• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Up and Coming Good Reviewers

I just wanted to give a shout out to knobby again. profile link> https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=63253

hard to believe that he hasnt hit gold level yet with 111 reviews and 697 thumb-ups.

In additional to them being well written with helpful content, his reviews basically use the full spectrum of ratings, (0.5 to 4.5 with around a 2.75 average score). He's also added the first review to numerous courses. Anyone who wants to bag north and central Iowa now has a solid resource to use to gauge where to play whether going for quantity or quality.

I suspect he's just short a couple uniques to hit gold. Please consider giving his reviews a look if you haven't done so already.

I just wanted to give a shout out to knobby again. profile link> https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=63253

hard to believe that he hasnt hit gold level yet with 111 reviews and 697 thumb-ups.

In additional to them being well written with helpful content, his reviews basically use the full spectrum of ratings, (0.5 to 4.5 with around a 2.75 average score). He's also added the first review to numerous courses. Anyone who wants to bag north and central Iowa now has a solid resource to use to gauge where to play whether going for quantity or quality.

I suspect he's just short a couple uniques to hit gold. Please consider giving his reviews a look if you haven't done so already.
Thanks for the shout out, wellsbranch250. Ran the numbers this weekend, going through all my reviews up to now. 3 uniques short of gold. Almost 800 up votes. Thanks for all the upvotes, friends. Have about 5 more reviews to get through after adding pictures, etc. Will get me past the 125 reviews for a gold Wordsmith. I'll get the gold TR soon....

No, I meant as long. Knobby has over 800 thumbs up but still no gold. Silly uniques.

Yeah, that's crazy. I got gold at around 600 thumbs. Possibly from the cherry picking of highly rated courses I've done, but still.

I don't think anyone in the history of DGCR has had to wait as long as you for the uniques for gold.

i'll argue a different point though

it is very noticeable how much more quickly reviewers are accumulating thumbs now compared to the earlier years of the site. there is so much more traffic now and it hasn't been until the last couple of years that we've had a culture of pushing people toward TR status. for over 10 years it was more like "you'll get there when you earn it" and now it's more like "let's all help you get there".

it used to be a given that you wouldn't make it past bronze, or silver at most, if you didn't leave your geographical area, unless you were in NC or maybe MN & WI. now you have Knobby as a super silver (and most of the way to cubic zirconia) with only 5 reviews outside IA.

so basically, it's kind of a newer thing to see people making it so far past a certain threshold for a TR level in terms of thumbs but being so far behind on uniques. you used to have to travel to get the votes so the uniques kind of took care of itself.

anyway, point being that there were a lot of old timers here who slogged for years to get to silver or gold. it's a different era now.

anyway, point being that there were a lot of old timers here who slogged for years to get to silver or gold. it's a different era now.

Flip side of the coin. At some point it was changed from 200 to 250 unique votes right? Not sure when that was, but that's A LOT more uniques required for diamond. But I agree, it's a different era now. I just don't know that there's that many more people on here, if not less people than years ago. You know, with Udisc being a thing.

I get more thumbs up for my reviews now since I've been doing it for so long. But you know as well as I do that it's a bunch of the same people giving those thumbs. Just my two cents, but I will say that I feel like there has been an uptick in the number of quality reviewers recently.

When I ran the numbers last weekend, I found that about 300 of the 800 upvotes I have are from just 4 users (Thanks to dreadlock86, wellsbranch250, wolfhaley and thembo). Only 4 of those are from one user that I know off this site. I am also happy that those 800 come with only 7 down votes (5 of which were on my first review almost 6 years ago). When I upvote, I look for those who are contributing to the site (like the 4 aforementioned users). Ultimately, I hope that's what I am doing, is adding value to the site. It may be for a concentrated area, but that's what I have to give. Just 2 uniques away now, it will come at some point. I have slogged a few more reviews to get there, but it will come. Fortunately, I've had a great last 12 months on the site with what I've been able to contribute. Fall of 2020 I got to a Bronze Uploader and a Silver Correspondent. In 2021, I've added 43 more reviews (just one shy of a Gold Wordsmith) added a Silver Disc Collector, Bronze Discoverer, Silver Course Explorer and a Silver Shutterbug. If I've added value, that's the takeaway. Will I be excited to garner the Gold TR (and the Gold TR mini to go along with it), absolutely. I thank you for the love, both in general and on this thread. Just trying to add to a site that I've enjoyed using as well.

Last edited:
i'll argue a different point though

it is very noticeable how much more quickly reviewers are accumulating thumbs now compared to the earlier years of the site. there is so much more traffic now and it hasn't been until the last couple of years that we've had a culture of pushing people toward TR status. for over 10 years it was more like "you'll get there when you earn it" and now it's more like "let's all help you get there".

it used to be a given that you wouldn't make it past bronze, or silver at most, if you didn't leave your geographical area, unless you were in NC or maybe MN & WI. now you have Knobby as a super silver (and most of the way to cubic zirconia) with only 5 reviews outside IA.

so basically, it's kind of a newer thing to see people making it so far past a certain threshold for a TR level in terms of thumbs but being so far behind on uniques. you used to have to travel to get the votes so the uniques kind of took care of itself.

I've noticed a huge change as well. Up until 2020, I was getting 3 - 8 thumbs per review, with a few exceptions for popular courses. My last two reviews (11/2020 and 2/2021) have received 17 and 18 thumbs up respectively. Something has changed with the culture on DGCR, perhaps COVID related or just more folks thumbing reviews...

I've noticed a huge change as well. Up until 2020, I was getting 3 - 8 thumbs per review, with a few exceptions for popular courses. My last two reviews (11/2020 and 2/2021) have received 17 and 18 thumbs up respectively. Something has changed with the culture on DGCR, perhaps COVID related or just more folks thumbing reviews...

I genuinely think that this thread and the Diamond thread have at least a little to do with more votes.

I, for example, typically just read reviews of courses that I'm considering playing. I generally don't just browse reviews. But I have read and thumbed several reviews as a direct result of these threads.

I genuinely think that this thread and the Diamond thread have at least a little to do with more votes.

I, for example, typically just read reviews of courses that I'm considering playing. I generally don't just browse reviews. But I have read and thumbed several reviews as a direct result of these threads.

As have I. In the past 18 months I have started going to the reviews on home page 3-5 times a week and giving thumbs up to those are well written. Many go to bronze, silver and gold TR's, but I make sure to not overlook newer reviewers as well.

No doubt that mentioning reviews, reviewers, and definitely linking reviews in these threads (or even the Classic Review Lines thread) generates at least a few extra votes for those review(er)s.

I'm not necessarily opposed to recognizing those doing a good job, but sometimes it feels a bit like people are campaigning on the behalf of others.

At least no one's really using these threads to blatantly campaign for themselves.

Last edited:

Latest posts