• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

The flopping is going to make me sell this and wait for that Fossa thing.

I know others have already given you some advice . . . fwiw, my son & I have been using Shifts for years now and there are two keys to improving the bag's balance: (1) put a lot of discs in the side pockets. We each use 3 discs on the outer side pockets and 2 on the inner side poclets, so 10 discs in the side pockets altogether. This gives is a wider more stable base. (2) Always carry a water bottle. I'll sometimes carry a bigger water bottle than I really want just to help with the counterweight.

Before the Shift I had a Rebel. The Rebel is a mountain goat and will stand anywhere. Shift is very tippy comparatively, but with side pockets full and a heavy drink bottle it gets a lot better.

Not trying to "sell" you on sticking with the Shift . . . his has finally worn out after four years of daily use (literally) and he is currently waiting on a Fossa Skinny 2.3 to ship. He wanted to try something different and it's cheaper too. So we'll soon see how that compares. Looks like a mini-Rebel to me so I'm quite curious about it.

Picked up a lightly used 2021 Rebel off FB for 160. As someone who has carried a spinal tap for the last year I'm stoked on how light the rebel is. With my Spinal tap I had to carry two putters in one of the side pockets but the rebel has plenty of room and enough storage to fit all my discs in the main area. I actually can probably carry two more discs in the main compartment if I wanted too. As of right now Im carrying 21 discs and already I can see myself carrying this bag for a long time. Also mine came with a rain fly I looked on UP website and I couldn't see if they come with one from the factory or not.

Picked up a lightly used 2021 Rebel off FB for 160. As someone who has carried a spinal tap for the last year I'm stoked on how light the rebel is. With my Spinal tap I had to carry two putters in one of the side pockets but the rebel has plenty of room and enough storage to fit all my discs in the main area. I actually can probably carry two more discs in the main compartment if I wanted too. As of right now Im carrying 21 discs and already I can see myself carrying this bag for a long time. Also mine came with a rain fly I looked on UP website and I couldn't see if they come with one from the factory or not.
Yes, the 2021 Rebel comes with a rainfly.

I love the Pinch for an all around bag. Disclaimer: I'm not a tournament player and will very very very occasionally play a round in a league. It doesn't have the most amazing storage for extra drinks or layers, but as far as disc storage goes, it's simple and carries everything I need it too (20+). I use the side pockets for utility discs and a water bottle and it works great. I just bought a Draw for those quick 3 disc rounds (I also like to try new plastic all the time so I do 1-2 disc rounds frequently). Just something to consider for those looking for something a little bigger than the Shift!

The Shift continues to totally piss me off. It even flops in my truck throwing discs all over. The instructions should say- "Just lay this on its back and ignore the worthless bottom pegs". I hate this bag so much.

I ordered a Draw about 2 weeks ago for my practice rounds with one or two molds. The tracking still hasn't come up (it says something like label created, delivery date will be provided asap). I know there are shipping delays across the board so I'm not terribly concerned, but does anyone know if this is normal for UPD right now? Again, not concerned or upset, just wanted to see if anyone here had insight :thmbup:

The Shift continues to totally piss me off. It even flops in my truck throwing discs all over. The instructions should say- "Just lay this on its back and ignore the worthless bottom pegs". I hate this bag so much.

Random thought, but do you have that plastic bottom panel inserted correctly? I had to really struggle and fight with mine to get it fully seated in the bottom of the bag. Mine doesn't seem nearly this tippy but I've got 8 in the lower side slots and only 3-4 in the upper middle slots so perhaps a more stable setup than you're running.

Random thought, but do you have that plastic bottom panel inserted correctly? I had to really struggle and fight with mine to get it fully seated in the bottom of the bag. Mine doesn't seem nearly this tippy but I've got 8 in the lower side slots and only 3-4 in the upper middle slots so perhaps a more stable setup than you're running.
This is a great observation. I highly suspect I do not.

I ordered a Draw about 2 weeks ago for my practice rounds with one or two molds. The tracking still hasn't come up (it says something like label created, delivery date will be provided asap). I know there are shipping delays across the board so I'm not terribly concerned, but does anyone know if this is normal for UPD right now? Again, not concerned or upset, just wanted to see if anyone here had insight :thmbup:

That is likey an issue with the transfer company not Upper Park. I waited 18 days for a UPS/USPS delivery (not from Upper Park) this month. I had the same message on the tracking site: 'Label created. Check back later for updates.' The first update came when the package was delivered to my door. Not the vendor's fault in my case.

Follow up. I asked a fellow poster here to cut out a piece of thin aluminum to match the shape of that panel. HUGE improvement.

