• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

that sounds excellent, and thanks for the response.

any issues with the aluminum stay poking through the top yet, or did you get it trimmed down? also, any new pros/cons jump out at you after using it for a couple months?

I trimmed 3/4" or so off the stay and have had no problem since. I push it back down about once per round, but no problem other than minor annoyance.

Except for the lack of a rain fly, only pros. Carries 10 drivers, 4 mids and three putters REALLY comfortably. Light and cool on your back. Good storage too.

I really dig it, and love it for summer rounds. But it just ain't gonna work in steady rain.

I trimmed 3/4" or so off the stay and have had no problem since. I push it back down about once per round, but no problem other than minor annoyance.

Except for the lack of a rain fly, only pros. Carries 10 drivers, 4 mids and three putters REALLY comfortably. Light and cool on your back. Good storage too.

I really dig it, and love it for summer rounds. But it just ain't gonna work in steady rain.

Assuming they haven't fixed the stay issue, I'll probably do that as well. and it sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for in a DG backpack. I have a couple Voodoo box-type bags and a plasti-dipped crunch box that handle my winter/tourney needs pretty well, but sometimes a dude wants to go lightweight. I'm a bit of a nut for camping gear and packs in general so I'm hoping the stitching and fabrics don't disappoint, but the pics in here (thanks to you and runningDoc in particular) look pretty solid.

Anyone know what the Shift weighs empty? Does it feel lite on your back. Easy on and off?

After spending a lovely weekend with my Shift, I may never wear another DG bag again (in nice weather). This is my first backpack-style DG bag, and I am completely sold. Some local flat courses, plus 2 rounds at the extremely hilly Wildcat Bluffs , and my back is completely pain-free.

As long as you don't need to carry 28 discs and a stool, umbrella and kitchen sink the Shift is worth consideration. I had 15 discs, a down vest, birdie bag, flask, 2 nalgenes and some random other gear in the bag and it carried effortlessly. I'll get some more pics and a more detailed review put up here soon, but DAMN this is a nice bag.

Anyone know what the Shift weighs empty? Does it feel lite on your back. Easy on and off?

I haven't scaled it but it can't be more than 3 pounds. It feels fantastic on the back and goes on/off really easily. I removed the sternum and waist straps, because they just aren't needed. As a reference, I am 6' tall 210lbs and this thing feels tailored for me.

Last edited:
2lbs 9.8oz for mine:

15282680989_1087f56b8a_c.jpg

As long as you don't need to carry 28 discs and a stool, umbrella and kitchen sink the Shift is worth consideration. I had 15 discs, a down vest, birdie bag, flask, 2 nalgenes and some random other gear in the bag and it carried effortlessly. I'll get some more pics and a more detailed review put up here soon, but DAMN this is a nice bag.

I haven't scaled it but it can't be more than 3 pounds. It feels fantastic on the back and goes on/off really easily. I removed the sternum and waist straps, because they just aren't needed. As a reference, I am 6' tall 210lbs and this thing feels tailored for me.

it really is a comfortable bag. It feels like a standard medium sized North Face/Jansport/ect backpack on the back. Its probably the best bag on the market for that 14-17 disc capacity + light jacket/sweater/personal stuff/snacks/32oz nalgnene bottle and extra drink(s) zone.

someone locally was trying to sell there C14 agile bag and I looked at it and was smitten (because they look awesome and are so well made), but realized that the storage wasn't going to be more than just discs, hydration, and personal belongings.

Shift pix

A few pictures of it loaded up. I find the top inside slot to work perfectly as a putter quiver by just unzipping the top edge of the flap. everything inside stays safe and I can get at the putters a little easier up top than in the mesh side slots.

Attachments

• gametime.jpg
    gametime.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 184
  • on, side.jpg
    on, side.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 188
  • open side.jpg
    open side.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 181
A few pictures of it loaded up. I find the top inside slot to work perfectly as a putter quiver by just unzipping the top edge of the flap. everything inside stays safe and I can get at the putters a little easier up top than in the mesh side slots.

^NIIIICE orange looks great!

I keep my putters in the top now to as a "quiver" too. I love keeping the zippers pulled up and have my other discs in the vertical storage covered up and "secret".. lol

so I'll keep the firebird, gator, or fresh brinster bird in there then reach in and take it out like a special relief pitcher coming in to a baseball game.

^NIIIICE orange looks great!

I keep my putters in the top now to as a "quiver" too. I love keeping the zippers pulled up and have my other discs in the vertical storage covered up and "secret".. lol

so I'll keep the firebird, gator, or fresh brinster bird in there then reach in and take it out like a special relief pitcher coming in to a baseball game.

