• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

How are those side pockets for sweatshirts, long sleeves, etc?

Ill try when I get home. Another thing I rarely have to do in TX. Im sure I can get a rain jacket or long sleeve in there. Any kind of bulk Im not sure about. I think it would fit but would be pushing back on the inside of the frame, possibly limiting disc storage.

Initial concerns: How long will the expanded mesh hold up? I foresee tears or rips from burrs on the edges of discs. How long will the elastic last from shoving discs in and out of the pockets?

Possible design changes: A larger strap (1" webbing would work) to hang the bag from on a tee sign or to simply pick up and carry between short walks. The 1/2" (?) strap on it now seems like an afterthought. The strap should also be sewn a bit wider at the anchor points so it's easier to slide your hand in.
Smaller mini pocket, or at least reduce the size of the opening so things don't slide out as easy. Maybe even a band of elastic sewn along the opening to hold the mini in better while still allowing it to be 'quick draw' style.

I 100% agree with these things you said, fix a couple things and this bag could be the best light bag going.

For anyone who cares, you can iron a patch onto these without a problem.

As to the stay poking up, UP suggested that I push it back down. I did. It stayed that way for a little bit. It back up. I think I'll pull it out and cut it down by an inch. That oughta do it.

I really dig the Shift.

Attachments

• putters3.jpg
    putters3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 145
Wow, just want to say the Rebel has been blowing me away, super comfortable bag. Best backpack bag i have ever tried. The only gripe i can think of is the verticle disc holders are a little flimsy, and can only fit 2 discs in the bottom one comfortably.

The suggestion of putting the divider pads behind the discs has worked out great for allowing the discs to sit better in that bottom holder.

In future revisions i would look at improving on the 3 disc holders, making them more rigid and hold their shape better so its easier in/out with discs when full.

8/10 overall after using the bag for a while now.. easy 9/10 or possibly a 10/10 if the 3 disc holders were more solid and perfectly positioned.

The aches and pains are gone and that's what matters most to me.

Mine's a Shift, not a Rebel. Still, I've got to agree with you that the vertical disc pockets are a little flimsy -- could have used better and slightly-bigger stiffeners. And I still need to cut 1/2 an inch off the bottom of the main stay (keeps poppoing up).

I've also got to agree with you on comfort. By far the most comfortable bag I've ever used. Super well thought out. I've been playing three rounds in a row comfortably without any fatigue in my shoulders or back. And, for me, keeping it to 15-16 discs has been helping my game and helping me weed out discs that don't do something special.

Wow, just want to say the Rebel has been blowing me away, super comfortable bag. Best backpack bag i have ever tried. The only gripe i can think of is the verticle disc holders are a little flimsy, and can only fit 2 discs in the bottom one comfortably.

The suggestion of putting the divider pads behind the discs has worked out great for allowing the discs to sit better in that bottom holder.

In future revisions i would look at improving on the 3 disc holders, making them more rigid and hold their shape better so its easier in/out with discs when full.

8/10 overall after using the bag for a while now.. easy 9/10 or possibly a 10/10 if the 3 disc holders were more solid and perfectly positioned.

The aches and pains are gone and that's what matters most to me.

I got my first rounds in with my Rebel this weekend. Thoughts:

Pros:
Great padding with good ventilation makes it easy to carry on a 95° day.
Sits on a chair easily; no tipping over on the ground either
Chest straps are very functional / practical for long walks. Phenix chest straps didn't seem to do anything...
Insulated drink holders actually insulate! That first 32oz Gatorade was a tight squeeze, but she stretched out after that.
No problems with disc storage - and I use the upper slots for my go-to discs. 2 putters in the top with a towel behind them (no problem in and out). Approach/driving putter and go-to fairway in the middle slot (as long as the putter is behind the fairway, its no problem). Utility disc in bottom slot (Resistor, so very slim disc) "locks" into place. I can insert it one-handed, but if not done a certain way, it will push the slot walls down into the main compartment. Holding the slot white inserting the disc is not really an issue for me.
I have 21 discs in there, with the dividers on the far ends (just for the stretching out phase). I will slim down to about 17-18 with no foreseeable issues.
Handle is perfect and very sturdy feeling

Cons:
Kind of flimsy on the slots (I htink the entire slot should have a "frame", not just the top 2" on the front)
No D-ring on the side for bag tags, towel, etc. There's only the velcro loop for chair/umbrella attachment on one side, so a D-ring on the other side would make perfect sense... Maybe another one inside the storage pockets as well.

I got lots of compliments and questions about it. This is definitely the best feeling backpack I have put on (L & A Grips, Ergo 1 & 2, Spinal Tap, Ranger). It sits up high on the back like it should, but it is still easy to slip my arms in (I'm 6'2 - when the straps on my Ranger are adjusted so it rides high, I find it difficult to get the bag on, if that makes sense).