I ordered a Pinch the other day. Was looking for something a little smaller than my big ass Grip A series bag for road trips to mountainous areas. This looked like a good deal. I also have an old Innova bag with some phenix quad shocks, but was looking for something more backpack like but smaller than the Grip. I also have the DD Commander bag, which I love for my Zuca, but not for carrying around. Hence why I bought the Grip in the first place. Hopefully I'll get to test it out next weekend.

Shoutout to my Shift. We recently went on a weekend trip, and I brought my disc golf bag and discs. We did an impromptu day hike which we hadn't prepared for. Emptying all the discs left the Shift as a great hiking backpack, worn by my wife and me at various stages and comfortable for both of us.

Fear not -- the discs went right back in as soon as we got back to the car. But it's still a great bag! My only complaint is that it's so well-constructed that I haven't had a good excuse to buy a new one!

Thanks UPD.

I've been using and adoring a DD Commander for over a year now, and I have no complaints about it. However, I play disc golf so much, that I've been wearing myself down with a fully loaded Commander due to its sheer weight. I decided to order a Shift and a bunch of purple discs to construct a minimalist secondary bag setup.

Today was the first round I played with my new Shift, and boy what a pleasant change of things! I use 15 discs and 1 32oz bottle in my shift, and it feels like I'm not even wearing anything on my back. I took off the chest and waist straps foreseeing that I'll never use them.

Besides its real light weight, which I'm sure is the Shift's main attraction, I need to compliment it for its very intelligent design. Using discs in the side pockets to act as rigid side panels is genius. Not only does it cut down on the weight of the bag, but I love the organization and ease of access to pull these discs in and out. I organize my side discs so that I have 4 overstable fairway/distance drivers on the left sleeves, and 4 straight/understable fairway/distance drivers on the right sleeves.

The other pleasant surprise was the amount of storage space the shift has. I thought for sure it was going to be all discs and no storage, with the little pouches on the waist straps being the only storage the bag had, but to my surprise, it has a relatively large amount of room thanks to a centered and open chasm right behind the water bottle holder-- a space big enough to store even a wadded up jacket. The double-zippered pocket on the cover of the bag to hold something like a phone or wallet allowing access while both tucked and or untucked is an amazing touch as well.

My other surprise was just how dang stable the bag is on the ground. Coming from the Commander, its stability is definitely one of its main strengths, but the Shift stands up really well, even on inclines when you position it accordingly. I didn't have it fall down on me once during the round, and my local course is full of fairways with differing slopes.

Really the only complaint I have with the shift is just how damn hard it was to get the base panel in when I first got it. I felt like I was either going to break the bottom of the bag itself, or the panel. Once in though, the bag is nice and solid on its bottom.

Okay maybe a first real complaint about the Shift. I don't know if the buckles used on the backstraps are just low quality, or I'm doing something wrong, but they keep gradually slipping on me every round, enough to where I have to slightly readjust them once or twice throughout the round. I even inked the exact measurement at which I want on my straps, and the buckles are loosening over time.

Anybody else experience this?

Wow, even with a large bottle and an aluminum bottom plate, my Shift is easily the tippiest bag I have ever use.

I love my Shift but this is its big flaw. It is just so tippy. My son changed from a Shift to a Fossa Skinny and he laughs all the time at the swan dives my bag takes. Since we're always playing together I often prop my bag up against his on hills. And if he's on the other side of the fairway I often have to give up and just lay the bag down on its back.

And yeah I know how to set a bag down, been using it for three years (500+ rounds). I came from a Rebel which was steady like a mountain goat. Skinny is basically equal to Rebel hill stability.

Huge water bottle helps but then it starts to defeat the point of carrying a Shift.

Oh, on the buckle slides I don't have the problem mentioned but once a month or so they mysteriously tighten up and I have to loosen them while I'm walking. So a similar but different issue, very minor doesn't bother me at all.

I love my Shift but this is its big flaw. It is just so tippy. My son changed from a Shift to a Fossa Skinny and he laughs all the time at the swan dives my bag takes.

Skinny is basically equal to Rebel hill stability.

Fossa must have improved stability quite a bit with the newer version of the Skinny. I had the original, and I pulled it out earlier this year after trying and returning the Shift. I couldn't believe how many times my old Skinny tipped over if I didn't have the closed bottom compartment jammed with discs

I have an older Rebel that goes in and out of the cart beautifully, and is completely stable on its own. I also use a Revolution Carolina Team bag that's low and long - it wouldn't move in an earthquake.

Just saw a new product teaser on Facebook. "A first in disc golf. And a top customer request."

I think the only request I have made was to change the top pocket from a mini to a putter. Mini can go anywhere. Would love to reach back and reliably grab my putter.