• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] upgrade plastic for woods?

My home course has all of 4 open holes out of 27, so durable plastic has been an issue with me. I have a DX Teebird that I absolutely love, but it has been beaten in to the point where it flutters during its flight. I use a Z Buzzz for a lot of the shots and it has lasted me 4 months with course play 3-4 times a week so far, and that's just one disc. I have 3 backup Buzzz discs and I carry an ESP Buzz that holds up extremely well too.

I'm new to the game as I've been playing just a few months and I have a Vibram Ibex. It is extremely durable in the woods and very forgiving if you hit more than a few trees.

I will definitely still have my rocs as staples in my bag but for those heavily wooded holes the Vibram really seems like the way to go. At this point the rock is my only mid so i certainly have some slots I can fill.

You would love an Ibex then. You can shape good lines with it and it is a mid that loves to go straight. And it's on the faster side of mids, so you won't sacrifice much distance.

I'd also recommend checking out a Ridge and Summit for driving putters. The Ridge is super straight and you can really crank on it (it has excellent HSS). The Summit is a hyzer flip machine and great at making slow, right turnovers (rhbh). Both discs are very good in the woods and medium Xlink putters do not beat in.

Edit: And as for a woods driver, the Star Leopard is magnificent. Best finesse driver on the market.

What would be the most forgiving disc for in the woods? Would love to not clip and tree and go 100' off course

A gumputt is awesome for sticking where it hits but sometimes that leaves you behind a tree.

What I use for the woods, and for hills where I want the disc to not roll, are a Blowfly and a Blowfly II. Some people think them too floppy--the first, anyways--but they don't ricochet and they have yet to be damaged by anything that I have hit. They also really grab the chains. A few times after get out of trouble shots in the woods I've even been asked what it was that I threw, and that has never happened with any other disc I've thrown! :D

I've also been pondering getting an R-Pro Roc for in the woods....

Oh, and btw, the Blowfly II floats, and it seems to fly like a shorter ranged Buzz. It has become a permanent fixture in my bag. :)