Yeah I really dig the color, not quite construction orange but really nice.

its funny you should say that, I have a blank champ leopard that gets more "what WAS that?" than anything else I own and it lives in the "secret" slots. now when I pull it out from down inside my bag I have visions of pulling excalibur from a rock. :cool:

Upper Park Designs | It's time to grow.

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you guys know that I check this forum daily and am here if you need anything. I leave the general questions for you guys to answer because I think it means more coming out of your mouths then mine. Granted, I could have answered the empty Shift weight question :doh: I'll step in if I feel like something needs to be addressed, but you guys have all been really great so far. Your feedback and compliments are exactly why we began this company and I love reading everything you guys have to say, even if it is something we need to improve on.

It's pretty clear that we are one of the smaller backpack companies in disc golf, but we feel like we have so much more to offer. Not just through newer versions of our current products, but with the bank of new ideas we have yet to dive into. You all know that the majority of bags in this sport (some more than others) reflect similarly to each other. While that may work for some, we strive to continue our path of stylish, unique, and functional designs for as long as we are around.

So here I am, asking you guys for suggestions on how we can extend our reach and grow our small company. We want customers to get their hands on our bags so we are starting to get into wholesale (currently in 15 stores across the US). If you know anyone who would be interested in stocking our bags, have them email [email protected] and we will ship you one of our new Upper Park minis for free for your good effort. Note: make sure we know the lead came from you. We are also officially sponsoring 5 players, with more to come. We have tried to be apart of tournament sponsorship but being so young, money is tight. And we have touched on an Ambassador program where you would get your own discount code and be rewarded (discs/bags, gift cards, cash) for getting sales locally. Sound interesting? Any other suggestions on how we can continue to grow?

We are looking forward to the future!

Cheers,
Jon Richardson
CEO/Co-Founder
[email protected]

Thanks! It's nice to know when a company wants to listen to feedback and suggestions.

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you guys know that I check this forum daily and am here if you need anything. I leave the general questions for you guys to answer because I think it means more coming out of your mouths then mine. Granted, I could have answered the empty Shift weight question :doh: I'll step in if I feel like something needs to be addressed, but you guys have all been really great so far. Your feedback and compliments are exactly why we began this company and I love reading everything you guys have to say, even if it is something we need to improve on.

It's pretty clear that we are one of the smaller backpack companies in disc golf, but we feel like we have so much more to offer. Not just through newer versions of our current products, but with the bank of new ideas we have yet to dive into. You all know that the majority of bags in this sport (some more than others) reflect similarly to each other. While that may work for some, we strive to continue our path of stylish, unique, and functional designs for as long as we are around.

So here I am, asking you guys for suggestions on how we can extend our reach and grow our small company. We want customers to get their hands on our bags so we are starting to get into wholesale (currently in 15 stores across the US). If you know anyone who would be interested in stocking our bags, have them email [email protected] and we will ship you one of our new Upper Park minis for free for your good effort. Note: make sure we know the lead came from you. We are also officially sponsoring 5 players, with more to come. We have tried to be apart of tournament sponsorship but being so young, money is tight. And we have touched on an Ambassador program where you would get your own discount code and be rewarded (discs/bags, gift cards, cash) for getting sales locally. Sound interesting? Any other suggestions on how we can continue to grow?

We are looking forward to the future!

Cheers,
Jon Richardson
CEO/Co-Founder
[email protected]

I don't carry your any of your bags currently, but I have always loved your customer service model.

Your company is a class act all the way. :clap:

Really diggin the Shift more and more after a couple weeks with it. I've since played a few night rounds with my mojo and BOY do I not miss quad straps!

Someone mentioned earlier that the 3 feet are only through the bottom material and not the harder material inside, which may turn out to be a weak spot. That is my only issue. Comfort is off the charts, material and build quality is top notch, design is brilliant. I just can't say enough about this bag. Some good engineering went into it, one of my favorite pieces being the carry handle that is stitched on in a way to create daisy chain loops on either side. I put a D-ring on one and hang my opener on the other, just one more (among many) good idea from Upper Park Designs.
attachment.php

A buddy liked mine so much that he sold his Lat64 Luxury bag and snagged a black Shift. Looks like Halloween in Iowa.

attachment.php

Attachments

• handle daisy.jpg
    handle daisy.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 362
  • bros.jpg
    bros.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 362
holy giant photos, my apologies for the format ruination.

@UPD: I noticed there may be separation starting to occur between my left strap and the bag itself, and with as few rounds under its belt as I've had it's a bit troubling. Assuming this grows and actually starts to tear that is covered in your 1year warranty correct? I can post a picture if necessary.

:popcorn:

Latest posts