• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Upper Park Designs Backpack Bags

I've got to give a big shout out to UPD.

Just got my upgraded "New Shift" and man, is thing this amazing. They addressed my two main issues with the original, and hit a complete homerun with this one!! The large insulated cupholder is excellent. The raised disc slots open up the entire bottom of the bag and create the storage I was lacking in the v1. Improved mesh/elastic side pockets are much easier to get discs in and out of. Rainfly? Check! Love the mini holder and as always, it's the most comfortable DG backpack on the planet!

UPD killed it with this revision, and Jon is a quality guy who went above and beyond to take care of me. As a fellow small business owner, I appreciate the attention to detail and customer service which are the hallmarks of UPD.

Thanks again Jon, you're a class act and I'm a customer for life!!

I've had a Rebel (v.2) for several months now, and have really enjoyed it. Quality bag, comfortable to wear. But the simple truth is, it's more bag than I need. I think carrying around 22+ discs is proving harmful to my game. I know I don't HAVE to carry that many in the Rebel, but in disc golf as in other areas, my gear expands to fill the available space. And if I carry them, I feel compelled to use them.

I feel like the "sweet spot" for me would be about 15-16 discs or so: maybe 8 or so molds, with backups for most, maybe an extra putter or two for putting practice. I've heard great things about the Shift and think that might be my perfect bag. For those of you that have carried both the Shift and the Rebel: what is your experience carrying them? Can you compare them weight- and comfort-wise when they are fully loaded? How much less storage is there in the Shift? I don't think the single drink holder would be much of an issue, since I don't usually go out for multiple round days.

Also, if anyone with a Shift is looking to "bag up" to a Rebel, message me...maybe we can work something out.
I know this is an older post, but I'll pm you. I do have a Shift and I am looking to step up!

Curious here... what are Shifts going for on the used market? I am really interested in upgrading from my Embark Jartop that is now about 3 years old, but $140 is looking a bit too steep and I need the storage so the focus is a no go.

Hi all!
I have a Shift V2 and a Shift V4. The V2 has a metal piece that keeps the back of the bag straight. You can see the top of the metal piece if you look in the small hole inside the top of the bag, right under the mini pocket.

My V4 doesn't have this metal piece and the back panel bends a little between the lower and upper pads when the bag is placed on ground. Is this the way it should be, or is my V4 missing the back panel support?

Hi all!
My V4 doesn't have this metal piece and the back panel bends a little between the lower and upper pads when the bag is placed on ground. Is this the way it should be, or is my V4 missing the back panel support?

The metal piece in the back panel is present on our Shift and Rebel models. It's called a "stay". Every Shift since v2 should have this stay in the back panel. Due to the way we've changed the back panel material it may not be as noticeable, but you should definitely be able to feel the metal piece inside the mini pocket and it should not be bending at the lower back. That piece of metal should be solid from top to bottom. If it bends anywhere it will be where the back panel meets the base of the bag.

Feel free to submit a ticket with photos and we can chat about it! www.upperparkdesigns.freshdesk.com

Thanks for the reply! The stay is definitely missing from my bag. I'll handle this with the retailer I bought the bag from.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't have noticed there's anything wrong with the bag if I didn't have the v2 to compare it with. :)
It's still very comfortable when wearing it and it doesn't even tip over when placed on ground. It only looks a bit weird, and accessing the main storage is more difficult.

Hi all!
I have a Shift V2 and a Shift V4. The V2 has a metal piece that keeps the back of the bag straight. You can see the top of the metal piece if you look in the small hole inside the top of the bag, right under the mini pocket.

I just got my new v4 and it definitely has the metal stay running down the back. It was one of the biggest improvements from my v2. You can clearly see and feel the tab sticking up behind the mini/stash pocket.

Man I want to get one of these bags so bad. I'm trying to lower the number of docs and throw and get something more comfortable. Just trying to see if I can make it through the current season with my existing bag. Ahhh why are these choice so tough:)

For all you shift owners. The side stretchy pockets, when not in use do you keep discs stored in those pockets? Curious, if discs are stored in those pockets and they are continually stretched will those pockets wear out sooner? Thoughts?

For all you shift owners. The side stretchy pockets, when not in use do you keep discs stored in those pockets? Curious, if discs are stored in those pockets and they are continually stretched will those pockets wear out sooner? Thoughts?

The bag stands up better with discs in those pockets. My Shift is still very new, so there's no way of knowing for sure how they'll hold up over time, but they seem pretty durable.

I've had my Shift for 11 months now and with heavy use (nearly daily) I have no problems with the side pockets elastic getting loose. I always have 4-6 discs per side and I can still put one disc in and have no concern for it falling out, however, as Brad said, it will stand better when it's filled.

Completed my first round with the Shift. Awesome bag, I would recommend Upper Park to any of my friends!!

Attachments

• IMG_1184.jpg
    IMG_1184.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 100
what's the secret to getting an iron on patch to stick to the water holder? I had a 'be dynamic' patch on there but it peeled straight off the other day, with no trace of glue left behind at all.

Latest posts