Ima try to get a vidya together (couldn't make it happen this weekend) early this week so I can show some of the main things I like or think can be improved upon.

Great feedback guys.

On the vertical slots, I know I have heard on the GB Simian and Ergo Bags that it is best to put the discs in backwards or upside down (flight plate to the back or bottom) would this help at all for this bag as well if put in this way. Just a thought.

Been putting them in upside down (flightplate down). It is more an issue that the pockets could have used bigger and better internal stiffeners.

Great feedback guys.

On the vertical slots, I know I have heard on the GB Simian and Ergo Bags that it is best to put the discs in backwards or upside down (flight plate to the back or bottom) would this help at all for this bag as well if put in this way. Just a thought.

How much are the rebels? I just saw a pic of one on another page and it was love at first sight.

How much are the rebels? I just saw a pic of one on another page and it was love at first sight.

Preorders were $220. I think I heard it's going up to $245 once it's out for reals. It's definitely a great bag

I'm still really digging my Shift. And so has irtually everyone who has asked about it and checked it out.

I sure do hope they get a rain fly sorted out by October (when the rain comes back to Portland) though.

Anyone else with a Rebel want to chime in on the Pros and Cons of the bag?

It's a really nice bag, feels super light on the back and the weight is positioned low in the bag. I honestly think it's one of the nicest bags on the market. Only cons I can think of is the lack of top storage like on a Ranger etc. if you like having that.

I want to share my story so far with UPD.

I've been drooling over all 3 bags since I find the company through a Google search. I read the reviews here and the drool continued (Tha KS for sharing BTW guys) and I decided to email them with concerns.

My message was a bit lengthy, but I've been waiting for a while to pull the trigger on a pro quality bag so I expressed my concerns. My message was sent at 4:17pm today. UPD had a response in my inbox at 4:25. Incredible. The believe in their product hands down no question. The response left me with no questions or doubts. I'm still waiting on a response from grip and lat64, but as they say, you snooze you lose.

I will put in my order for a rebel tomorrow. Just need to make sure I choose the right color.

Blue, black, or green? Help!

Look for my review within the next couple of weeks here in the forums. I also plan on using some quality cameras to put together a video overview of the rebel that matches the awesome quality of the bag.

I'll be comparing it to my previous bags; 1st run grip, innova competition, innova disccarrier, fade competition, and my current bag the salient helix. Which is sub part to say the least BTW.

Thanks to UPD for having the best customer service I've experienced in a long long time. Very encouraging guys thank you.

first off, thanks to davidrboy for answering a ton of questions I had about this bag before I ordered it.

here's some pics of my Shift:

14908344266_154ce939fb_c.jpg

you can fit 14-16 discs easily with 8 (two in each pocket) on the outside pouches, then 2-3 discs for each of the three vertical pockets.

a 32oz nalgene bottle fits easily in the bottle pocket. inside the main compartment there is a mesh pouch lining each side (so two mesh divider pouches to put stuff in. you can fit a extra standard 20oz water bottles inside on each mesh pouch and still have room for a jacket/sweater extra stuff.

or you can fit two jackets (i fit a thin hooded waterproof shell, and a down hooded jacket into the main compartment.

the side pouches that act as side support can fit cellphones and snacks. the side pockets/pouches are actually anchor points for the shoulder straps (see picture above) so it create a nice snug supported fit when you have the bag on.

there is a mini disc pocket on the top which can also fit a small clipboard + scorecard. two pencil/pen/sharpie pockets on either side of the water bottle pouch.

the bag stands up nicely securely even on inclines. it has feet and a water proof bottom.

14928247991_567eeda8a5_c.jpg

first off the ideal capacity is about 14-16 discs but you can see from the photo above that you can jam 20+ discs by loading up three discs on each side pocket then three discs for each inside vertical pocket then even put about 7 putters into the storage space below. Actual amount of discs jammed in? (9 putters -darts, 7 midranges 5 comets and 2 roc3s, 2 valkyries, 1 leopard, 2 tee birds, 3 wraiths, and 1 tern). thats a TON of discs

of course I'm not going to do that for a round, but its convenient when I want to do a lot of field work and practice before my round. that way I can just carry everything out to the field and practice basket and get my warm up/practice putting in, then go back to my car then drop off all the excess discs and start my round.

heres the actual amount of discs I play with though:

3 putters (darts)
3 midranges (two comets and one roc3)
3 fairway drivers (two tee birds one leopard)
5 distance drivers (one valkyrie, 3 wraiths, one tern).

often times I'll only being playing with just the 8 discs on the outside pockets (2 darts, 1 comet, one roc3, two wraiths, one tee bird, and one valkyrie, and just have the front pocket zipped up. i keep a maxweight overstable teebird, a heavy 180g wraith, leopard, and extra dart and comet inside just in case I need extra distance/heavy headwinds or get out of jail discs extras if I lose one during a round.

Latest posts