow. That is generally unheard of this time of year. Just a few weeks ago, we had record lows for the dates. We're getting pretty heavy doses of rain as well.

Philly was in the high 50s the other day...currently about 40 out. Got 6ish inches of snow 10 or so days ago but it's been nothing but grass for several days now.

Around here winter is late so the 0 degree days usually aren't until February hits. We'll see!

For GA it's our usual roller coaster. A week of lows in the single digits, warmer rainy days up over 50 and seemingly random precipitation.

Overall, it's been a very average (miserable) winter here in South Carolina....fluctuating between cold (for us) and rain. About 5 days with lows 10-15 degrees below normal, but also a couple of warm days, including one in the 70s.

I usually complain bitterly about bitter January weather, but I've been sidelined with knee surgery, so somewhat grateful that I'm not missing out on anything.

As much as I like a break from the cold, these types of winters are going to kill midwest downhill skiing. Eventually the mountain operators are just going to throw in the towel.
this season really would be the nail in the coffin for some on the fence places

lots of winter dependent places when you think about it

we considered escaping up to ne mn for a weekend to xc ski but even their conditions are terrible too icy or hard crust or just grass/dirt

we were joking but not far off from it sayin it brings moar winter blues by not havin snow than it does with the colder temps with snow

last winter in mn it was the best for snowfall i can remember in a while but this year is the worst

life trade offs mate

this season really would be the nail in the coffin for some on the fence places

lots of winter dependent places when you think about it

we considered escaping up to ne mn for a weekend to xc ski but even their conditions are terrible too icy or hard crust or just grass/dirt

we were joking but not far off from it sayin it brings moar winter blues by not havin snow than it does with the colder temps with snow

last winter in mn it was the best for snowfall i can remember in a while but this year is the worst

life trade offs mate
40 and rainy sucks, no matter the time of year. If it's cold and snowy, I'm with you......cool, I'll go do winter wonderland stuff outside. Most courses here are flooded and a mess.

40 and rainy sucks, no matter the time of year. If it's cold and snowy, I'm with you......cool, I'll go do winter wonderland stuff outside. Most courses here are flooded and a mess.
true its possibly my least favorite weather combos

0f degrees out and i can bundle up and make it for a few hours

but muddy and messy trails with rain or drizzle and just above freezing and it just seems like taunting

I agree that 30 and drizzly (or pea soup foggy this last 5 days) is not a ton of fun, but I also know that there aren't layers enough for me to stay warm in a more typical MN winter. I can get out in the 10-20's okay for snowshoeing or XC skiing, but disc golf would never stoke the furnace enough for me to stay out and enjoy it.

From that perspective, this has been an exceptionally pleasant winter for me. I've been able to average 2-3 rounds per week, usually with temps close to freezing, and sometimes even warmer. Only the middle of January shut me in, but doesn't it always?

Having grown up in MN through the 90s it's kind of eerie seeing the climate there change within part of a lifetime, and people living there acting like it's all fine and "sher is a weird winter we're having for the 20th winter in a row doncha know?" And cold temps/snowfalls that were the norm when I was growing up make news now.

Latest posts